From: vbDavidC on
On Oct 26, 12:28 am, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> vbDavidC wrote:
> >> What is the sSpec of the CPU, imprinted on the top?  Could it be one of
> >> the Socket 478 CPUs done my Intel for the early desktop replacement type
> >> laptops, such as the Inspiron 5100/5150 and some Toshibas and HPs?
>
> >> Have you updated the BIOS to the latest from Intel?  I ran into
> >> something very similar when I put a 3.0GHz P4 with 1MB external cache
> >> into a Precision 370 and the BIOS showed 1.6Ghz speed.  Once I updated
> >> the BIOS, the system showed the correct speed both in BIOS and in
> >> Windows... Ben Myers
>
> > It is a desktop CPU and shows 2.8 on the chip.  I have the latest
> > BIOS.  I am tempted to see if I can try a previous version just to see
> > what happens.
>
> Just to verify that this is a desktop CPU, what is the the sSpec?  The
> sSpec is printed on the top of the CPU and looks something like SL4KX.
> Once you have the sSpec, just put it into Google to get the CPU
> specifications.
>
>   Socket 478 CPUs that look just like the desktop ones were cranked out
> for the desktop replacement.  if somehow you got one of those, that
> would explain why the CPU is running at 1.6Ghz.  I have several of
> these, pulled from dead laptops, and they behave EXACTLY this way when
> in a desktop board.  In a laptop motherboard, there is a circuit that
> runs from the AC adapter power supply electronics to one of the CPU
> pins, telling it to run at maximum speed when running with a power
> supply, or 1.6 when on battery... Ben

Guys, thanks for the info:

Ben, sorry for not understanding where you were going with your first
post. I did not realize that notebooks shared the same socket with
desktops.

I went to the following website and got the information. Y'all were
correct about it being a mobile CPU.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL77N

I thought I could possibly do something with Intel SpeedStep but I
guess it is not available as a download.

Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processors - M 2.80 GHz
sSpec Number: SL77N
CPU Speed: 2.80 GHz
PCG:
Bus Speed: 533 MHz
Bus/Core Ratio: 21
L2 Cache Size: 512 KB
L2 Cache Speed: 2.8 GHz
Package Type: 478 pin
Manufacturing Technology: 0.13 micron
Core Stepping: D1
CPUID String: 0F29
Thermal Design Power: 68.4W
Thermal Specification: 100 DEG C
VID Voltage Range: 1.3V

From: Ben Myers on
vbDavidC wrote:
> On Oct 26, 12:28 am, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
>> vbDavidC wrote:
>>> It is a desktop CPU and shows 2.8 on the chip. I have the latest
>>> BIOS. I am tempted to see if I can try a previous version just to see
>>> what happens.
>> Just to verify that this is a desktop CPU, what is the the sSpec? The
>> sSpec is printed on the top of the CPU and looks something like SL4KX.
>> Once you have the sSpec, just put it into Google to get the CPU
>> specifications.
>>
>> Socket 478 CPUs that look just like the desktop ones were cranked out
>> for the desktop replacement. if somehow you got one of those, that
>> would explain why the CPU is running at 1.6Ghz. I have several of
>> these, pulled from dead laptops, and they behave EXACTLY this way when
>> in a desktop board. In a laptop motherboard, there is a circuit that
>> runs from the AC adapter power supply electronics to one of the CPU
>> pins, telling it to run at maximum speed when running with a power
>> supply, or 1.6 when on battery... Ben
>
> Guys, thanks for the info:
>
> Ben, sorry for not understanding where you were going with your first
> post. I did not realize that notebooks shared the same socket with
> desktops.
>
> I went to the following website and got the information. Y'all were
> correct about it being a mobile CPU.
>
> http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL77N
>
> I thought I could possibly do something with Intel SpeedStep but I
> guess it is not available as a download.
>
> Mobile Intel� Pentium� 4 Processors - M 2.80 GHz
> sSpec Number: SL77N
> CPU Speed: 2.80 GHz
> PCG:
> Bus Speed: 533 MHz
> Bus/Core Ratio: 21
> L2 Cache Size: 512 KB
> L2 Cache Speed: 2.8 GHz
> Package Type: 478 pin
> Manufacturing Technology: 0.13 micron
> Core Stepping: D1
> CPUID String: 0F29
> Thermal Design Power: 68.4W
> Thermal Specification: 100 DEG C
> VID Voltage Range: 1.3V

Not a problem. The laptops with Socket 478 Pentium 4 and Celeron CPUs
looking exactly like the desktop ones did not last too long. Many of
them suffered from thermal problems, because they drew so much wattage,
as in the 68.4w CPU you have. Almost all of them showed up in the
desktop replacements, with the Dell Inspiron 1100/1150/5100/5150/5160
and Latitude 100L being perhaps the most popular.

You might download and try SpeedSwitch, then let us all know the results.

http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/

SpeedSwitch was designed to provide better control over laptop/notebook
CPU speeds, but you never know. It may work with desktops, too.

