From: James Seaton on
Want to use GPRS on a spare phone, but trying to find a PAYG provider that
is reasonably priced. Are there any?

It will only be for occasional use to check email and log into MSN. I would
stick a 3 sim in, but it wont support their 3G network :(

Any thoughts?
Thanks

From: James Seaton on

"Mark" <markincambs(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:10:54 +0100, Mark <markincambs(a)yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 15:37:38 +0100, "James Seaton"
> ><no-spam_thanks(a)no-spam.net> wrote:
> >
> >>Want to use GPRS on a spare phone, but trying to find a PAYG provider
that
> >>is reasonably priced. Are there any?
> >>
> >>It will only be for occasional use to check email and log into MSN. I
would
> >>stick a 3 sim in, but it wont support their 3G network :(
> >>
> >>Any thoughts?
> >>Thanks
> >
> >ASDA wont' break the bank at 20p/ MB for data
>
> ...also should have added that Virgin at 30p flat rate per day for up
> to 25MB (IIRC) is reasonable, for higher levels of occasional usage.

Thanks a lot Mark, I suppose the Asda deal is the best deal for low
useage...
Does anyone know an even better deal? Doubt it, but just interested..

From: Brian A on
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:10:54 +0100, Mark wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 15:37:38 +0100, "James Seaton"
> <no-spam_thanks(a)no-spam.net> wrote:
>
>>Want to use GPRS on a spare phone, but trying to find a PAYG provider
>>that is reasonably priced. Are there any?
>>
>>It will only be for occasional use to check email and log into MSN. I
>>would stick a 3 sim in, but it wont support their 3G network :(
>>
>>Any thoughts?
>>Thanks
>
> ASDA wont' break the bank at 20p/ MB for data
I think that is robbery. Do you realise that is £200/GB

From: Theo Markettos on
James Seaton <no-spam_thanks(a)no-spam.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:10:54 +0100, Mark <markincambs(a)yahoo.co.uk>
> > wrote:
> > >ASDA wont' break the bank at 20p/ MB for data
> >
> > ...also should have added that Virgin at 30p flat rate per day for up
> > to 25MB (IIRC) is reasonable, for higher levels of occasional usage.
>
> Thanks a lot Mark, I suppose the Asda deal is the best deal for low
> useage...
> Does anyone know an even better deal? Doubt it, but just interested..

giffgaff is like the Asda rate, but daily capped for higher volumes:

0-2.5MB: 20p/MB
2.5-30MB: free
30MB+: 20p/MB

That means low users pay 20p/MB, but there's a cap at 50p where you don't
pay any more. But if you use more than 30MB then any additional data starts
getting charged at 20p/MB again.

Compared with Virgin it's more expensive if you use more than 1.5MB/day on a
regular basis, but on Virgin the first byte will cost you 30p so giffgaff is
cheaper for lower users who might occasional high use.

That's the standard pricing plan, but for the moment data is free until 1st
October.

Theo
From: Steve Terry on
"Theo Markettos" <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
> James Seaton <no-spam_thanks(a)no-spam.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > ...also should have added that Virgin at 30p flat rate per day for up
>> > to 25MB (IIRC) is reasonable, for higher levels of occasional usage.
>>
>> Thanks a lot Mark, I suppose the Asda deal is the best deal for low
>> useage...
>> Does anyone know an even better deal? Doubt it, but just interested..
>
> giffgaff is like the Asda rate, but daily capped for higher volumes:
>
> 0-2.5MB: 20p/MB
> 2.5-30MB: free
> 30MB+: 20p/MB
>
> That means low users pay 20p/MB, but there's a cap at 50p where you don't
> pay any more. But if you use more than 30MB then any additional data
> starts
> getting charged at 20p/MB again.
>
> Compared with Virgin it's more expensive if you use more than 1.5MB/day on
> regular basis, but on Virgin the first byte will cost you 30p so giffgaff
> is
> cheaper for lower users who might occasional high use.
>
> That's the standard pricing plan, but for the moment data is free until
> 1st
> October.
> Theo

and then you can add a �5 goody bag bolt on which gives you a months
unlimited (fair use) data, and text.

Steve Terry
--
"I would like to plead for my right to investigate natural phenomena
without having guns pointed at me.