From: Androcles on

"dlzc" <dlzc1(a)cox.net> wrote in message
Dear Henry Wilson DSc:

On Aug 3, 2:30 pm, ..@..(Henry Wilson DSc) wrote:
> Since gravitation exerts a force on both
> matter and light, might it not also affect
> electric and magnetic fields directly?

Gravitation does not exert a *force* on matter or light.
===================================
Smiffytation is not the art of saying what things do.

> If so, might it not follow that the
> artificial distortion of an electric or
> magnetic field should give rise to a
> gravitational force?

Gravitation distorts jello. If we can make distorted jello, do you
think a gravitational force will result?
=======================================
Spacetime is made of jello now. Smiffy said so.

From: eric gisse on
...@..(Henry Wilson DSc) wrote:

> Since gravitation exerts a force on both matter and light, might it not
> also affect electric and magnetic fields directly?
>
> If so, might it not follow that the artificial distortion of an electric
> or magnetic field should give rise to a gravitational force?
>
> Since magnetic and electric fields frequently coexist and since they
> provide the only known means of distorting each other, is it not
> conceivable that gravity is indeed just a manifestation of all the mutual
> field distortion present in all matter.
>
> Henry Wilson...
>
> .......Einstein's Relativity...The religion that worships negative space.

While the answer to this is exactly known by physicists with GR + Maxwell's
equations, you reject both so there's no point in giving you an answer
that's worth a damn.
From: Thomas Heger on
Henry Wilson DSc schrieb:
> Since gravitation exerts a force on both matter and light, might it not also
> affect electric and magnetic fields directly?
>
> If so, might it not follow that the artificial distortion of an electric or
> magnetic field should give rise to a gravitational force?
>
> Since magnetic and electric fields frequently coexist and since they provide
> the only known means of distorting each other, is it not conceivable that
> gravity is indeed just a manifestation of all the mutual field distortion
> present in all matter.

Imagine an equilibrium as the infinity sign. The tips of this lying
eight (where the line builds a cross) point towards each other.
This is a static situation, hence we can't see anything.
Now imagine gravity as curved spacetime. Than the level gets out of
balance and we experience a 'wobble', that is between the tips, that do
not fit together. The higher the curvature the higher that wobble.
We do indeed find such waves in the microwave range, but erroneously
ascribe it to the big bang.
We could of course generate the same waves by other means like high
voltage or temperature.
So gravity 'is' in a way the out-of-balance of such fields, due to the
curvature of the earth surface, what we experience in the vertical
direction as a force and in horizontal direction as radiation.

TH

From: nuny on
On Aug 3, 2:30 pm, ..@..(Henry Wilson DSc) wrote:
> Since gravitation exerts a force on both matter and light, might it not also
> affect electric and magnetic fields directly?
>
> If so, might it not follow that the artificial distortion of an electric or
> magnetic field should give rise to a gravitational force?

People who work with strong, deliberately distorted magnetic fields,
would have noticed it by now.

Oh, and I don't mean "big science":

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinkergallery.html

Mark L. Fergerson
From: PD on
On Aug 3, 4:30 pm, ..@..(Henry Wilson DSc) wrote:
> Since gravitation exerts a force on both matter and light, might it not also
> affect electric and magnetic fields directly?
>
> If so, might it not follow that the artificial distortion of an electric or
> magnetic field should give rise to a gravitational force?
>
> Since magnetic and electric fields frequently coexist and since they provide
> the only known means of distorting each other, is it not conceivable that
> gravity is indeed just a manifestation of all the mutual field distortion
> present in all matter.
>
> Henry Wilson...
>
> .......Einstein's Relativity...The religion that worships negative space.

Several comments:
1. You say that gravity might distort EM fields, which would produce
gravity. This is a bit of a circle, as you can see.
2. The interdependence of electric and magnetic fields applies in
matter-free space, not just in matter. That's what Maxwell's equations
say.
3. There have been multiple attempts to explain gravity in terms of
electromagnetic fields. See, for example, Kaluza-Klein. Do catch up.