From: Noob on
Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:

> I'm so glad that I'm out of Intel. I was starving, intellectually,
> technically. Even just being able to post to comp.arch is liberating.

Are Intel employees forbidden to post to Usenet?

Even when they speak for themselves?

Is Intel afraid they might leak trade secrets?
Or, worse, clarify a patent claim? ;-)

Regards.
From: "Andy "Krazy" Glew" on
Noob wrote:
> Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:
>
>> I'm so glad that I'm out of Intel. I was starving, intellectually,
>> technically. Even just being able to post to comp.arch is liberating.
>
> Are Intel employees forbidden to post to Usenet?
>
> Even when they speak for themselves?
>
> Is Intel afraid they might leak trade secrets?
> Or, worse, clarify a patent claim? ;-)
>
> Regards.

Perhaps not forbidden. Very strongly discouraged. VERY strongly
discouraged.
From: Mayan Moudgill on
Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:
> Noob wrote:
>
>> Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:
>>
>>> I'm so glad that I'm out of Intel. I was starving, intellectually,
>>> technically. Even just being able to post to comp.arch is liberating.
>>

>> Are Intel employees forbidden to post to Usenet?
>>
>> Even when they speak for themselves?
>>
>> Is Intel afraid they might leak trade secrets?
>> Or, worse, clarify a patent claim? ;-)
>>
>> Regards.
>

> Perhaps not forbidden. Very strongly discouraged. VERY strongly
> discouraged.

Also, Andy was not in Intel R&D; it might be different there. At IBM,
T.J. Watson was quite different from the product organizations; there
used to be a lot more people on Usenet from there.
From: Eugene Miya on
In article <4AFA4CB7.8070702(a)patten-glew.net>,
Andy \"Krazy\" Glew <ag-news(a)patten-glew.net> wrote:
>Brett Davis wrote:
>> How does SC09 compare against WORLDCOMP? And/or to ICPP 2009? And/or
>> anyone else?
>
>I've never been to SuperComputing. Nor WORLDCOMP. In fact, I had never
>heard of this conference until your post. Ah, it's the big federated
>conference - perhaps I have attended, in one of the few years that ISCA
> was prt of it. I know ICPP, but have never attended.

San Diego next year. I plan to try to get there.

>My "usual" conference circuit is ISCA, HPCA, MICRO, ASPLOS. If I'm
>lucky, Hot Chips or Microprocessor Forum. "Usual" is not, really. Intel
>used to only approve two events a year, and often not even that if you
>were not part of the in crowd.
>
>I'm only signed up for SC'09 because it's in Portland. I was in the
>habit, when I was at Intel, of paying my way to nearby conferences, in
>Portland or Seattle, in the hopes that Intel would pay for a conference
>far away. Didn't always work.

I sat on the 1st 2 SC's in 1988 and 1989 (Orlando and Reno), later I was
given a room, because I was the only person capable of driving the
founding Chair (George), and I suggested "Why not get him an electric
wheel chair?" which occurred to no one on the Committee. He got too
heavy to easily fly.

SC' has evolved into the ACM's and IEEE CS's National Conference and COMPCON.
I was on local arrangements for one of the last ACM Natl. conference in
San Francisco in 1984. It's now a multi ring circus with the experience
of various ACM SIGs, Usenix (where do you think the networking came
from?), and small invitation only conferences like the Natl Labs/DOE
Salishan, and others. There's a technical papers track, demos, panels,
an exhibit floor. It's got a number of standing committees and for the
ACM it has a "diversity" component (education and women and minorities).

There's a balance all this advanced stuff as well as history and the past.
It will by sheer size not have the intimacy of invitation only
conferences. The first you actually had the chance to talk with Cray (a
few people). He's gone, but others exist.

The size draws some flak, but the people do what they can. It's not
as big as am ACM/SIGGRAPH or a CES (really big). The people really in
the know tend to get drawn off to the side with private little talks.
These are not consumer items. Emphasis is tried for younger students:
grad, undergrad, and even as far down as HS. Specialized meetings like
say ISCA lack the breath and have stronger papers. Beside history,
sometimes they they to throw some art in. The idea is to mix developers
of systems and users together.

Proceedings now come on a USB key.

From: Eugene Miya on
In article <4AFDE679.3050101(a)patten-glew.net>,
Andy \"Krazy\" Glew <ag-news(a)patten-glew.net> wrote:
>Noob wrote:
>> Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:
>>> I'm so glad that I'm out of Intel. I was starving, intellectually,
>>> technically. Even just being able to post to comp.arch is liberating.
>>
>> Are Intel employees forbidden to post to Usenet?
>>
>> Even when they speak for themselves?
>>
>> Is Intel afraid they might leak trade secrets?
>> Or, worse, clarify a patent claim? ;-)
>
>Perhaps not forbidden. Very strongly discouraged. VERY strongly
>discouraged.

You ain't seen nothing.
Pixar is quite tight lipped.

Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion
groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble!
-- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dbabble.htm ----