From: Hypatia on
I have a project that has various layers so that every time I need a
new picture, I just blank out the layers I don't need, copy and modify
the ones I do, and then I have a new layer that can be saved to the
final graphic format of choice.

While it's easy to duplicate raster layers and modify them, I haven't
been able to figure out how to duplicate just a "sub-layer" in both
vector text layers. If I could do that, then I'd be able to
double-click on the text I needed to modify. What is neat about that
is that all formatting is preserved when you do things that way so
that I don't have to re-create everything (which you forget the
details of after a while).

Is there a way to do this? I've copied PSP files and then modified
them in their entirety which is how I know that this is easiest way
for me to modify elements. The trouble is that this file has many
layers, yes, but I created them all that the same time when I had all
the settings a certain way. I've tried to just create new text but
it's taking the font settings I used yesterday and I can't remember
which font I used originally, etc.

Thank you.

From: Whoever on
Hypatia <NoJunk(a)JunkNone.com> wrote in

> While it's easy to duplicate raster layers and modify them, I haven't
> been able to figure out how to duplicate just a "sub-layer" in both
> vector text layers. If I could do that, then I'd be able to

If I understand your question correctly, just duplicate the entire vector
layer (which will include all of its "sub-layers"), go into the layer
palette and open up the duplicated vector layer so you can get at those
"sub-layers", left click on an unwanted "sub-layer" and tap the Del key
(which should get rid of that "sub-layer"), and repeat the procedure until
you are left with a single vector layer with just the "sub-layer(s)" that
you want.

--
Don't bother trying to
contact me via email.
From: Hypatia on
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 13:27:26 GMT, Whoever <whoever(a)wherever.invalid>
wrote:

>Hypatia <NoJunk(a)JunkNone.com> wrote in
>>
>> While it's easy to duplicate raster layers and modify them, I haven't
>> been able to figure out how to duplicate just a "sub-layer" in both
>> vector text layers. If I could do that, then I'd be able to
>

> If I understand your question correctly, just duplicate the entire vector
>layer (which will include all of its "sub-layers"), go into the layer
>palette and open up the duplicated vector layer so you can get at those
>"sub-layers", left click on an unwanted "sub-layer" and tap the Del key
>(which should get rid of that "sub-layer"), and repeat the procedure until
>you are left with a single vector layer with just the "sub-layer(s)" that
>you want.

Hi, thanks! I didn't quite explain well enough but I still managed to
do what I needed adapting your technique. Hard to anticipate the
issues when you're first doing something new sometimes <g>.

I have 2 vector layers to begin with. Each had about 6-8 individual
text strings as "sub-layers" that I "blank out" as needed - in other
words, just keeping the ones visible that I need in any given moment.
I wanted to keep adding text to each of the 2 main vector text
sections without adding any new "parent" vector layers for each
additional text string.

So I duplicated the vector layer as you suggested then deleted all the
unwanted "sub-layers". All I had to do then was to slide that out of
the duplicate's layer palette and into the target one. It just slid
into it without creating a whole new vector layer.

That seems to have done the job, thanks! I'm able to use the
duplicate layer, which retains its original formatting, to create new
text after I've left the original project months ago so no-fuss and
no-bother in trying to re-create the font and such. This seems to be
working perfectly.

Cheers. :)