From: liquidator on

"McSteve" <mcsteve1350x(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
> "liquidator" wrote:
>> A quick google shows you can go here to see Acoustic's 1968 catalog,
>> since you seem to doubt me.
>>

> Where did I say that I doubted you? I just said I didn't recall
> seeing the Acoustic brand back then.
>
> Touchy, touchy, touchy....
> --
> Steve <snip> McQ

You seem more worried about it than I was. No biggie.

From: McSteve on
"liquidator" wrote:
> I saw Jose Feliciano at Ohio University, actually went to see the lead in
> act...Led Zeppelin. It was either 4 or 6 bucks, can't remember.

Some of the billings back then were funny in retrospect. Hendrix was
the opening act for The Monkees when he first toured the US.
I saw some interesting bills back then, too. Santana as the opener for
The Who in Boston. I think it was before "Woodstock" (the movie)
was released. Mahavishnu Orchestra (1.0) opening for Loggins and
Messina. That was a backwards bill. They also opened for Mott the
Hoople on another gig. I left 2 songs into the headliner. Another f'd
up billing was Weather Report as the opener for John Mayall. Joe
Walsh was supposed to open, but cancelled last minute. So, some
fool booked WR as a replacement. The Mayall/Walsh crowd was
less than appreciative of Zawinul, Shorter, et al. Nearly ruined it
for me. Left after Mayall's 1st tune. This was Early WR with Vitous
on bass, Greg Errico on drums.

--
Steve <snip> McQ

From: liquidator on

> "liquidator" wrote:
>> I saw Jose Feliciano at Ohio University, actually went to see the lead in
>> act...Led Zeppelin. It was either 4 or 6 bucks, can't remember.
>>

> Some of the billings back then were funny in retrospect. Hendrix was
> the opening act for The Monkees when he first toured the US.
> I saw some interesting bills back then, too. Santana as the opener for
> The Who in Boston. I think it was before "Woodstock" (the movie)
> was released. Mahavishnu Orchestra (1.0) opening for Loggins and
> Messina. That was a backwards bill. They also opened for Mott the
> Hoople on another gig. I left 2 songs into the headliner. Another f'd
> up billing was Weather Report as the opener for John Mayall. Joe
> Walsh was supposed to open, but cancelled last minute. So, some
> fool booked WR as a replacement. The Mayall/Walsh crowd was
> less than appreciative of Zawinul, Shorter, et al. Nearly ruined it
> for me. Left after Mayall's 1st tune. This was Early WR with Vitous
> on bass, Greg Errico on drums.
>
> --
> Steve <snip> McQ

Dunno if you saw the Buddy Holly movie, but the promoter thought they were
black and booked them, I think in the Apollo?

From: McSteve on
<Leon(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> I regret I never got to see the Beatles,
> Never saw the Stones either.

The one I most regret never seeing is John Coltrane.
I wasn't really aware of his work until after he died.
I saw plenty of bands in the 60s. Cream, Airplane,
Dead, Lovin Spoonful, Sam the Sham, James Brown,
The Stones.All sorts of stuff. James Brown's band in
the 60s was phenomenal!
At this stage, there's very few acts I would pay to see.
Very,very few.

--
Steve <snip> McQ

From: DougD on
In article <hdvh3v$71r$1(a)aioe.org>, "McSteve" <mcsteve1350x(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>"liquidator" wrote:
>> I remember seeing the Doors back then they had a bunch of Acoustic cabs
>> stacked up. Kinda lloked like the beginnings of a real PA.
>>

>I saw The Doors in that same venue at Brown U. It's a hockey rink.
>
>I do not recall the Acoustic brand being in use in '68. First time I saw
>that nameplate was Mahavishnu Orchestra's first tour in '71. That was
>also at Brown U, but a different building.
>
>I'm pretty sure that column (Hendrix pic) is either Standell or Shure.

You can spot Acoustic's being used by Santana on the Woodstock
film. I used what would have been considered an Acoustic "desk"
for FOH way back in about 73 that had been bought by the bass
player fresh back from Vietnam, I think he returned in '70.
It was a whopping 8 channels, huge volumn knobs, and a clanky
internal reverb. Still better than the Tapco's that everyone was
using at that time though!

d.