From: addix on

Hello,

I have read your posts, and I tried, but doest work with my case. First
of all the ADH front panel drives me crazy... because I never meet this
situation

I have the the connectors:

- mic in
- mic vcc
- line r
- line l
- ear r
- ear l
- gnd

I just want to make the headset work... I dont care if its HD AUDIO or
AC 97. Any suggestion, how I could make that?

Thank you!

From: Paul on
addix wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have read your posts, and I tried, but doest work with my case. First
> of all the ADH front panel drives me crazy... because I never meet this
> situation
>
> I have the the connectors:
>
> - mic in
> - mic vcc
> - line r
> - line l
> - ear r
> - ear l
> - gnd
>
> I just want to make the headset work... I dont care if its HD AUDIO or
> AC 97. Any suggestion, how I could make that?
>
> Thank you!

The original thread is here.

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus/browse_frm/thread/9a7f1f8c7795f81d/17a5e5fe3a217610

And is the motherboard P5E, or is it some other motherboard ?
It would be nice to verify the actual motherboard you're
using, just to be sure.

On P5E, the ADH is a digital header. What you're looking for is
analog signals, for a microphone and headphone on the front of
the computer.

The AAFP connector on the Supreme FX II card, is where you want to be
connected. You will be connecting only five wires. Line_R and Line_L
have no place to connect to. Your front panel "Line" jack will not
work. Only "MIC" and "EAR" will work.

- mic in
- mic vcc
- line r (make no connection)
- line l (make no connection)
- ear r
- ear l
- gnd

AAFP should follow the standard pinout. The "missing pin 8", is
how you tell which pin is which. AAFP connector should have a total
of nine pins. You will be making connections to pin 1,3,5,9, and pin 2.

Pin Signal Pin Signal Name
- mic in 1 [Port 1] Left channel 2 Ground - gnd
- mic vcc 3 [Port 1] Right channel 4 PRESENCE# (Dongle present)
- ear r 5 [Port 2] Right channel 6 [Port 1] SENSE_RETURN
7 SENSE_SEND (Jack detection)
- ear l 9 [Port 2] Left channel 10 Port 2] SENSE_RETURN

In the BIOS, you can try setting the Front Panel Support Type to
AC97. I don't know exactly how that part works, or whether there is
a setting in the custom sound control panel in Windows for that selection.
Try the BIOS first.

HTH,
Paul
From: GMAN on
In article <addix.3z4oda(a)no.email.invalid>, addix <addix.3z4oda(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have read your posts, and I tried, but doest work with my case. First
>of all the ADH front panel drives me crazy... because I never meet this
>situation
>
>I have the the connectors:
>

>I just want to make the headset work... I dont care if its HD AUDIO or
>AC 97. Any suggestion, how I could make that?
>
>Thank you!

Set the bios for AC97 mode, then download the following and look at page 21

http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/A2928604-005.pdf

And study here too!!!!!!!!!

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-015851.htm

The way it works is if its wired correctly, when you plug in your headset or
microphone, it should disable the rear PC speakers, then when you unplug, the
rear speakers return to normal.

mic in = Pin 1

gnd = Pin 2

mic vcc = Pin 3

ear r = Pin 5

line r = Pin 6

ear l = Pin 9

line l = Pin 10

Also when done, reinstall the audio software for the SupremeFX II card either
off of the support CD or get the latest from Asus.

I have heard that someone that was having problems had to reinstall the
drivers after making some changes cause windows wouldnt detect some wiring
changes.

