From: Sami on
Hello,

I for the last couple of days i keep receiving the following annoying
message generated by my Norton Anti virus 2006:

Details: Attempted Intrusion "MS ASN1 Integer Overflow TCP" against your
machine was detected and blocked.
Intruder: 86.62.217.124(3477).
Risk Level: High.
Protocol: TCP.
Attacked Port: 139

I would appreciate any help getting rid of this annoying message that keeps
popping out like every minute!

Thank you,

Sami

From: Steven L Umbach on
I don't know exactly what the mumbo jumbo details mean but basically a
computer from the internet IP address 86.62.217.124 is trying to access a
share on your computer which uses port 139 TCP and 445 TCP for such. There
should be some setting in Norton that allows to not bother you about such
messages in the future and if you can not find that try posting in one of
the Norton/Symantec forums or maybe someone else here will have the details.

I would also suggest that you disable file and print sharing on your
computer if you have no needs to share folders or printers with anyone by
going to Control Panel/network connections. Then go into the properties of
your network connection and uncheck file and print sharing. If you are using
cable or DSL I also strongly suggest that you get an "internet router" such
as one of the many offered by Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, and others at very
reasonable prices to be the first line of defense for your computer/network
and that also should make such messages go away as the internet router would
block those attempts in default configuration. --- Steve

From: Panda_man on
My reply is at the bottom of your message :

"Sami" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I for the last couple of days i keep receiving the following annoying
> message generated by my Norton Anti virus 2006:
>
> Details: Attempted Intrusion "MS ASN1 Integer Overflow TCP" against your
> machine was detected and blocked.
> Intruder: 86.62.217.124(3477).
> Risk Level: High.
> Protocol: TCP.
> Attacked Port: 139
>
> I would appreciate any help getting rid of this annoying message that keeps
> popping out like every minute!
>
> Thank you,
>
> Sami

Hello Sami !

This message is generated because a remote computer is trying to get into
your computer (which is bad as you can understand) .Fortunately Norton is
doing its job and has blocked that attack.Bravo ! :)

What you should do is to check in Norton settings really carefully if there
is a setting of turning off not the worm protection but the notification.

The other which is the better one, I think .If you have Windows XP only.

So , if you have Windows XP , turn OFF Norton's internet worm protection
from its settings.Use the integrated firewall in Windows XP .
Windows XP a firewall which is really good and is working automatically so
it will not bother you . Norton will only inform you at start up that
Norton's worm protection is off but you don't worry.
Learn how to enable Windows XP's firewall .Make sure you set it to "Don't
allow exceptions" !
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283673

Learn how to protect your computer :
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Do not hesitate to contact the Community again !

Panda_man
--
Prevention is always better than cure !

From: Marpole Joel <Marpole on
Good evening all,

I've been having the same challenge as 'Sami'. Symantec has suggested a
problem with 'an integer overflow in Microsoft's Abstract Syntx Notation1' as
in the following link:
http://www.symantec.com.br/avcenter/attack_sigs/s20409.html

I've taken the advice posted & it seems to work, however, is there a bug
with Microsoft's Abstract Syntx Notation1 that needs to be addressed? & how
does one let MS know about it?

Have a nice evening...

Marpole Joel

From: mike on
Hello all,
I have been having the same problem for the last 24 hours. However, when I
go to the web link you have posted, there is no fix for Windows XP SP2 Media
Center. The worm protection is doing its job and not allowing the intrusion
to go through. Any suggestions?

Pages: 1
Prev: side by side
Next: Guest Account setup