From: Jim H on
XS11E wrote:
> slb <slb(a)aol.com> wrote:
>
>> There are some advantages to clouds
>
> And they are?

I worked in large data centers and distributed computing environments
for decades, and seen how they provide reliable up-to-date computing for
the population that they support. Some advantages are:

Distributed computer power can solve very large problems that individual
computers cannot approach.

Distributed data can have instantaneous backups at multiple locations,
making mission critical data more available.

Distributed application software can be updated dynamically without the
worry of individuals performing the updates.

Distributed computing permits access to data and software from virtually
any location.

While some of these advantages are already a reality in limited
implementations, not all of them are being implemented across the
Internet, yet. As the development of cloud computing progresses, they will.
--
Jim

From: XS11E on
Jim H <jimh(a)invalid.com> wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
>> slb <slb(a)aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> There are some advantages to clouds
>>
>> And they are?
>>

> I worked in large data centers and distributed computing

Distributed computing is irrelevent to the discussion, we're talking
cloud storage, a different matter.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: Jim H on
XS11E wrote:
> Jim H <jimh(a)invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> XS11E wrote:

>>> And they are?
>>>

>> I worked in large data centers and distributed computing
>
> Distributed computing is irrelevent to the discussion, we're talking
> cloud storage, a different matter.

Not really. In may last job, I was located in Arizona. My data was in
California, Colorado, North Carolina, and New York. Some applications
were local to my machine. Others were also on the remote servers.
Whether it is the data or the applications are being made available from
remote computers makes little difference. All of the servers work
together to make data and application computing transparently mobile.

From Wikipedia....
Cloud computing is Internet-based computing, whereby shared resources,
software, and information are provided to computers and other devices
on demand, like the electricity grid.

The question asked was "What are some advantages to clouds?" The
advantages include the things that I mentioned, including the two points
that dealt specifically with data storage. Instantaneous backups at
multiple locations, and data available virtually anywhere.
From: slb on

Jim H wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
> > Jim H <jimh(a)invalid.com> wrote:

> >> I worked in large data centers and distributed computing
> >
> > Distributed computing is irrelevent to the discussion, we're talking
> > cloud storage, a different matter.
> >

> Not really. In may last job, I was located in Arizona. My data was in
> California, Colorado, North Carolina, and New York. Some applications
> were local to my machine. Others were also on the remote servers.
> Whether it is the data or the applications are being made available from
> remote computers makes little difference. All of the servers work
> together to make data and application computing transparently mobile.
>
> From Wikipedia....
> Cloud computing is Internet-based computing, whereby shared resources,
> software, and information are provided to computers and other devices
> on demand, like the electricity grid.
>
> The question asked was "What are some advantages to clouds?" The
> advantages include the things that I mentioned, including the two points
> that dealt specifically with data storage. Instantaneous backups at
> multiple locations, and data available virtually anywhere.

This sounds more like a Virtual Private Network. If all the data is on
physical storage devices owned by the company running over the Internet as
VPN tunnels -- it's not a "cloud" (OK call it an internal cloud). I was
doing this 10 years ago, before "cloud" became the latest, greatest
buzzword.

My definition of "cloud" storage involves giving up control of your data to
a third party Internet provided (with or without a VPN). You may not even
know what country hosts your data. That's why my original comments apply.
You can have all the contractual legalease you want, but if the company
sells out or the country wants to snoop, you actually have no recourse and
may not even be able to retrieve YOUR data.

Your reference to the electricity grid highlights the shared/who really owns
question. Who really owns and runs the Internet? That's the rub.

My couple of pennies worth......

Regards,
sb

First  |  Prev  |