From: Betov on
"santosh" <santosh.k83(a)gmail.com> ?crivait news:1142186294.455607.317920
@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

> Err...Betov, I think you're confusing sevagK to be Randy Hyde here.
> :)

Are you sure it makes some difference? They are both
medical studies' cases, you know...

:))

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Chewy509 on

T933191278 wrote:
> Chewy509 wrote:
>
> > How do you guys do testing on your assemblers and/or libraries and
> > applications?
> I use various methods, first i do some small tests when programing to
> see if the program
> works as expected, second i assemble a sample program with all the
> instrucctions and i compare the output with others assemblers y also
> make some test with incorrect sources to test error handling ,and third
> i use this assembler (octasm) myself ,the test suite is all my programs
> and also wait that others users will report bugs.

Thanks... I'm doing something similar. Just wanted to know if there
were any other techniques that are suitable for assembler/compiler
testing...

--
Darran (aka Chewy509) brought to you by Google Groups!

From: Chewy509 on

randyhyde wrote:
> [...]
> > bugs**?
> >
> > What about things like complete regression testing, out-of-band testing
> > (supplying complete garbage input to see how the
> > assembler/compiler/libraries handle it), source-code auditing, formal
> > validations, etc...
>
> Many years ago, I did a fairly complete code coverage test on HLA v1.x.
> As time passed (and the source code and language changed), the test
> suite became less and less useful. It got to the point where half the
> code either didn't compile (because of language changes) or wasn't
> testing anything useful (because of source code changes). Ultimately, I
> stopped using that suite because it wasn't achieving anything (i.e.,
> finding defects in the code). After that point, I used a set of
> specific test files for the features I was working on, but no formal
> test suite for the entire assembler.
>
> Of course, for each release I usually (unless I'm in a hurry or forget)
> compile every HLA sample source file I have on Webster to see if I've
> broken anything major. While this doesn't test the *entire* language or
> compiler by any stretch of the imagination, it does catch stupid stuff.
> And making sure that the example programs still compile is kind of
> important. If someone is reading AoA and the sample programs don't
> compile, this is a bit of a problem.
>
> For HLA v2.x, I have a very formal regression test suite that I'm
> using. Each module has two sets of test files -- one set tests code
> coverage, the other checks error conditions. I compile each file and
> compare its output against a version that I've checked by hand. That
> way I can run these thousands of tests in an automated fashion in about
> five minutes (well, so far; as the assembler gets larger I expect that
> time to expand).
>
> The code coverage test programs tend to be rather long, trying to cover
> as many paths as possible in a single source file (it is not possible
> to achieve code coverage with a single source file, however, so there
> are several such files per module). The code that tests error
> conditions usually tests only *one* condition per source file. Once
> you've had one error, any further results become suspect because of
> cascading errors. It would be nice to test combinations of errors, but
> you get a combinatorial explosion when you try this, and furthermore,
> cascading errors with a *single* error condition often produce multiple
> error messages, which change as the code is modified; maintaining
> single error conditions in all these files is bad enough.
>
> Ultimately, code coverage testing isn't *that* good. But several books
> estimate that about 50% of the bugs in common applications exist in
> code that has never before executed until the bug was discovered. So if
> you really do achieve code coverage (a feat in itself), you'll find
> about 50% of the outstanding defects in the code (in theory, at least).

Hi Randy,

I'm doing something similar, just a basic script that compiles all the
examples and compares to the previous version, as well as additional
files that check for error/fail conditions and out-of-band syntax (eg
symbols are the too large to fit into the internal buffers (more than
256 characters), nesting too many files (32 files deep), or overly
complex preprocessor nesting (256 levels deep of #ifdef/#else/#endif),
etc). Obvisously, like yourself each fail-condition is a separate file.

But the one thing that has helped enormously, at least in my case is
rewritting the compiler in it's own language... (As this has tested
roughly 99% of the code path, and dealing with a cross-platform product
it gets a good workout). I'm assuming your finding that experience
similar with rewritting HLA v2 in HLA?

The thing was, I was wondering if there was a better or alternate way
of testing...

At least for my purpose, there doesn't appear to be. Thanks to everyone
for their feedback! :)

PS. Good to see Rene is back in fine form! ;)

--
Darran (aka Chewy509) brought to you by Google Groups!

From: Chewy509 on
o//annabee wrote:

> LOL. I recompile EVERY thing in my code, maybe 100 times a day :))
> Thats maybe 1000 routines.

Impressive, got a download link to your assembler?

Any notable features, say above RosAsm? (I know that you're secretly
conspiring against Rene, to overthrow his RosAsm empire with your own
RosAsm syntax compatible assembler).

--
Darran (aka Chewy509) brought to you by Google Groups!

From: o//annabee on
P? Mon, 13 Mar 2006 02:24:26 +0100, skrev <Chewy509(a)austarnet.com.au>:

> o//annabee wrote:
>>
>> LOL. I recompile EVERY thing in my code, maybe 100 times a day :))
>> Thats maybe 1000 routines.
>
> Impressive, got a download link to your assembler?

Its just Randall writing to confuse. I use the RosAsm assembler to write
on various hobby projects in assembly. I actually never counted my
routines. But there are 12000 code labels in one of my apps. (RosAsm
statistics).

> Any notable features, say above RosAsm? (I know that you're secretly
> conspiring against Rene, to overthrow his RosAsm empire with your own
> RosAsm syntax compatible assembler).

:)) Heh? What ever gave you such an idea?

Here is a link to what I work on : < http://szmyggenpv.com/ >

In addition, I have started rewriting now. To do all drawing to a memory
buffer, manually.

> --
> Darran (aka Chewy509) brought to you by Google Groups!

--
Bonnsky.