From: vbDavidC on
Guys,

I have to fess up and say this computer is not a Dell computer, but
since I post here quite a bit I figured some of you brilliant posters
could possibly help me out.

I have had this computer Intel motherboard D865PERL (genuine Intel
board) and it has been running great for me. However, I want my
daughter to be able to run 'The Sims 3' on this PC which requires at
least a 2.0GHz processor. I thought I was in good shape but for some
it shows up in Windows (System Properties and CPUID utility) and in
the System BIOS at 1.6GHz. The CPUID utility shows the spec as being
2.8. It is a Northwood P4 (socket 478).

The System BIOS does not really show any setting changes to make.

I bought the CPU several years ago off of Craigslist used so I don't
know some overclocker guy cooked it or something. I am just grasping
for straws.

Any ideas?

thanks
From: Tom Scales on

Could be SpeedStep slowing it down when it doesn't need ful speed.

From: Ben Myers on
vbDavidC wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I have to fess up and say this computer is not a Dell computer, but
> since I post here quite a bit I figured some of you brilliant posters
> could possibly help me out.
>
> I have had this computer Intel motherboard D865PERL (genuine Intel
> board) and it has been running great for me. However, I want my
> daughter to be able to run 'The Sims 3' on this PC which requires at
> least a 2.0GHz processor. I thought I was in good shape but for some
> it shows up in Windows (System Properties and CPUID utility) and in
> the System BIOS at 1.6GHz. The CPUID utility shows the spec as being
> 2.8. It is a Northwood P4 (socket 478).
>
> The System BIOS does not really show any setting changes to make.
>
> I bought the CPU several years ago off of Craigslist used so I don't
> know some overclocker guy cooked it or something. I am just grasping
> for straws.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks

What is the sSpec of the CPU, imprinted on the top? Could it be one of
the Socket 478 CPUs done my Intel for the early desktop replacement type
laptops, such as the Inspiron 5100/5150 and some Toshibas and HPs?

Have you updated the BIOS to the latest from Intel? I ran into
something very similar when I put a 3.0GHz P4 with 1MB external cache
into a Precision 370 and the BIOS showed 1.6Ghz speed. Once I updated
the BIOS, the system showed the correct speed both in BIOS and in
Windows... Ben Myers
From: vbDavidC on
On Oct 25, 10:27 pm, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> vbDavidC wrote:
> > Guys,
>
> > I have to fess up and say this computer is not a Dell computer, but
> > since I post here quite a bit I figured some of you brilliant posters
> > could possibly help me out.
>
> > I have had this computer Intel motherboard D865PERL (genuine Intel
> > board) and it has been running great for me.  However, I want my
> > daughter to be able to run 'The Sims 3' on this PC which requires at
> > least a 2.0GHz processor.  I thought I was in good shape but for some
> > it shows up in Windows (System Properties and CPUID utility) and in
> > the System BIOS at 1.6GHz.  The CPUID utility shows the spec as being
> > 2.8.  It is a Northwood P4 (socket 478).
>
> > The System BIOS does not really show any setting changes to make.
>
> > I bought the CPU several years ago off of Craigslist used so I don't
> > know some overclocker guy cooked it or something.  I am just grasping
> > for straws.
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> > thanks
>
> What is the sSpec of the CPU, imprinted on the top?  Could it be one of
> the Socket 478 CPUs done my Intel for the early desktop replacement type
> laptops, such as the Inspiron 5100/5150 and some Toshibas and HPs?
>
> Have you updated the BIOS to the latest from Intel?  I ran into
> something very similar when I put a 3.0GHz P4 with 1MB external cache
> into a Precision 370 and the BIOS showed 1.6Ghz speed.  Once I updated
> the BIOS, the system showed the correct speed both in BIOS and in
> Windows... Ben Myers

It is a desktop CPU and shows 2.8 on the chip. I have the latest
BIOS. I am tempted to see if I can try a previous version just to see
what happens.
From: Ben Myers on
vbDavidC wrote:
> On Oct 25, 10:27 pm, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
>> vbDavidC wrote:
>>> Guys,
>>> I have to fess up and say this computer is not a Dell computer, but
>>> since I post here quite a bit I figured some of you brilliant posters
>>> could possibly help me out.
>>> I have had this computer Intel motherboard D865PERL (genuine Intel
>>> board) and it has been running great for me. However, I want my
>>> daughter to be able to run 'The Sims 3' on this PC which requires at
>>> least a 2.0GHz processor. I thought I was in good shape but for some
>>> it shows up in Windows (System Properties and CPUID utility) and in
>>> the System BIOS at 1.6GHz. The CPUID utility shows the spec as being
>>> 2.8. It is a Northwood P4 (socket 478).
>>> The System BIOS does not really show any setting changes to make.
>>> I bought the CPU several years ago off of Craigslist used so I don't
>>> know some overclocker guy cooked it or something. I am just grasping
>>> for straws.
>>> Any ideas?
>>> thanks
>> What is the sSpec of the CPU, imprinted on the top? Could it be one of
>> the Socket 478 CPUs done my Intel for the early desktop replacement type
>> laptops, such as the Inspiron 5100/5150 and some Toshibas and HPs?
>>
>> Have you updated the BIOS to the latest from Intel? I ran into
>> something very similar when I put a 3.0GHz P4 with 1MB external cache
>> into a Precision 370 and the BIOS showed 1.6Ghz speed. Once I updated
>> the BIOS, the system showed the correct speed both in BIOS and in
>> Windows... Ben Myers
>
> It is a desktop CPU and shows 2.8 on the chip. I have the latest
> BIOS. I am tempted to see if I can try a previous version just to see
> what happens.

Just to verify that this is a desktop CPU, what is the the sSpec? The
sSpec is printed on the top of the CPU and looks something like SL4KX.
Once you have the sSpec, just put it into Google to get the CPU
specifications.

Socket 478 CPUs that look just like the desktop ones were cranked out
for the desktop replacement. if somehow you got one of those, that
would explain why the CPU is running at 1.6Ghz. I have several of
these, pulled from dead laptops, and they behave EXACTLY this way when
in a desktop board. In a laptop motherboard, there is a circuit that
runs from the AC adapter power supply electronics to one of the CPU
pins, telling it to run at maximum speed when running with a power
supply, or 1.6 when on battery... Ben