From: Gurdas on
Dennis,

We would like to build an installer that packages all required device drivers and does NOT require a separate installation from the DAQmx device driver CD.
How can we do this?

LV : 7.1 with Application Builder
H/W : USB-6009
DAQmx : 8.0

Presently, we use the DAQmx device driver CD (that accompanied the USB-6009) to install the drivers. We do not want to do it this way because:
1) It makes the installation a two-step process - (a) install DAQmx from device driver CD (b) install our application
2) It installs a lot of drivers which are not required by our application.

Thanks,
Gurdas
From: Gurdas on
Dear Raghunathan,
Thanks! That clarifies.
I have been luckier with LV 7.1 app builder. However, you now have the luxury of LV 8.0 :-)
1) Until today, I have never faced a serious issue with LV 7.1 App Builder. And we have done quite a few customer site installations where the target PC has no trace of LV. However, for each instance, we installed DAQ drivers from the separate driver CD and runtime was either part of the installer or came from the driver CD. We do ensure that the DAQ driver version on development machine is same as on target machine.
2) If we have changed the code, we simply make a new EXE. Not installer. And paste the new exe over the old exe. Works like a breeze. And we have done this more than a hundred times!!
3) I do not remember (for sure) if we ever did a installer rerun. But I have this feeling that we have tried this and did not face a problem.
4) Incidently, today I faced a new issue while trying to juggle with installers. I installed LV 7.1 runtime on a fresh PC and copied my EXE. When I ran the exe it reported some missing device drivers and as expected my application did not run. I then made a installer with runtime and ran the setup on the same PC. Now, when I double-clicked the exe, it reported something like "Version 7.1.1 is different from 7.1"!! The previous EXE and new installer were generated on the same development machine. I could not figure out what was happening.