From: Daave on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
>> Andy wrote:
>>> How do you control this virus? My computer got hit. I am up to date
>>> on all
>>> my virus software, and Windows update, Fireall, etc. I couldn't
>>> control my
>>> computer, and had to go to the shop. They got it out, and they said
>>> that there is no way
>>> in stopping this when it hits. Help.
>>
>> This page seems to have lots of relevant information:
>>
>> http://www.411-spyware.com/remove-antivirus-pro-2010
>
> that was one set of manual removal instructions that i followed
> without success.
> spyware doctor, which is promoted on that site, did identify the
> virus with their free scan tool but they wanted $39 to purchase the
> program to remove it... i could not help but think it that if it
> can't be manually removed, and can't be removed by all the other
> antivirus programs i tried, then it also would likely fail to be
> removed by spyware doctor.

Quite possible.

My advice is to never click on those advertisement links. (Actually,
they get filtered on my PC. :-) )

From: Christopher Muto on
> Christopher Muto wrote:
>> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> This page seems to have lots of relevant information:
>>>
>>> http://www.411-spyware.com/remove-antivirus-pro-2010
>>
>> that was one set of manual removal instructions that i followed
>> without success.
>> spyware doctor, which is promoted on that site, did identify the
>> virus with their free scan tool but they wanted $39 to purchase the
>> program to remove it... i could not help but think it that if it
>> can't be manually removed, and can't be removed by all the other
>> antivirus programs i tried, then it also would likely fail to be
>> removed by spyware doctor.
>
> Quite possible.
>
> My advice is to never click on those advertisement links. (Actually, they
> get filtered on my PC. :-) )

good approach. but spyware doctor is supposed to be a highly regarded
product. i just doubt that it is any better than anything else and found
the 'free scan' without repair a sleazy way to sell a product. malware
detection/removal is a game a leapfrog and with the latest variant of
antivirus pro 2010 it appears that the malware is currently in the lead.
out of curiosity i spent way too much time trying to remove it... but it
beat me and i had to reload the entire system.