From: Unknown on
All you need is MSE Microsoft Security Essentials

From: Donald Anadell on

"Spring10" <Spring10(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi:
> I installed Norton, however I needed to uninstall it because there are
> many sort of problems.
>
> What or which kind of Anti-Virus, preferrably 'free.' I need only
> 'simple/basis' form of Anti-Virus.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you are going to uninstall Norton, be sure to download and run their
removal tool for your product:
http://service1.symantec.com/support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Then(as others have suggested) you can download and install MSE(Microsoft
Security Essentials):
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

From: Rhino on

"Donald Anadell" <danadell(a)nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message

> "Spring10" <Spring10(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hi:
>> I installed Norton, however I needed to uninstall it because there are
>> many sort of problems.
>>
>> What or which kind of Anti-Virus, preferrably 'free.' I need only
>> 'simple/basis' form of Anti-Virus.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> If you are going to uninstall Norton, be sure to download and run their
> removal tool for your product:
> http://service1.symantec.com/support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Agreed! I used to do tech support and we found that Norton rarely got
removed cleanly and completely with a normal uninstall; you almost always
had to run the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of all of the bits and pieces
of Norton.

> Then(as others have suggested) you can download and install MSE(Microsoft
> Security Essentials):
> http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

I'm not endorsing THIS suggestion since I've never used or even heard much
about Microsoft Security Essentials.

--
Rhino

From: Donald Anadell on

"Rhino" <no.offline.contact.please(a)example.com> wrote in message

> "Donald Anadell" <danadell(a)nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Spring10" <Spring10(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi:
>>> I installed Norton, however I needed to uninstall it because there are
>>> many sort of problems.
>>>
>>> What or which kind of Anti-Virus, preferrably 'free.' I need only
>>> 'simple/basis' form of Anti-Virus.
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> If you are going to uninstall Norton, be sure to download and run their
>> removal tool for your product:
>> http://service1.symantec.com/support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
>>
> Agreed! I used to do tech support and we found that Norton rarely got
> removed cleanly and completely with a normal uninstall; you almost always
> had to run the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of all of the bits and
> pieces of Norton.
>
>> Then(as others have suggested) you can download and install MSE(Microsoft
>> Security Essentials):
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
>>
> I'm not endorsing THIS suggestion since I've never used or even heard much
> about Microsoft Security Essentials.

Quite honesty, I don't remember asking you to endorse my suggestions;)
Since you don't even have your Windows XP updated to the latest Service Pack
I would think that security enhancements are not high on your priority list
anyway.

If you've never heard of MSE and you want to bone up on it, I've provided a
few links to get your started.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Security_Essentials
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/mse.asp

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

From: Nil on
On 14 Jul 2010, "Spring10" <Spring10(a)comcast.net> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> What or which kind of Anti-Virus, preferrably 'free.' I need only
> 'simple/basis' form of Anti-Virus.

I like Avira Antivir and Avast! Antivirus. Both have free versions.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Video Preview Not Available
Next: Scanner Weirdness