From: Paul on
McCorkindale wrote:

> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
>> McCorkindale wrote:
>>> I have this mo/bo running Core 2 CPU 6600/ @2.40 GHz for some time now
>>> and I would like to upgrade this CPU. I wonder weather there is
>>> someone who
>>> runs this m/b with much faster CPU. Any information on this topic
>>> will be
>>> greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> jdr
>>
>> It's much more economical to just overclock your Q6600. For the small
>> step in stock speed you'll get from an upgrade, it just isn't worth it.
>>
>> http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5B%20Deluxe
>>

>> You should be able to get at least 3GHz from it, by overclocking. You
>> can look through the reviews here for the Q6600 and see what
>> ordinary users managed to get from it, by overclocking.
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017
>>
>> Paul
>

> Thank you Paul,
> Somehow, I'm not convinced that is exactly the same.
> It depends what want to achieve. I was thinking about
> replacing the present CPU (Core 2) with core 2 Quad.
> In this case in want be only speed but in volume as well
> playing quite important part.
>
> But I take your point and see into it.
>
> Jdr

OK, so your original processor is an E6600 and not a Q6600.
My mistake. There is more room to upgrade then.

Additional cores help, if the software you use is multi-core aware,
and spreads the task over all the cores. Not all software will
do that. Just so you know what to expect. Some multimedia software
is multi-core aware, so perhaps some kinds of movie editing or rendering
applications will run faster.

The fastest reasonably priced processor is the Core 2 Quad Q9550
2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache at $270. Faster than this gets too expensive
(and you should consider LGA1156 or LGA1366 motherboards and
processors instead in that case).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041

The Q8300 Core 2 Quad 2.5GHz 4MB L2 Cache is $149. It is an
FSB1333 part. It would give you about double the performance
with the right application running (and using all cores).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115207

Looking at the reviews on Newegg for your P5B Deluxe motherboard,
one person managed to get the FSB clock up to 500 MHz or FSB2000.
If you started with a FSB1333 processor and got it to run FSB2000,
you'd have a bit of overclocking headroom. So you might manage to
squeeze a bit more from your Q8300. It is a 45nm part, so
watch out for applying too much Vcore boost. Check one
of the enthusiast sites, to verify the limit is 1.4 volts.
I think the 45nm processors don't last very long, if you
give them more voltage than that. Extra voltage is only
needed if you're trying for a large overclock. If you plan
to leave it at stock 2.5GHz speed, then there is no need
for a voltage boost.

Reading the Newegg reviews for the Q8300, it isn't a huge
overclocker. Maybe somewhere between 2.8Ghz and 3.1GHz or so.
So between the motherboard and the CPU, the CPU is probably
the limiting factor to overclocking.

Paul