From: brad.barton on
Berk Birand wrote:

> * It doesn't have that many probability mass distributions. They got
> Normal, Chi-square and a few others, but what happened to the Binomial
> and the Poisson? I would especially expect them to have the cumulative
> distribution functions for those. Also the cdf for the Normal
> distribution is 'upper-tail' so to do P(X<x), I need to perform an extra
> subtraction (1-P(X>x)). What is the reason for that, I don't understand.

Mr. Birand,

I see from your other posts you're doing quite well exploring the 50G's
capabilities. It gives us long-time users hope to see another
potential convert working through the HP learning curve.

As to this question above, Gilberto Urroz's 2 volume set on the HP-49G
covers probability mass distributions as an exercise in Chapter 6 in
Volume 1. Specifically he shares the programs for these discrete
functions:

Binomial Probability Distribution Function
Binomial Cumulative Distribution Functinon
Poisson Probability Distribution
Poisson Distribution Function
Hypergeometric Prob. Distr.
Geometric Distr. Funct.

And also these continuous functions:

Gamma Distribution
Gamma PDF
Gamma CDF
Beta PDF
Beta CDF
Exponential PDF
Exponential CDF
Weibull PDF
Weibull CDF

It's a bit tedious typing them all in, but once you've done it and
assigned them all to their own statistics directory, you never have to
do it again. Plus if you don't want to perform that extra subtraction
for the Normal Distribution, just program it that way.

BTW, I highly recommend Mr. Urroz's books. They are titled "Science
and Engineering Mathematics with the HP 49G", come in 2 Volumes, and
are available at Amazon, or maybe Half.com. Keep in mind that they
were written with the 49G in mind, so a few of the keystrokes are
slightly different (for example, you don't have to use LS to access the
single quote character on the 49G+ or 50G, but you do on the 49).
Also, the subject matter organization could be a bit better, but for
the price, they are a treasure trove of useful information.