From: Paul on
GMAN wrote:
> In article <addix.3z4oda(a)no.email.invalid>, addix <addix.3z4oda(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have read your posts, and I tried, but doest work with my case. First
>> of all the ADH front panel drives me crazy... because I never meet this
>> situation
>>
>> I have the the connectors:
>>

>> I just want to make the headset work... I dont care if its HD AUDIO or
>> AC 97. Any suggestion, how I could make that?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>

> Set the bios for AC97 mode, then download the following and look at page 21
>
> http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/A2928604-005.pdf
>
> And study here too!!!!!!!!!
>
> http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-015851.htm
>
> The way it works is if its wired correctly, when you plug in your headset or
> microphone, it should disable the rear PC speakers, then when you unplug, the
> rear speakers return to normal.
>
> mic in = Pin 1
> gnd = Pin 2
> mic vcc = Pin 3
> ear r = Pin 5
> line r = Pin 6
> ear l = Pin 9
> line l = Pin 10
>
> Also when done, reinstall the audio software for the SupremeFX II card either
> off of the support CD or get the latest from Asus.
>
> I have heard that someone that was having problems had to reinstall the
> drivers after making some changes cause windows wouldnt detect some wiring
> changes.

Based on your answer, I can see my interpretation of the wire names
was incorrect. Normally, the cable should have "ret-r" and "ret-l",
which are the AC'97 return signals from ear-r and ear-l. So perhaps
they've changed those two signal names to something less meaningful.

I stand by my original answer, including wiring table. The wiring only
needs five wires in this case. I'll go though the connector cases,
but the OP can ignore what follows.

*******

There are three header connector configurations.

The original AC'97 header. This predates the introduction of
HDAudio. (The OP's Supreme FX II is an HDaudio device.)

http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/fpio_design_guideline.pdf (page 20)

AUD_MIC AUD_GND
AUD_MIC_BIAS AUD_VCC (+5V filtered)
AUD_FPOUT_R AUD_RET_R
HP_ON
AUD_FPOUT_L AUD_RET_L

That standard supports muting as follows. The CODEC sends a line level
signal to FPOUT_R and FPOUT_L. The signal enters the front panel connector. A
side contact switch, sends the audio signal back and it gets connected
to RET_R and RET_L. If no headphone plug is installed in the front jack,
then the signal flows back via RET_R and RET_L. RET_R and RET_L are hooked
directly to the computer rear green colored "Line_out" jack. The muting
function is thus, implemented with switches in the headphone hack on the
front of the computer. When you plug in headphones, the switches open,
killing the signal on the rear green Line_out jack. This allows the headphones
to mute the function of the front speakers, wired to the green Line_out
jack on the back of the computer.

When Intel did their HDaudio spec, not only did they invent a new pinout
for the 2x5 connector for HDAudio, they also redefined the AC'97 header.
(Which is, strictly speaking, a stupid thing to do.) That basically
makes it less compatible, with all possible applications of AC'97 that
case manufacturers may have chosen to use in the past.

First of all, one difference with the HDaudio codec chip, is it has more channels
on it. The "ret-r" and "ret-l" muting concept is no longer required. Muting
can be electronic, as sensed by the codec chip, rather than relying on switches
in the headphone jack. Thus, the basic "analog" signals of interest, look
like this. These signals exist on both the HDAudio pinout, and also
the HDAudio redefinition of AC'97. So you cannot go wrong, by hooking
analog wiring to these pins.

AUD_MIC AUD_GND
AUD_MIC_BIAS ---
AUD_FPOUT_R ---
---
AUD+FPOUT_L ---

This is the HDAudio pin definition. Intel renamed the MIC and Headphone (FPOUT)
signals, to "Port", to emphasize the fact that the connections are retaskable.
You can plug a headphone into a mic jack. Or a mic into a headphone jack. The
codec senses this, the driver software asks "did you plug in headphones?" in
a popup box. The user "retasks" the jack as required, by answering the
questions.

PORT1L (MIC) GND (AUD_GND)
PORT1R (MIC_BIAS) PRESENCE#
PORT2R (HEADPHONE_R) SENSE1_RETURN
SENSE_SEND
PORT2L (HEADPHONE_L) SENSE2_RETURN

The four remaining signals include PRESENCE#, a signal you ground, to indicate
you're providing SENSE info. The SENSE send and return signals, are part
of the mechanism the front (true HDAudio) panel jacks would provide.

Very few jacks have the isolated side contacts to connect to SENSE send and
return. HDAudio chips rely on impedance sensing, to detect the presence of
a new connection. The SENSE send and return, are tied into a resistor tree,
which in turn feeds an ADC converter at the CODEC. The CODEC gets a four
bit code from the ADC, which tells it which jacks isolated switch has closed
or opened. This complex mechanism is used, to reduce the number of pins
on the side of the Codec chip.

