From: Lay on
On Jun 30, 6:50 am, Salad <sa...(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote:
> David W. Fenton wrote:
> > Salad <sa...(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote in

> >>What side of the bed did David wake up on?  The wrong side, it
> >>seems.
>
> >>Why the anger?
>
> > I am not angry. It felt to me like I was being asked to spoonfeed
> > the answer, and that annoys me.
>
> > I also think that anybody who uses MDEs but can't explain what they
> > are for is someone is not at what I'd call a competent level.
>
> I might have said..create a new mdb.  Add a couple of tables with a
> couple of records.  Create a form with a wizard.  Now convert to an mde.
>   Open the MDE.  Can you modify the form?  Can you modify the query?
> Are you worried now?
>
> Or one doesn't need to answer the question in the first place.   It
> isn't personal.  The answer could have be more welcoming or not answered
> at all.  I haven't seen any other posts from Lay so the "keep blithely
> asking people" line made me wonder what crossed your wires.  Advice like
> "Try reading the help file." isn't very helpful.  A pointer to a topic
> in the helpfile might be more useful.
>
> To me, an annoying question like me would be "Help, I keep getting a
> 2617 error.  How do I fix it?"  As if we've all memorized the error
> numbers that can be produced in Access.
>
> But this is just my opinion.

Hi Salad and others,

Thank you for your replies. I admit I did not really do my homework
first before asking the question. Anyway, I am paying no one to answer
my questions on this free forum. Yet, most of the time, helpful people
will come forward to answer them. I thank you all. Most technical
forums are full of helpful people (engineers, scientists) who help for
free and this leads to abuse occasionally by people too lazy to do
their homework. I plead guilty as charged.

It is acceptable if impolite replies are made to stupid or lazy
questions like the one I just asked. What is less acceptable is to
make impolite replies but still not answer the question. I think
ignoring the question would be better manners.
From: David W. Fenton on
Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote in

> David W. Fenton wrote:
>
>> Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote in

>>>What side of the bed did David wake up on? The wrong side, it
>>>seems.
>>>
>>>Why the anger?
>>
>> I am not angry. It felt to me like I was being asked to spoonfeed
>> the answer, and that annoys me.
>>
>> I also think that anybody who uses MDEs but can't explain what
>> they are for is someone is not at what I'd call a competent
>> level.
>
> I might have said..create a new mdb. Add a couple of tables with
> a couple of records. Create a form with a wizard. Now convert to
> an mde.
> Open the MDE. Can you modify the form? Can you modify the
> query?
> Are you worried now?

I'm happy to explain when a good question is asked that reflects
sincere interest in trying to figure out the problem. I see no
evidence of that here.

> Or one doesn't need to answer the question in the first place.
> It isn't personal. The answer could have be more welcoming or not
> answered at all. I haven't seen any other posts from Lay so the
> "keep blithely asking people" line made me wonder what crossed
> your wires.

Read what's quoted above.

He asked the question, I suggested he read up on it enhance his
understanding. He then asked for me to explain it to him. He didn't
say "I read the help file and didn't understand it" -- he just asked
for it to be explained to him.

This is what tripped me off.

> Advice like
> "Try reading the help file." isn't very helpful. A pointer to a
> topic in the helpfile might be more useful.

Uh, a topic that gets you the answer is MDE, for instance. If he's
not smart enough to figure that out, he's not smart enough to be
using an MDE.

> To me, an annoying question like me would be "Help, I keep getting
> a 2617 error. How do I fix it?" As if we've all memorized the
> error numbers that can be produced in Access.

But it's so easy to type ?AccessError(2617) in the immediate window
and get the answer, that one doesn't bother me as much (though, of
course, I think it's better strategy to include the error message in
your question since many people won't bother to do the little it
takes to look it up).

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on
Lay <lightaiyee(a)gmail.com> wrote in
m:

> It is acceptable if impolite replies are made to stupid or lazy
> questions like the one I just asked. What is less acceptable is to
> make impolite replies but still not answer the question. I think
> ignoring the question would be better manners.

You admit you asked a lazy question. When it was suggested you read
up on the subject and return after having done so, you basically
conveyed that you were too lazy to do so, and wanted the answer
spoonfed to you.

This seems to me like a not very well-planned tactic for getting
useful answers.

If you'd read the help file, your original question should have been
answered. If it raised further questions, then obviously you could
post back with those questions.

I just can't see how my urging you to do your own homework and
refusing to do it for you is somehow rude on *my* part.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Lay on
On Jul 1, 8:54 am, "David W. Fenton" <XXXuse...(a)dfenton.com.invalid>
wrote:
> Salad <sa...(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote innews:vJWdncAj9tZd5bfRnZ2dnUVZ_uKdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com:
>

> > David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> >> Salad <sa...(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote in

> >> I am not angry. It felt to me like I was being asked to spoonfeed
> >> the answer, and that annoys me.
>
> >> I also think that anybody who uses MDEs but can't explain what
> >> they are for is someone is not at what I'd call a competent
> >> level.
>
> > I might have said..create a new mdb.  Add a couple of tables with
> > a couple of records.  Create a form with a wizard.  Now convert to
> > an mde.
> >   Open the MDE.  Can you modify the form?  Can you modify the
> >   query?
> > Are you worried now?
>
> I'm happy to explain when a good question is asked that reflects
> sincere interest in trying to figure out the problem. I see no
> evidence of that here.
>
> > Or one doesn't need to answer the question in the first place.
> > It isn't personal.  The answer could have be more welcoming or not
> > answered at all.  I haven't seen any other posts from Lay so the
> > "keep blithely asking people" line made me wonder what crossed
> > your wires.
>
> Read what's quoted above.
>
> He asked the question, I suggested he read up on it enhance his
> understanding. He then asked for me to explain it to him. He didn't
> say "I read the help file and didn't understand it" -- he just asked
> for it to be explained to him.

Hi Mr Fenton,
I never asked you to explain it to me. I just replied with something
like "thank you and pardon my ignorance" which I reproduced below
again.

"Thank you for all your replies. Pardon my ignorance. I thought once
compiled, the file cannot be changed anymore and read-only. Now, I
know that is wrong. Thank you. "

That said, my very first post was a lazy one. I thank you for making
the effort to reply to that as well. I apologise.

Your tone was somewhat justified in a free forum full of helpful
people as there will be people who abuse the helpfulness and ask lazy
questions.

However, as an engineer focused on solving problems, I have learnt
over the years that the tone of discussion should be kept impersonal
and polite so that the team can focus on the problem. When the
atmosphere gets personal with clashing egos, the focus becomes
unproductive like what has happened here. Sorry my very first lazy
question triggered off the personal unproductive atmosphere.

From: David W. Fenton on
:

> Sorry my very first lazy
> question triggered off the personal unproductive atmosphere.

Your fault, not mine. Do your homework before you post and you'll
get much higher quality answers.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/