From: David Ching on
"David Webber" <dave(a)musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk> wrote in message
> It will take a while, but I haven't created a new solution in ages, and I
> have now discovered I can have tabbed MDI, and tool bars to which the user
> can add buttons. And selectable themes. Not to mention a navigation
> pane. So users will get a radically new looking program out of all this
> work I'm doing - even if it doesn't yet include any new real
> functionality. I'll try to stop knocking the Windows fashion industry :-)
> :-)

Ha ha, you might even start liking the fashion in this century. ;)
Seriously, someone needs to step back and make it easier to upgrade these
years old projects to the latest defaults. IOW, the IDE project conversion
wizard needs to have a checkbox

[ ] Update UI controls to latest version
[ ] Use new themes
[ ] Replace toolbars with ribbon
[ ] Derive dialogs from CDialogEx

The only alternative is what you're doing - using the AppWizard to get a new
shell and copy/pasting stuff from the old project into the new one. And
finding each little "improvement" and doing search/replace on it (like
converting CDialog to CDialogEx).

Anyway, even if it is tedious, it is one way of upgrading your users fairly
easily. Good luck with it!

-- David

From: David Webber on

"David Ching" <dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message
> "David Webber" <dave(a)musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk> wrote in message
>> It will take a while, but I haven't created a new solution in ages, and I
>> have now discovered I can have tabbed MDI, and tool bars to which the
>> user can add buttons. And selectable themes. Not to mention a
>> navigation pane. So users will get a radically new looking program out of
>> all this work I'm doing - even if it doesn't yet include any new real
>> functionality. I'll try to stop knocking the Windows fashion industry
>> :-) :-)
>>

> Ha ha, you might even start liking the fashion in this century. ;)

You never know :-)

> Seriously, someone needs to step back and make it easier to upgrade these
> years old projects to the latest defaults. IOW, the IDE project
> conversion wizard needs to have a checkbox
>
> [ ] Update UI controls to latest version
> [ ] Use new themes
> [ ] Replace toolbars with ribbon
> [ ] Derive dialogs from CDialogEx

I suspect that would be difficult and fraught with problems.

One thing I haven't adopted is the ribbon bar. The only comments on ribbon
bars on my Yahoo chat group when I've suggested it is....
... well I can't repeat the comments here. So like Sherlock Homes's Giant
Tat of Sumatra, the ribbon bar is a story for which the world is not yet
ready :-(

> The only alternative is what you're doing - using the AppWizard to get a
> new shell and copy/pasting stuff from the old project into the new one.
> And finding each little "improvement" and doing search/replace on it (like
> converting CDialog to CDialogEx).

I think I have done most of those over the last few years. I have my own
CDialogEx derived class which does tool tips on buttons.

> Anyway, even if it is tedious, it is one way of upgrading your users
> fairly easily. Good luck with it!

It's proceeding nicely thanks. Got some MFC DLLs imported wholesale (simple
ones with not too much MFC). The really complicated MFC DLL, I've recreated
as a new project and I'm gradually importing old classes, changing the
CWinApp derived class to a CWinAppEx derived class and so on. Doing
regular tests on two other machines without Visual Studio 2010 as I go
along: one Vista one XP.

Just realised I'll be able to throw away some code: don't need to tile,
cascade or minimise view windows any more! My Window menu is going to look
very bare:-)

Dave

--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software

From: David Webber on

> Giant Tat of Sumatra,

That was Giant Rat - I really must learn to type.

Dave