So, since HDaudio has redefined the RET_R and RET_L pins, you should
not be using them any more, for the redefined AC'97.

For an HDAudio motherboard which mentions support for AC'97, these are
the signals you can depend on. This is the picture you should find in
a motherboard manual. The reason the other pins are dashed, is because
a user should not wire all the AC'97 wires from the front panel, to the
old places they used to go. Only five wires are needed. You don't want
to upset the SENSE function, by wiring audio RET_R and RET_L to them.

AUD_MIC AUD_GND
AUD_MIC_BIAS ---
AUD_FPOUT_R ---
---
AUD+FPOUT_L ---

*******

So that leaves three header definitions.

Original AC'97 motherboard. Wire up seven wires total. Remove the two
blue jumpers <--> that ship from the factory, then wire it up. HPON
is not used. AUD_VCC is not used. That leaves seven wires. If you see
mention of jumpers in the user manual, and "ret_r" or the like,
then that tells you the motherboard is likely a pure, old style,
AC'97 setup.

AUD_MIC X X AUD_GND
AUD_MIC_BIAS X X AUD_VCC (+5V filtered)
AUD_FPOUT_R X<-->X AUD_RET_R
HP_ON X
AUD_FPOUT_L X<-->X AUD_RET_L

The OPs case is HDAudio. You could use a real HDAudio wire harness,
complete with isolated side contact switches, and wire all pins. Very few
computer cases support this. And even a computer case with "HDaudio"
stamped on the connector, may not in fact have anything wired to
SENSE/PRESENCE and so on. A real HDAudio would require nine wires,
but you're not likely to see that in a real computer case. HdAudio
motherboards do not have any blue jumpers factory installed, and
no jumpers are ever required.

PORT1L (MIC) GND (AUD_GND)
PORT1R (MIC_BIAS) PRESENCE#
PORT2R (HEADPHONE_R) SENSE1_RETURN
SENSE_SEND
PORT2L (HEADPHONE_L) SENSE2_RETURN

Most people will be using the AC'97 variant of HDAudio, which is this.
Wire up five wires. As I suggested to the OP in my answer. Since
an HDAudio codec has enough channels to not need a mute function,
there is no longer a need for return wires. (The Line_out on the
rear of the computer, has its own audio channels.) And they would
only conflict with the sense function in any case. Again, no need
to fit jumpers to this, if removing the front panel wiring later.

AUD_MIC AUD_GND
AUD_MIC_BIAS ---
AUD_FPOUT_R ---
---
AUD+FPOUT_L ---

HTH,
Paul
From: GMAN on
In article <h9or96$v13$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:
> [...]
>but you're not likely to see that in a real computer case. HdAudio
>motherboards do not have any blue jumpers factory installed, and
>no jumpers are ever required.
>
> PORT1L (MIC) GND (AUD_GND)
> PORT1R (MIC_BIAS) PRESENCE#
> PORT2R (HEADPHONE_R) SENSE1_RETURN
> SENSE_SEND
> PORT2L (HEADPHONE_L) SENSE2_RETURN
>
>Most people will be using the AC'97 variant of HDAudio, which is this.
>Wire up five wires. As I suggested to the OP in my answer. Since
>an HDAudio codec has enough channels to not need a mute function,
>there is no longer a need for return wires. (The Line_out on the
>rear of the computer, has its own audio channels.) And they would
>only conflict with the sense function in any case. Again, no need
>to fit jumpers to this, if removing the front panel wiring later.

If you do the last wiring diagram you list with 5 wires, the rear speakers
will not shut off when a headset is inserted in the front jack. If his case
has the extra return wires why would you suggest he not wire the in the proper
way?

If you notice, they kept the same pinouts for HD Audio as AC'97 to avoid
header issues on cases

So the pins i specified in my post still stands even if the OP is leaving HD
Audio on in the bios, and what i stated still stands that he should reinstall
the drivers after the changes.