From: Andy on
How do you control this virus? My computer got hit. I am up to date on
all
my virus software, and Windows update, Fireall, etc. I couldn't
control my
computer, and had to go to the shop. They got it out, and they said
that there is no way
in stopping this when it hits. Help.
From: Christopher Muto on
i recently got hit with a variant of "antivirus pro" called "antivirus pro
2010" and though there is much information on the web about variants that
can be removed this particular one could not. it prevented antivurus
software from running and it blocked access to the task manger. i was able
to gain access to the task manager using a policy edit like described here:
http://www.pchell.com/support/taskmanagerdisabled.shtml
and that allowed me to then end the process called 'svhast.exe' (named to
look like the familiar 'svhost.exe') and then i was able to run antivirus
software but nothing would successfully clean it including malwarebytes,
avast, trendmicro, and others... the entire machine had to be reloaded.
the machine was a fully patched and up to date windows xp pro machine
running internet explorer 8 and avast free. this taught me that the
difference between avast free and avast paid antivirus is that the paid
version has a script scanner. i used to think avast free was superior to
avg free but avg free has what they call a link scanner that i believe would
have prevented the infection. the site i got it from was legitimate
reseller of used dell servers called flagshiptech that i have alerted of the
problem.

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> How do you control this virus?

If you are not, considering using a third party web browser. This
scourge is delivered via drive-by download. I know IE will fall to it,
not sure about Firefox but think I have seen a variant for that as
well. It seems unlikely that Safari or Opera would. More often than
not, this all starts with a full screen popup ad that you can't get
rid of, short of killing your browser with the Task Manager. To a less
experienced user, there's no way out short of actually installing the
thing.

All of the "regular suspects" in malware removal don't usually find
all of this program's bits and pieces. It's closely related to the
SmitFraud family of rogue security programs, and sometimes
SmitFraudFix can help. And if it won't, careful examination of the
system with a report generator such as HijackThis! can help you figure
out what is wrong. (Or you can send the report to a few different
sites where such reports are welcome.)

I have found that sometimes it takes putting the hard drive from the
infested computer into a healthy system and doing the cleanup from
there.

There are ways to stop it. Consider the use of another browser if
you're using IE. There are a few good choices. Don't visit any
suspicious web sites. Consider doing your web browsing as a limited
rights user. Tools like DropMyRights or Sandboxie might also be
useful. And don't forget about software that supports the display of
content while you browse--it should be updated as well.

William
From: Daave on
Andy wrote:
> How do you control this virus? My computer got hit. I am up to date on
> all
> my virus software, and Windows update, Fireall, etc. I couldn't
> control my
> computer, and had to go to the shop. They got it out, and they said
> that there is no way
> in stopping this when it hits. Help.

This page seems to have lots of relevant information:

http://www.411-spyware.com/remove-antivirus-pro-2010

From: Christopher Muto on
"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>> How do you control this virus? My computer got hit. I am up to date on
>> all
>> my virus software, and Windows update, Fireall, etc. I couldn't
>> control my
>> computer, and had to go to the shop. They got it out, and they said
>> that there is no way
>> in stopping this when it hits. Help.
>
> This page seems to have lots of relevant information:
>
> http://www.411-spyware.com/remove-antivirus-pro-2010

that was one set of manual removal instructions that i followed without
success.
spyware doctor, which is promoted on that site, did identify the virus with
their free scan tool but they wanted $39 to purchase the program to remove
it... i could not help but think it that if it can't be manually removed,
and can't be removed by all the other antivirus programs i tried, then it
also would likely fail to be removed by spyware doctor.