From: Dustin Cook on
ASCII <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in news:4b268829.842796(a)EBCDIC:

> Dustin Cook wrote:
>>
>>> To your knowledge, is MBAM on such lists?
>>
>>Some malware will kill us dead in our tracks, yes.
>
> like a mutex for whatever your executable depends?

Yep. Some block by filename, and others actually look for our presence in
memory and show us the door. *shrug*

--
Dustin Cook [Malware Researcher]
MalwareBytes - http://www.malwarebytes.org
From: Dustin Cook on
Toxic <staring(a)my_hd.tv> wrote in news:pan.2009.12.14.00.57.29(a)cdc.gov:

> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 19:35:14 +0000, Dustin Cook wrote:
>

>> Some malware will kill us dead in our tracks, yes.
>
> Do you think the often repeated endorsements in this forum of MBAM
> place it in the category of squeaky wheel, thereby increasing the
> likelihood of it being targeted for crippling attacks?

I don't think this forum (usenet) has much if anything to do with it. When
you have a good product, in high use, it will be targetted; that's just the
way it is.

From: Dustin Cook on
"FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in news:hg45k7$qq4$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> "Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Virus Guy <Virus(a)Guy.com> wrote in news:4B1A99E8.4680C0D4(a)Guy.com:

>>> I fully undertand that - although your "all" proviso leaves no doubt
>>> about it, and so far nobody else has suggested that there is even one
>>> scanner that can do what I'm asking about.
>>>
>>> But your statement does not answer the question:

>>> Hence my question as to whether or not the "next frontier" of AM
>>> (anti-malware) software would be to have the ability to scan and
>> correct
>>> the registry present on a slaved drive.

>>> Would it not be possible to run a system in safe mode and therefor
>>> not
>>> experience the BSOD in your example?

>>> In my case, it seems that the malware in question was preventing me
>> from
>>> (re)installing and running NAV (and even the task manager) but not
>>> MBAM. We know that it's fairly common for malware to have an
>>> in-built
>>> list of file names and processes to interfere with and prevent proper
>>> operation.
>>>
>>> To your knowledge, is MBAM on such lists?
>>
>> Some malware will kill us dead in our tracks, yes.
>
> Maybe in the future, antimalware will have to go polymorphic to hide
> from the malware - not much different on this side of the fence after
> all, eh? :o)

No, it seems the grass just looked taller.. :)