From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-06-28 10:54:56 +0100, John B said:

> I was considering buying one of these,
>
> http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB869B/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY
>
> However, if you look at the reviews it seems that there are problems
> with the key mapping and there is no # key.

Not true, it uses a perfectly standard Apple keyboard layout. # is (as
ever on Apple UK keyboards) option-3. The other keys are in their
normal places.

Now it *is* true that it doesn't use a PC-style keyboard layout.

If you want a PC-style keyboard layout you will need to buy a PC-style
keyboard instead, eg a Logitech one.

> Does this one exhibit the same problems?
>
> http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB110B/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

It'll have roughly the same layout, except it will also have a numeric keypad.
--
Chris

From: SimonB on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> On 2010-06-28 10:54:56 +0100, John B said:
>
> > I was considering buying one of these,
> >
> > http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB869B/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY
> >
> > However, if you look at the reviews it seems that there are problems
> > with the key mapping and there is no # key.
>
> Not true, it uses a perfectly standard Apple keyboard layout. # is (as
> ever on Apple UK keyboards) option-3. The other keys are in their
> normal places.
>
> Now it *is* true that it doesn't use a PC-style keyboard layout.
>
> If you want a PC-style keyboard layout you will need to buy a PC-style
> keyboard instead, eg a Logitech one.

As Chris suggests, it behaves perfectly normally as an Apple peripheral.
I've used one for the last year and especially like its compactness --
in use it's closer to the mouse and when not it's easy to stow.
--
Simon
From: Jon on
On 28/06/2010 11:10am, Chris Ridd wrote:
> On 2010-06-28 10:54:56 +0100, John B said:
>
>> I was considering buying one of these,
>>
>> http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB869B/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY
>>
>> However, if you look at the reviews it seems that there are problems
>> with the key mapping and there is no # key.
>
> Not true, it uses a perfectly standard Apple keyboard layout. # is (as
> ever on Apple UK keyboards) option-3. The other keys are in their normal
> places.

I think it's time Apple started putting the '#' next to the '�' on the
'3' key, just like the '�' is next to the '@' on the '2" key.

Like this

! @� �# $ % ^ & * ( ) _ +
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - =

Strangely the '#' was missing completely on the early UK Apple II's.

From: Mark Bestley on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> On 2010-06-28 10:54:56 +0100, John B said:
>
> > I was considering buying one of these,
> >
> > http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB869B/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY
> >
> > However, if you look at the reviews it seems that there are problems
> > with the key mapping and there is no # key.
>
> Not true, it uses a perfectly standard Apple keyboard layout. # is (as
> ever on Apple UK keyboards) option-3. The other keys are in their
> normal places.

And a way of getting # as shift-3 and � as alt 3 is to choose Australian
as the input source name

--
Mark
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-06-28 13:32:30 +0100, Mark Bestley said:

> Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-06-28 10:54:56 +0100, John B said:
>>
>>> I was considering buying one of these,
>>>
>>> http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB869B/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY
>>>
>>> However, if you look at the reviews it seems that there are problems
>>> with the key mapping and there is no # key.
>>
>> Not true, it uses a perfectly standard Apple keyboard layout. # is (as
>> ever on Apple UK keyboards) option-3. The other keys are in their
>> normal places.
>>

> And a way of getting # as shift-3 and � as alt 3 is to choose Australian
> as the input source name

It might also be worth John looking for the non-UK keyboards that Apple
sell. Perhaps the USA physical layout suits him better?

<http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB110LB/A?mco=MTcwNDQ0NDQ>

If the link doesn't work just go to Mac Accessories > Mice & Keyboards.
--
Chris