From: Del Cecchi on

"Anne & Lynn Wheeler" <lynn(a)garlic.com> wrote in message

> re:
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#84 Anyone going to
> Supercomputers '09 in Portland?
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#85 Anyone going to
> Supercomputers '09 in Portland?
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009q.html#0 Anyone going to
> Supercomputers '09 in Portland?
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009q.html#1 Anyone going to
> Supercomputers '09 in Portland?
>
> from long ago and far away
>
> Date: WED, 02/11/87 10:43:26 PST
> From: wheeler
>
> re: fiber driver; Somebody in Rochester took some compact disk laser
> drivers and adopted them for fiber. Austin plans are to use them
> for
> electrical isolation interface between backplane and external bus.
> Claims are that the drivers will handle 300mbits ... and they will
> essential be compact disk prices ... i.e. @$5-$8 ... instead of a
> couple hundred that IBM east coast is talking about.
>
> ... snip ...
>
> --
> 40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since
> Mar1970

That was the guys down the hall, some of whom eventually got sold off
to JDSU.

From: Eugene Miya on
So what did you think?

A) Conference?

B) Geek dinner?

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ----------------------
For a quality mail server, try SurgeMail, easy to install,
fast, efficient and reliable. Run a million users on a standard
PC running NT or Unix without running out of power, use the best!
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgemail.htm ----
From: "Andy "Krazy" Glew" on
Eugene Miya wrote:
> So what did you think?
>
> A) Conference?
>
> B) Geek dinner?

The geek dinner was fun. Any time I get to see Jewri Ellsworth, Ward
Christenson, you (Eugene), and all the others is great. I hope that we
can do it again, although given my travel schedule that may be hard.

The Supercomputing Conference was also fun. Bigger than the computer
architecture conferences I usually go to. Odd in some ways - an exhibit
floor, where most of the exhibitors are schools or national labs? The
supercomputing guys certainly know how to throw a party. Our tax
dollars at work? I hope to make a few SC09 inspired comp.arch posts,
as time permits - probablt over Thanksgiving.
From: Eugene Miya on
>> A) Conference?
>>
>> B) Geek dinner?

In article <4B070A12.4010802(a)patten-glew.net>,
Andy \"Krazy\" Glew <ag-news(a)patten-glew.net> wrote:
>The geek dinner was fun. Any time I get to see Jewri Ellsworth, Ward
>Christenson, you (Eugene), and all the others is great. I hope that we
>can do it again, although given my travel schedule that may be hard.

I note the amusing name typos. I need to forward a note of thanks to
the initial attendees and encourage other local friends.

I took 3 naps to drive home.

>The Supercomputing Conference was also fun. Bigger than the computer
>architecture conferences I usually go to. Odd in some ways - an exhibit
>floor, where most of the exhibitors are schools or national labs? The
>supercomputing guys certainly know how to throw a party. Our tax
>dollars at work? I hope to make a few SC09 inspired comp.arch posts,
>as time permits - probably over Thanksgiving.

The issue of tax dollars is a sensitive one. It is commonly dealt with
by indirection, contractors, and subcontractors, Beltway bandits, and
other third parties. The bomb designers pride their wine knowledge
(which goes back to the Europe immigrants less US prudism). As Bamford
notes, in contrast the code breakers drink Coke(tm). Originally, the
vendor exhibit were separated from the Labs and school client side
exhibits. Space became a premium. Again: long term thinking who gets
the best students and visible presence for some political points.
Everyone attempts to tread a fine line. Any party throwing is done by
contracted party throwers. You think that's amusing? It came out in
CDC history that LLL's computer center had a short stature physicist run
their center. CDC endeavored always to have a sales head shorter than Sid.
Always.

I am taller than Sid, and I am short.

The conference is now SC'xy and no longer Supercomputing'xy.

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on

"Andy \"Krazy\" Glew" <ag-news(a)patten-glew.net> writes:
> Are any comp.arch folk going to SC09 in Portland?
>
> I am obviously going to be there on Sunday, the workshop day - assuming that my wife agrees.
>
> I am currently wondering about spending any other days there.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#84 Anyone going to Supercomputers '09 in Portland?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#85 Anyone going to Supercomputers '09 in Portland?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009q.html#0 Anyone going to Supercomputers '09 in Portland?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009q.html#1 Anyone going to Supercomputers '09 in Portland?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009q.html#2 Anyone going to Supercomputers '09 in Portland?

I'm using coaster from a booth at some long ago supercomputer '93; also
held in Portland. Its from an institution that had only relatively
recently come out of the closet. There were people that wouldn't walk
down that isle ... being conflicted ... apparently leftover from when
the institution was still in the closet.

Kahaner was also in attendance ... back in the days ... when his reports
were freely available ... from long ago and far away ...

Dr. David K. Kahaner
US Office of Naval Research Asia
(From outside US): 23-17, 7-chome, Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106 Japan
(From within US): Unit 45002, APO AP 96337-0007
Tel: +81 3 3401-8924, Fax: +81 3 3403-9670
Email: kahaner(a)cs.titech.ac.jp
Re: Supercomuting 1993
11/13/93 (MM/DD/YY)
This file is named "sc.93"

ABSTRACT. Supercomputing'93 in Portland OR, 11/93

I will be at Supercomputing 1993 in Portland OR, 15-19 Nov 1993. Prof
A. Malony and I invite you to join us at our mini Symposium,
"Supercomputing Around the World" which is being held as part of SC'93
on Friday 19 Nov at 8:30AM in Room 204. We are expecting five very
interesting overview talks.

.... snip ...

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970