From: Richard Tobin on
.... presumably for new Mac Pros and iMacs.

-- Richard
From: SM on
Richard Tobin <richard(a)cogsci.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> ... presumably for new Mac Pros and iMacs.

I hope the Mac Pros have a good update although I gave up waiting for it
a while back and bought a second-hand 2008 Pro. It would be good if it
brought through some more graphic cards that can be retro-fitted to
mine.

I noticed the GT 275 had been removed from the store some weeks ago
leaving just the 4870 and the feeble GT120 (apart from the hugely
expensive Nvidia whose name escapes me)

I'm not so interested in the iMacs since they're so good already.

Stuart
--
cut that out to reply
From: gordon on
Richard Tobin <richard(a)cogsci.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> ... presumably for new Mac Pros and iMacs.

Yes, I was in the middle of - no, at the end of - ordering a new iPod
from the store. After inputting credit card details, my response was,
Store Down..

Now I don't know whether my order was accepted or not - no email ack
yet. I can't believe they would cut off customers mid-order without
feedback, especially at that sensitive card data point. Anyone had this
happen?
From: David Empson on
Richard Tobin <richard(a)cogsci.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> ... presumably for new Mac Pros and iMacs.

iMac yes, Mac Pro not yet.

Plus Magic Trackpad and Apple battery charger.

Obvious changes on the iMac:

- Core i3, i5 and i7 processors.
- More L3 cache in some models.
- Memory bus now 1333 MHz.
- SDXC card slot.
- All ATI Radeon again: HD 4670, 5670 or 5750, up to 1 GB of video
memory (GDDR3 or GDDR5).

Did NOT get Blu-ray or USB 3.0. (I didn't expect either.)

Pricing in US is the same as the previous models. New Zealand stayed the
same for standard configurations of 21.5" models, up $100 for standard
configurations of 27" models. (I didn't note the previous UK prices for
comparison.)

Interesting configuraton option: Magic Trackpad can be had in addition
to the Magic Mouse, not instead of. What if I don't want a mouse at all?
(Not that I'd be in the market for an iMac anyway.)

The Magic Trackpad isn't being offered as a configuration option for the
Mac Mini yet, but you can choose no mouse and buy it separately.

Magic Trackpad needs a Mac running 10.6.4 (Intel implied) and a new
driver installed, with Bluetooth enabled.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: David Empson on
Tim Streater <timstreater(a)waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article <1jmbepr.14f9i0fdjxj9aN%dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz>,
> dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) wrote:
>
> > Richard Tobin <richard(a)cogsci.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > ... presumably for new Mac Pros and iMacs.
> >
> > iMac yes, Mac Pro not yet.
> >
> > Plus Magic Trackpad and Apple battery charger.
>
> Apparently no UK pricing yet for the iMac.
>
> I didn't see anywhere where it gave the capacity of those batteries with
> the charger - or are they just rebadged Eneloops?

An interesting point occurred to me:

There is a rumour of an updated version of iLife coming in August. If
Apple follows the usual pattern, computers bought within a reasonably
recent time frame will be eligible to get a cheap upgrade to the new
version.

A late July purchase of the new iMac probably qualifies. I doubt my
MacBook Pro bought in April will get a cheap upgrade.

(Haven't seen any iWork rumours yet, but it usually gets updated in sync
with iLife.)

Of course the rumour might be completely wrong. Again.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz