From: bob on
I have Outlook 2003. My hard drive is getting full. I already manually pull
(drag and drop) emails older than a month off the server and on to an Archive
file on my hard drive. I would like to archive old emails from 2008 and 2009
(now on my hard drive) to a file on a USB drive. I can free up space on my
hard drive but access the older years as needed off the USB. How do I create
that file on the USB that I can just drag files off my hard drive Archive to
the USB file?
--
bob
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"bob" <bob(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I have Outlook 2003. My hard drive is getting full. I already manually pull
> (drag and drop) emails older than a month off the server and on to an
> Archive
> file on my hard drive. I would like to archive old emails from 2008 and
> 2009
> (now on my hard drive) to a file on a USB drive. I can free up space on my
> hard drive but access the older years as needed off the USB. How do I
> create
> that file on the USB that I can just drag files off my hard drive Archive to
> the USB file?

I wouldn't drag messages out of Outlook to put on the USB drive. Instead, I'd
create a new PST (File>New>Outlook Data File), fill it with the data I wanted
to archive, remove the PST from my profile (right-click the root and choose
Close), close Outlook, then copy the PST to the USB drive.

If this "USB drive" is an actual hard drive, then just create a PST there and
you don't have to close it unless you intend to disconnect the drive. If it's
a memory stick, then follow the procedure I outlined.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]