From: Bubba on
I noticed a very inexpensive Nikon that hasn't even been reviewed yet
on dpreview, the Coolpix P100. It has a CMOS sensor and unbelievable
digital zoom, but it's gotten mediocre-to-poor reviews from
purchasers.

On another and not totally unrelated subject, to my shock, I see that
several DSLRs don't come with CMOS sensors. Aside from the single
lens, I thought *all* DSLRs "had to have" a CMOS sensor.

Anyway, I'm still jonesing for the Canon SX1, and will probably stay
with it for the swivel screen alone. But the $200 difference in price
tag between it and this new Nikon release makes me also ask if there's
a difference in CMOS sensor quality.
From: nospam on
In article
<e4dc9e6c-983b-46cb-9799-acb1b6e10043(a)b23g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
Bubba <digitalrube(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> On another and not totally unrelated subject, to my shock, I see that
> several DSLRs don't come with CMOS sensors. Aside from the single
> lens, I thought *all* DSLRs "had to have" a CMOS sensor.

nope. up until a couple of years ago, nikon, pentax and sony had ccd
sensors in their slrs (all made by sony). now most have cmos.
From: Chris Malcolm on
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article
> <e4dc9e6c-983b-46cb-9799-acb1b6e10043(a)b23g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
> Bubba <digitalrube(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>> On another and not totally unrelated subject, to my shock, I see that
>> several DSLRs don't come with CMOS sensors. Aside from the single
>> lens, I thought *all* DSLRs "had to have" a CMOS sensor.

> nope. up until a couple of years ago, nikon, pentax and sony had ccd
> sensors in their slrs (all made by sony). now most have cmos.

And some still consider that Sony's last DSLR with a CCD sensor, the
A350/380, has slightly superior low ISO resolution and colour to their
latest CMOS sensor of the same size, as in the A550. The advantage of
the CMOS sensor is much better high ISO noise performance.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Bruce on
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 06:14:32 -0700 (PDT), Bubba
<digitalrube(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On another and not totally unrelated subject, to my shock, I see that
>several DSLRs don't come with CMOS sensors. Aside from the single
>lens, I thought *all* DSLRs "had to have" a CMOS sensor.

No, that's not the case at all. Nearly all the early DSLRs had CCD
sensors. CMOS sensors tended to be more noisy and therefore needed
more effective noise reduction in the camera's firmware. But CMOS
sensors and noise reduction have both been improved since then.

CMOS sensors can be cheaper to make, and they also make it easy to
offer the Live View feature that is now considered almost essential on
DSLRs. It's probably a combination of those and other factors that
led to CMOS being the most popular choice for DSLR sensors.

From: Bubba on
On Apr 18, 2:27 pm, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 06:14:32 -0700 (PDT), Bubba
>
> <digitalr...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >On another and not totally unrelated subject, to my shock, I see that
> >several DSLRs don't come with CMOS sensors. Aside from the single
> >lens, I thought *all* DSLRs "had to have" a CMOS sensor.
>
> No, that's not the case at all.  Nearly all the early DSLRs had CCD
> sensors.  CMOS sensors tended to be more noisy and therefore needed
> more effective noise reduction in the camera's firmware.  But CMOS
> sensors and noise reduction have both been improved since then.
>
> CMOS sensors can be cheaper to make, and they also make it easy to
> offer the Live View feature that is now considered almost essential on
> DSLRs.  It's probably a combination of those and other factors that
> led to CMOS being the most popular choice for DSLR sensors.

My response didn't "take." I asked for a general date when CMOS
replaced CCD, because in 2006 I bought and returned a huge Digital
Rebel 8MP. Also, no one has told me why the Nikon model just released
is two hundred dollars cheaper than the Canon. It can't just be
because of the much-belowed swivel screen (whose benefit no one will
know until they have one).
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: The Tabernacle of Lima