From: Quadibloc on
On Apr 13, 4:02 pm, "Del Cecchi" <delcec...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> What idiot wired the plug in your bathroom?

Here, electrical plugs, on a metal plate, with a warning that they are
only to be used for razors, which receive power only when the lights
are turned on, are the norm in home washrooms. I presume it is
required by the electrical code.

I visited British Columbia some years back, and found that there
things are even stranger. A bathroom in a motel - it was new
construction - was designed according to a recent building code which
required that the light switch be on the *outside* of the washroom.

Because people use water in sinks and bathtubs in a washroom, it is
considered that washrooms present an extreme electrocution hazard.

John Savard
From: nmm1 on
In article <861eb09d-7ae6-44b4-964b-8b457bbd7970(a)z3g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
Quadibloc <jsavard(a)ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>On Apr 13, 4:02=A0pm, "Del Cecchi" <delcec...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What idiot wired the plug in your bathroom?
>
>Here, electrical plugs, on a metal plate, with a warning that they are
>only to be used for razors, which receive power only when the lights
>are turned on, are the norm in home washrooms. I presume it is
>required by the electrical code.

They're pretty common here, too.

>I visited British Columbia some years back, and found that there
>things are even stranger. A bathroom in a motel - it was new
>construction - was designed according to a recent building code which
>required that the light switch be on the *outside* of the washroom.

It's sometimes done in the UK and other countries, though pull
cords are more common here.

>Because people use water in sinks and bathtubs in a washroom, it is
>considered that washrooms present an extreme electrocution hazard.

Yup.

The strangest thing that I ever saw was an ordinary 3-pin power
outlet mounted inside a washroom just above the door - I assume
that it was for a heater, and the outlet had to be 'out of reach',
though whether that was regulations or the installer's bright idea,
I can't say.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Robert Myers on
On Apr 16, 3:50 pm, n...(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:
> In article <861eb09d-7ae6-44b4-964b-8b457bbd7...(a)z3g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
>
> Quadibloc  <jsav...(a)ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
> >On Apr 13, 4:02=A0pm, "Del Cecchi" <delcec...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >Because people use water in sinks and bathtubs in a washroom, it is
> >considered that washrooms present an extreme electrocution hazard.
>
> Yup.
>
> The strangest thing that I ever saw was an ordinary 3-pin power
> outlet mounted inside a washroom just above the door - I assume
> that it was for a heater, and the outlet had to be 'out of reach',
> though whether that was regulations or the installer's bright idea,
> I can't say.

I have regular receptacle near the sink with a "ground fault
interruptor," which I assume cuts the power if the ground gets hot
(say, from throwing a hair dryer into a bathtub full of water).

If you have an unusually cool summer, btw, do *not* assume it is
because of disruption of thermohaline transport in the North
Atlantic. ;-)

I wonder how the silicate aerosol transport models are doing. Lots of
color plots being cranked out, I'm sure. Needless to say, no one
predicted the eruption, so far as I know.

Robert.