From: McCorkindale on
I have this mo/bo running Core 2 CPU 6600/ @2.40 GHz for some time now
and I would like to upgrade this CPU. I wonder weather there is someone
who
runs this m/b with much faster CPU. Any information on this topic will be
greatly appreciated.

jdr

From: McCorkindale on

"McCorkindale" <mccorkindale(a)virgin.net> wrote in message
> I have this mo/bo running Core 2 CPU 6600/ @2.40 GHz for some time now
> and I would like to upgrade this CPU. I wonder weather there is someone
> who
> runs this m/b with much faster CPU. Any information on this topic will
> be
> greatly appreciated.

P.S.
Does this mo/bo support (for example) Core 2 Quad 8300 ?

From: Paul on
McCorkindale wrote:
> I have this mo/bo running Core 2 CPU 6600/ @2.40 GHz for some time now
> and I would like to upgrade this CPU. I wonder weather there is
> someone who
> runs this m/b with much faster CPU. Any information on this topic
> will be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> jdr

It's much more economical to just overclock your Q6600. For the small
step in stock speed you'll get from an upgrade, it just isn't worth it.

http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5B%20Deluxe

You should be able to get at least 3GHz from it, by overclocking. You
can look through the reviews here for the Q6600 and see what
ordinary users managed to get from it, by overclocking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

Paul
From: McCorkindale on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> McCorkindale wrote:
>> I have this mo/bo running Core 2 CPU 6600/ @2.40 GHz for some time now
>> and I would like to upgrade this CPU. I wonder weather there is someone
>> who
>> runs this m/b with much faster CPU. Any information on this topic will
>> be
>> greatly appreciated.
>>
>> jdr
>
> It's much more economical to just overclock your Q6600. For the small
> step in stock speed you'll get from an upgrade, it just isn't worth it.
>
> http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5B%20Deluxe
>
> You should be able to get at least 3GHz from it, by overclocking. You
> can look through the reviews here for the Q6600 and see what
> ordinary users managed to get from it, by overclocking.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017
>
> Paul

Thank you Paul,
Somehow, I'm not convinced that is exactly the same.
It depends what want to achieve. I was thinking about
replacing the present CPU (Core 2) with core 2 Quad.
In this case in want be only speed but in volume as well
playing quite important part.

But I take your point and see into it.

Jdr

From: Ian D on

> "McCorkindale" <mccorkindale(a)virgin.net> wrote in message
>> I have this mo/bo running Core 2 CPU 6600/ @2.40 GHz for some time now
>> and I would like to upgrade this CPU. I wonder weather there is someone
>> who
>> runs this m/b with much faster CPU. Any information on this topic will
>> be
>> greatly appreciated.
>>

> P.S.
> Does this mo/bo support (for example) Core 2 Quad 8300 ?

The P5B Dlx has a maximum FSB of 1066MHz, unless
overclocked. The Q8300 has an FSB of 1333MHz, so
it would be underclocked. The P5B is capable of 1333MHz
with the latest bios, but it would still be overclocked from its
original specs. Also, the Q8300 is a 2.5GHz CPU, while
the E6600 is 2.4GHz, so there's little gain. The extra two
cores would be of minimal benefit unless you're running
apps that can fully utilize multi CPUs.