From: rogespeed on

> GUEST wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I have to fess up and say this computer is not a Dell computer, but
> since I post here quite a bit I figured some of you brilliant
posters
> could possibly help me out.
>
> I have had this computer Intel motherboard D865PERL (genuine Intel
> board) and it has been running great for me. However, I want my
> daughter to be able to run 'The Sims 3' on this PC which requires
at
> least a 2.0GHz processor. I thought I was in good shape but for
some
> it shows up in Windows (System Properties and CPUID utility) and in
> the System BIOS at 1.6GHz. The CPUID utility shows the spec as
being
> 2.8. It is a Northwood P4 (socket 478).
>
> The System BIOS does not really show any setting changes to make.
>
> I bought the CPU several years ago off of Craigslist used so I
don't
> know some overclocker guy cooked it or something. I am just
grasping
> for straws.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks

Hi - just for your information , I suggest consult
cpu-z utility (freeware)
and note the cpu config settings
for a 2800Mhz 533MHz FSB , rated bus speed should be 133MHz (socket
478 Intel's are quad pumped) with multiplier of 21x
my guess is the multiplier is set for 12x (=1600MHz)
Yes, someone manually configured the BIOS setup for cpu config who
possibly has dyslexia
, so that being a BIOS config issue, just enter BIOS setup and
manually configure the cpu multiplier to 21x
no problems

From: Ben Myers on
rogespeed wrote:
> > GUEST wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > I have to fess up and say this computer is not a Dell computer, but
> > since I post here quite a bit I figured some of you brilliant
> posters
> > could possibly help me out.
> >
> > I have had this computer Intel motherboard D865PERL (genuine Intel
> > board) and it has been running great for me. However, I want my
> > daughter to be able to run 'The Sims 3' on this PC which requires
> at
> > least a 2.0GHz processor. I thought I was in good shape but for
> some
> > it shows up in Windows (System Properties and CPUID utility) and in
> > the System BIOS at 1.6GHz. The CPUID utility shows the spec as
> being
> > 2.8. It is a Northwood P4 (socket 478).
> >
> > The System BIOS does not really show any setting changes to make.
> >
> > I bought the CPU several years ago off of Craigslist used so I
> don't
> > know some overclocker guy cooked it or something. I am just
> grasping
> > for straws.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > thanks
>
> Hi - just for your information , I suggest consult
> cpu-z utility (freeware)
> and note the cpu config settings
> for a 2800Mhz 533MHz FSB , rated bus speed should be 133MHz (socket
> 478 Intel's are quad pumped) with multiplier of 21x
> my guess is the multiplier is set for 12x (=1600MHz)
> Yes, someone manually configured the BIOS setup for cpu config who
> possibly has dyslexia
> , so that being a BIOS config issue, just enter BIOS setup and
> manually configure the cpu multiplier to 21x
> no problems

You missed an earlier series of posts. The CPU is one of the oddball
Socket 478 mobile Pentium CPUs with both high and low speeds. The
laptop BIOS switches the CPU to high speed when running on A/C power,
and to low speed when on battery. A desktop motherboard does not have a
BIOS with the CPU switching and the CPU starts up at the low speed.

Further, a Dell BIOS no settings whatsoever to change CPU speeds... Ben
Myers