From: Mick on
hi all

I'd like to swap out my aging 80GB PATA drive for a large SATA but I have no
idea what the size limits are for this mobo.
google hasen't been much help either
do any of you know (I bet Paul does)
BTW, yes i do know about the SATA2/VIA bug
TIA

Mick

From: andy on
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:24:41 +0100, "Mick" <noddy(a)toytown.com> wrote:

>hi all
>
>I'd like to swap out my aging 80GB PATA drive for a large SATA but I have no
>idea what the size limits are for this mobo.
>google hasen't been much help either
>do any of you know (I bet Paul does)
>BTW, yes i do know about the SATA2/VIA bug
>TIA
>
>Mick

Based on

Description P4V800D-X BIOS 0109
First release
File Size 419.36 (KBytes) 2005/10/05 update

the Bios should have 48-bit LBA capability.
From: Barry Watzman on
Depending on how you are going to interface the drive, any motherboard
limits may not matter.

Motherboard limits, where there are any, apply only to drives interfaced
through the motherboard IDE ports. This would apply if you used a
SATA-to-IDE adapter RIGHT ON THE DRIVE ITSELF, but it would not apply if
the drive was interfaced in any other way (Sata-to-USB, or with any sata
controller plugged into a card inserted into a motherboard expansion slot).

Motherboard limits do not apply, ever, to SCSI drives, USB drives, or
drives connected to a controller (of any kind ... SCSI, IDE or SATA)
plugged into a motherboard expansion slot (of course, any such cards may
have their own limits, but they are not imposed by the motherboard).