From: Alan on

"Brian A" <no_spam_bca1000(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:10:54 +0100, Mark wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 15:37:38 +0100, "James Seaton"
>> <no-spam_thanks(a)no-spam.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Want to use GPRS on a spare phone, but trying to find a PAYG provider
>>>that is reasonably priced. Are there any?
>>>
>>>It will only be for occasional use to check email and log into MSN. I
>>>would stick a 3 sim in, but it wont support their 3G network :(
>>>
>>>Any thoughts?
>>>Thanks
>>
>> ASDA wont' break the bank at 20p/ MB for data
> I think that is robbery. Do you realise that is �200/GB

Yes it is, but ASDA is pro-rata, quick dip in to check headers, then decide
what you do want to download, where and when.
Virgin could cost �9 a month just checking IMAP headers.

FWIW
With ASDA, all you do is add a �5 Topup, then the worst case scenario is
that it would burn out �5 and simply stop working.

You could try to get one of the original "1Gb Topup and Go" Mobile broadband
packages which did not expire after 30 days.
Just be aware that the newer 3Gb ones do.

Alan

From: Alan on

"Peter" <occassionally-confused(a)nospam.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Alan" <alan.semple(a)gmail.com> wrote
>

>>"Brian A" <no_spam_bca1000(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I think that is robbery. Do you realise that is �200/GB
>>>

>>Yes it is, but ASDA is pro-rata, quick dip in to check headers, then
>>decide
>>what you do want to download, where and when.
>>Virgin could cost �9 a month just checking IMAP headers.
>>
>>FWIW
>>With ASDA, all you do is add a �5 Topup, then the worst case scenario is
>>that it would burn out �5 and simply stop working.
>>
>>You could try to get one of the original "1Gb Topup and Go" Mobile
>>broadband
>>packages which did not expire after 30 days.
>>Just be aware that the newer 3Gb ones do.
>>
>>Alan
>>
> What some people are gradually learning is that mobile data falls into
> two categories:
>
> 1) dirt cheap
>
> 2) extremely pricey
>
> and there is very little overlap.
>
> And most people don't know how much data they are using.
>
> The telcos must love this.

They clearly do

I paid for a "50p daily addon" (120Mb FUP) before I downloaded a 60Mbyte
podcast.
This would have used up my 45Mb allowance and any additional data would be
charged at 30p per Mb.
The My3 page clearly showed 45Mb and the "50p Daily addon", so I assumed I
was good to go.

55 Minutes later I get a Text, my allowance is low, I must topup, (the
"daily addon" has gone).
My E51 Data counter showed a total of 90 Mbytes used "up and down".

A 20 minute "discussion" with 3 CS (free call) eventually resulted in two
50p credits.
A few days later the My3 "Balance and free stuff" page now lists how
existing credit is used "and" in what order.

I wanted to pay for the little bump in the road and keep the original 45Mb
for emails etc until it expired.
It's a pity Three can't be flexible about it, but now it's clearer how it's
biased in their favour.

Alan