.... Ben Myers
From: vbDavidC on
On Oct 26, 6:10 pm, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> vbDavidC wrote:
> >> Just to verify that this is a desktop CPU, what is the the sSpec?  The
> >> sSpec is printed on the top of the CPU and looks something like SL4KX.
> >> Once you have the sSpec, just put it into Google to get the CPU
> >> specifications.
>
> >>   Socket 478 CPUs that look just like the desktop ones were cranked out
> >> for the desktop replacement.  if somehow you got one of those, that
> >> would explain why the CPU is running at 1.6Ghz.  I have several of
> >> these, pulled from dead laptops, and they behave EXACTLY this way when
> >> in a desktop board.  In a laptop motherboard, there is a circuit that
> >> runs from the AC adapter power supply electronics to one of the CPU
> >> pins, telling it to run at maximum speed when running with a power
> >> supply, or 1.6 when on battery... Ben
>
> > Guys, thanks for the info:
>
> > Ben, sorry for not understanding where you were going with your first
> > post.  I did not realize that notebooks shared the same socket with
> > desktops.
>
> > I went to the following website and got the information.  Y'all were
> > correct about it being a mobile CPU.
>
> >http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL77N
>
> > I thought I could possibly do something with Intel SpeedStep but I
> > guess it is not available as a download.
>
> > Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processors - M 2.80 GHz
> > sSpec Number: SL77N
> > CPU Speed: 2.80 GHz
> > PCG:
> > Bus Speed: 533 MHz
> > Bus/Core Ratio: 21
> > L2 Cache Size: 512 KB
> > L2 Cache Speed: 2.8 GHz
> > Package Type: 478 pin
> > Manufacturing Technology: 0.13 micron
> > Core Stepping: D1
> > CPUID String: 0F29
> > Thermal Design Power: 68.4W
> > Thermal Specification: 100 DEG C
> > VID Voltage Range: 1.3V
>
> Not a problem.  The laptops with Socket 478 Pentium 4 and Celeron CPUs
> looking exactly like the desktop ones did not last too long.  Many of
> them suffered from thermal problems, because they drew so much wattage,
> as in the 68.4w CPU you have.    Almost all of them showed up in the
> desktop replacements, with the Dell Inspiron 1100/1150/5100/5150/5160
> and Latitude 100L being perhaps the most popular.
>
> You might download and try SpeedSwitch, then let us all know the results.
>
> http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/
>
> SpeedSwitch was designed to provide better control over laptop/notebook
> CPU speeds, but you never know.  It may work with desktops, too.
>
> ... Ben Myers

Ended up buying a 2.4 desktop P4 off of Craigslist for $20. I
confirmed with seller based on the sSpec number.

It is all good.

Thanks for everyone's posts.

David
From: Ben Myers on
vbDavidC wrote:
> On Oct 26, 6:10 pm, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
>> vbDavidC wrote:
>>> Guys, thanks for the info:
>>> Ben, sorry for not understanding where you were going with your first
>>> post. I did not realize that notebooks shared the same socket with
>>> desktops.
>>> I went to the following website and got the information. Y'all were
>>> correct about it being a mobile CPU.
>>> http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL77N
>>> I thought I could possibly do something with Intel SpeedStep but I
>>> guess it is not available as a download.
>>> Mobile Intel� Pentium� 4 Processors - M 2.80 GHz
>>> sSpec Number: SL77N
>>> CPU Speed: 2.80 GHz
>>> PCG:
>>> Bus Speed: 533 MHz
>>> Bus/Core Ratio: 21
>>> L2 Cache Size: 512 KB
>>> L2 Cache Speed: 2.8 GHz
>>> Package Type: 478 pin
>>> Manufacturing Technology: 0.13 micron
>>> Core Stepping: D1
>>> CPUID String: 0F29
>>> Thermal Design Power: 68.4W
>>> Thermal Specification: 100 DEG C
>>> VID Voltage Range: 1.3V
>> Not a problem. The laptops with Socket 478 Pentium 4 and Celeron CPUs
>> looking exactly like the desktop ones did not last too long. Many of
>> them suffered from thermal problems, because they drew so much wattage,
>> as in the 68.4w CPU you have. Almost all of them showed up in the
>> desktop replacements, with the Dell Inspiron 1100/1150/5100/5150/5160
>> and Latitude 100L being perhaps the most popular.
>>
>> You might download and try SpeedSwitch, then let us all know the results.
>>
>> http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/
>>
>> SpeedSwitch was designed to provide better control over laptop/notebook
>> CPU speeds, but you never know. It may work with desktops, too.
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>
> Ended up buying a 2.4 desktop P4 off of Craigslist for $20. I
> confirmed with seller based on the sSpec number.
>
> It is all good.
>
> Thanks for everyone's posts.
>
> David

Did you ever try SpeedSwitch? ... Ben