From: John W. Vinson on
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:54:04 -0700, Sideshowmom
<Sideshowmom(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you for your answers, they satisfied my curiosity just fine. No, I
>haven't been running append queries, just typing information into the forms
>and tables. I did try to import from an Excel copy of a table to see if I
>could get it to reset, once, but after the numbering jump. It seemed to
>happen when I switched from just using the tables to the newest set of forms
>I made, about 2 months ago. I've upgraded every chance there was and I did
>see A2003 on Amazon a bit ago. It's in my price-range, much more than 2007
>is!

You may at some point (perhaps after you get 2003) want to create a new, empty
table and run an Append query, appending all the fields EXCEPT the autonumber.
That will give you a clean new sequential autonumber series. This gets
snarkier if you have child tables linked to this one, which would need their
foreign keys updated as well.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Sideshowmom <Sideshowmom(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The numbering in one of my tables jumped from 374 to 37949458 one day in the
>course of normal useage and is now in negative numbers.

This sounds like the autonumber ID field New Values property was
changed to Random. Or the database was accidentally replicated or
dropped in Windows Briefcase which would also change the above New
Values property.

If you don't have any child records you can delete and recreate this
field to reset the New Values property to Increment. If you do have
child records when it becomes more of a pain.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: david on

"John W. Vinson" <jvinson(a)STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:58:04 -0700, Sideshowmom
> <Sideshowmom(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> you're getting probably come from running Append queries - Access seems to
> reserve enough autonumber "slots" for the worst case scenario in terms of
> the

Access effectively appends all records, then checks the unique indexes for
clashes and DRI.

It has to use the autonumber to base the index on before it can check the
index and do DRI.

This uses up autonumbers, and bloats the database to the extent of any
records which are rejected.

Doesn't sound like that happened here.

(david)

From: John W. Vinson on
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:47:15 +1100, "david" <david(a)nospam.au> wrote:

>Access effectively appends all records, then checks the unique indexes for
>clashes and DRI.
>
>It has to use the autonumber to base the index on before it can check the
>index and do DRI.
>
>This uses up autonumbers, and bloats the database to the extent of any
>records which are rejected.

Thanks David! I'd wondered how that worked.

Agree that it doesn't seem to be the cause of this particular problem unless
Sideshowmom is running some very strange queries.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Risse on

"Sideshowmom" <Sideshowmom(a)discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti
viestiss�:1C87158C-217F-4407-9EC6-C3270FEC0952(a)microsoft.com...