From: Peter Whisker on
I recently took a narrowboat through the Fens (March to Ely).

What surprised me is that while I almost always had T-Mobile coverage
(including 3G+ in places), my daughter almost never had O2 coverage.

It may be that her phone (an iPhone) is particularly deaf, but I was very
very surprised! I had expected completely the opposite.

Peter
From: Woody on
"Peter Whisker" <pw1(a)adsl24.co.uk> wrote in message
>I recently took a narrowboat through the Fens (March to Ely).
>
> What surprised me is that while I almost always had T-Mobile
> coverage
> (including 3G+ in places), my daughter almost never had O2
> coverage.
>
> It may be that her phone (an iPhone) is particularly deaf, but
> I was very
> very surprised! I had expected completely the opposite.
>
> Peter

From what I have seen the coverage of O2 in rural areas is in
line with the wealth of that area. In North Yorkshire it is good,
but in Northumberland for instance and as you have found in the
Fens, it is often non-existent.

IME generally Orange is as good as most in rural areas, although
it does have major Orange-free zones - like most of Yorkshire!

Mind you the iPhone is notoriously deaf - I see with the iPhone4
they are giving away a free Blackberry so that the owner can make
calls! ;-))

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

From: R. Mark Clayton on

"Peter Whisker" <pw1(a)adsl24.co.uk> wrote in message
>I recently took a narrowboat through the Fens (March to Ely).
>
> What surprised me is that while I almost always had T-Mobile coverage
> (including 3G+ in places), my daughter almost never had O2 coverage.
>
> It may be that her phone (an iPhone) is particularly deaf, but I was very
> very surprised! I had expected completely the opposite.
>
> Peter

IIRC O2 macro cells are around the coast, which meant one used to get
coverage miles out to sea...

Was the iPhone configured only to use UMTS? In which case it would only
work in places with 3G coverage (mostly cities). In my Nokia one can
configure the phone to choose which signals and bands to use. GSM 900 is
usually best in rural areas.