From: DanP on
On 19 Apr, 00:38, Bubba <digitalr...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 18, 6:59 pm, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>

> > Haven't you noticed that electronic devices in general tend to fall
> > in price?  Do you really not know why?
>
> My phrasing was very unclear. I wanted to know why the *new* Nikon
> Coolpix P100 with the CMOS sensor was two hundred dollars cheaper than
> the (very recent) Canon SX1. I postulated the swivel screen cost $200.

Maybe development costs for Nikon are less or they sell more numbers.
Or because it is newer is cheaper.
When seeing 2 similar cameras with a big price gap between them I do
not ask why, I just buy the cheapest.
CMOS or CCD is not important, performance is.

DanP
From: Bubba on
On Apr 19, 5:13 am, DanP <dan.pe...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe development costs for Nikon are less or they sell more numbers.
> Or because it is newer is cheaper.
> When seeing 2 similar cameras with a big price gap between them I do
> not ask why, I just buy the cheapest.
> CMOS or CCD is not important, performance is.

A significant problem for people who live in rural areas or even in
suburban places not associated with a metropolis, is that actually
*seeing* two cameras you'd like to compare is often impossible. For
example, last week I was in the vicinity of Bestbuy, a major retailer
(if you or David Taylor are from the UK). People are often snide about
Bestbuy, but their clerks are as knowledgeable as many phone jockeys
at online camera retailers. I went in and asked for the Nikon and G11
(both of which are available from Bestbuy.Com). The store had neither.

Second, if a CMOS sensor is not preferable to a CCD, why are CMOS
sensors only in high-end cameras (high-end P&S, that is)? This would
seem to indicate CMOS sensors are definitely preferable to CCD.

Third, the reason I decided not to go with the Canon SX1 is that I
read the entire line had been blocked from sale in December by *the*
major online retailer here in the U.S. (whose name I never use on
Usenet or elsewhere). It's for sale now only through Canon directly OR
through unauthorized Canon dealers. Adorama (where I have bought my
cameras in the past, though God knows why; they have the most abrupt
and arrogant sales staff I've spoken to) and BH Photo (another big
camera retailer in NYC) list it as either backordered or (BH)
discontinued. Before I knew of this recall or blockage, or whatever, I
called one of the unauthorized dealers in the Long Island area (it
seems the Long Island area is where a lot of fly-by-nighters lurk).
They told me I shouldn't get my nose out of joint that they were an
authorized dealer because, "The SX1 isn't even an American camera.
It's manufactured for Canon UK, and no one in the U.S. who owns one
would ever get a camera repair done by an American technician who
manufactured it."

Of course I realize this was just bull, but it brought to mind a
question: I had spent at least two weeks researching the SX1 before
stumbling upon this recall or blockage. Is there a site where troubled
lines are brought to a consumer's awareness?

Thanks to both of you.
From: Doug Jewell on
Bubba wrote:
> On Apr 18, 6:59 pm, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>> Haven't you noticed that electronic devices in general tend to fall
>> in price? Do you really not know why?
>
> My phrasing was very unclear. I wanted to know why the *new* Nikon
> Coolpix P100 with the CMOS sensor was two hundred dollars cheaper than
> the (very recent) Canon SX1. I postulated the swivel screen cost $200.
The canon has RAW format shooting, a hotshoe for an external
flashgun, and has in-lens image-stabilisation. Although the
Canon uses AA batteries compared to LiIon in the Nikon, the
Canon gets far better battery life.
Also interesting to note that the Canon is heavier without
batteries than the Nikon with battery. That would imply to
me that the Canon uses better quality construction.

--
What is the difference between a duck?
First  |  Prev  |