From: Jeff on
On 8/4/2010 11:23 PM, D.Duck wrote:

> <Jeff(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 8/2/2010 8:55 PM, D.Duck wrote:
>>>

>>> "Ray" <nospam(a)aol.com> wrote in message

>>> And then if the house burns down you better have backed up to a HDD kept
>>> in a family members home or use one of the on-line storage services.
>>>
>>> I believe you can never have enough backups of critical data. Hey...I
>>> wear and a belt and suspenders. 8>)
>> Not too sure about entrusting my financial data to the cloud. One
>> never knows.....
>
> I look at it this way. All my financial institutions keep my data on a
> server in the "clouds". No way to get around that.

Yes but they have (hopefully) better security than these backup sites.
From: Ray on
On 8/5/2010 9:16 AM, Jeff(a)nospam.invalid wrote:
> On 8/4/2010 11:23 PM, D.Duck wrote:
>>

>> <Jeff(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Not too sure about entrusting my financial data to the cloud. One
>>> never knows.....
>>
>> I look at it this way. All my financial institutions keep my data on a
>> server in the "clouds". No way to get around that.
>
> Yes but they have (hopefully) better security than these backup sites.

I agree totally.. none of my Personal or Important info do I keep on 'clouds'
I go the backup to external hard drives.. multiples.. before I do the 'clouds'
From: slb on
Wanna bet?

I've been in IT for 36 years and am currently CIO at a rather large company. Go beyond the trade
rag and consultant (I was one of them for 18 years, too) hype and you'll find companies are very
cautious about moving all their data to mysterious "external clouds." Mine certainly is.
Financial institutions and health care providers are even more at risk due to the sensitive
information they must protect (I also worked for a major credit card company).

Besides security issues, you also have to deal with intellectual property concerns (especially
outside the US - see UAE vs. RIM), what happens if the cloud co goes out of business, declares
bancruptcy, or gets bought (will contracts be honored?), how to move data if you switch to
another cloud co, etc., etc., etc.

There's also the time necessary to encrypt and transmit data to the "cloud." A DS3 connection
(around $3k/mo) transmits at around 5.5 MBYTES/second. Moving 200 GB can take 10+ hours.

Several years ago I was CIO at a financial services company that outsourced our data center to a
colocation facility. I was at the site one day when law enforcement arrived with a subpoena and
hauled out a large shared disk storage array. Fortunately, my data wasn't on that device.
However, there were several innocent companies whose data was pulled offline for a while and
potentially compromised as the authorities searched the array. I immediately bought an array and
moved my company data from the shared device we had been renting.

There are some advantages to clouds but it's not happening as fast as some would lead you to
believe because they have something they want to sell.

sb

From: John Carter on
slb <slb(a)aol.com> wrote in news:4C5B7CAD.7EF2E460(a)aol.com:

> Wanna bet?
>
> I've been in IT for 36 years and am currently CIO at a rather
> large company. Go beyond the trade rag and consultant (I was one
> of them for 18 years, too) hype and you'll find companies are very
> cautious about moving all their data to mysterious "external
> clouds." Mine certainly is. Financial institutions and health care
> providers are even more at risk due to the sensitive information
> they must protect (I also worked for a major credit card company).
>
> Besides security issues, you also have to deal with intellectual
> property concerns (especially outside the US - see UAE vs. RIM),
> what happens if the cloud co goes out of business, declares
> bancruptcy, or gets bought (will contracts be honored?), how to
> move data if you switch to another cloud co, etc., etc., etc.
>
> There's also the time necessary to encrypt and transmit data to
> the "cloud." A DS3 connection (around $3k/mo) transmits at around
> 5.5 MBYTES/second. Moving 200 GB can take 10+ hours.
>
> Several years ago I was CIO at a financial services company that
> outsourced our data center to a colocation facility. I was at the
> site one day when law enforcement arrived with a subpoena and
> hauled out a large shared disk storage array. Fortunately, my data
> wasn't on that device. However, there were several innocent
> companies whose data was pulled offline for a while and
> potentially compromised as the authorities searched the array. I
> immediately bought an array and moved my company data from the
> shared device we had been renting.
>
> There are some advantages to clouds but it's not happening as fast
> as some would lead you to believe because they have something they
> want to sell.
>
> sb

AMEN!

In my mind, the "cloud" is still a newfound buzzword that could
possibly live up to the hype its getting. But until it is proven
to be something other than another method of separating users
from their hard-earned money, I'll stay out of the clouds and
remain in the realm of reality in the real world.
From: XS11E on
slb <slb(a)aol.com> wrote:

> There are some advantages to clouds

And they are?