From: Ray Fischer on
Bubba <digitalrube(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Apr 18, 2:27�pm, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 06:14:32 -0700 (PDT), Bubba
>>
>> <digitalr...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >On another and not totally unrelated subject, to my shock, I see that
>> >several DSLRs don't come with CMOS sensors. Aside from the single
>> >lens, I thought *all* DSLRs "had to have" a CMOS sensor.
>>
>> No, that's not the case at all. �Nearly all the early DSLRs had CCD
>> sensors. �CMOS sensors tended to be more noisy and therefore needed
>> more effective noise reduction in the camera's firmware. �But CMOS
>> sensors and noise reduction have both been improved since then.
>>
>> CMOS sensors can be cheaper to make, and they also make it easy to
>> offer the Live View feature that is now considered almost essential on
>> DSLRs. �It's probably a combination of those and other factors that
>> led to CMOS being the most popular choice for DSLR sensors.
>
>My response didn't "take." I asked for a general date when CMOS
>replaced CCD, because in 2006 I bought and returned a huge Digital
>Rebel 8MP. Also, no one has told me why the Nikon model just released
>is two hundred dollars cheaper than the Canon.

Haven't you noticed that electronic devices in general tend to fall
in price? Do you really not know why?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Bubba on
On Apr 18, 6:59 pm, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:

> Haven't you noticed that electronic devices in general tend to fall
> in price?  Do you really not know why?

My phrasing was very unclear. I wanted to know why the *new* Nikon
Coolpix P100 with the CMOS sensor was two hundred dollars cheaper than
the (very recent) Canon SX1. I postulated the swivel screen cost $200.
From: Allen on
Ray Fischer wrote:
> Bubba <digitalrube(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 18, 2:27 pm, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No, that's not the case at all. Nearly all the early DSLRs had CCD
>>> sensors. CMOS sensors tended to be more noisy and therefore needed
>>> more effective noise reduction in the camera's firmware. But CMOS
>>> sensors and noise reduction have both been improved since then.
>>>
>>> CMOS sensors can be cheaper to make, and they also make it easy to
>>> offer the Live View feature that is now considered almost essential on
>>> DSLRs. It's probably a combination of those and other factors that
>>> led to CMOS being the most popular choice for DSLR sensors.
>> My response didn't "take." I asked for a general date when CMOS
>> replaced CCD, because in 2006 I bought and returned a huge Digital
>> Rebel 8MP. Also, no one has told me why the Nikon model just released
>> is two hundred dollars cheaper than the Canon.
>
> Haven't you noticed that electronic devices in general tend to fall
> in price? Do you really not know why?

I remember when my employer was paying $7000 for IBM PCs (the first
model--no hard drive, 64 K memory) complete with green monitor and slow
dot matrix printer. Oh, and the first box of 10 360K floppies that we
bought was $80 (US$, not Zimbabwe$). This was in 1984, as I recall. Talk
about falling prices!
Allen
From: Bubba on
On Apr 18, 8:08 pm, Allen <all...(a)austin.rr.com> wrote:

> I remember when my employer was paying $7000 for IBM PCs (the first
> model--no hard drive, 64 K memory) complete with green monitor and slow
> dot matrix printer. Oh, and the first box of 10 360K floppies that we
> bought was $80 (US$, not Zimbabwe$). This was in 1984, as I recall. Talk
> about falling prices!

I can do you one better. I paid $450 for a Brother electric
typewriter...with "memory." Someone who worked for AT&T got a "deal"
on a better typewriter, with "programmable memory." That was only
chump change at $1,700+. A lot of people made money in the 80's on
office equipment, probably the same people who are making money on
digital cameras today.
From: David J Taylor on
> My phrasing was very unclear. I wanted to know why the *new* Nikon
> Coolpix P100 with the CMOS sensor was two hundred dollars cheaper than
> the (very recent) Canon SX1. I postulated the swivel screen cost $200.

If I were comparing those two cameras, I would consider:

- image quality - is one significantly better?

- handling - is one easier to use?

- zoom range - is the 26mm of the Nikon a significant advantage?

- swivel finder - will that be useful to you?

- optical rather than sensor shift stabilisation - optical may be
preferred.

Compare here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sx1is%2Cnikon_cpp100&show=all

BTW: that says the Canon is from Sep 2008, so hardly "very recent". Is
that the right model?

Cheers,
David

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last