From: n o s p a m p l e a s e on
What free antivirus would you like to install?
From: William R. Walsh on
If those are the only two choices, Microsoft Security Essentials would
be it.

It seems to work extremely well on a 1.7GHz OptiPlex GX400.

I tried Avira once on a lesser machine, and while its performance was
fine, I did not like the forced advertising that showed up (once per
day as I remember). Also, their download server seemed to be
perpetually out of breath and bandwidth for the initial download and
subsequent updates.

William
From: powrwrap on
> On Jan 8, 4:28 pm, "William R. Walsh" <wm_wa...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> If those are the only two choices, Microsoft Security Essentials would
> be it.

I just made the switch from AVG Free to Microsoft Security Essentials.
So far, I'm pleased with it.

Rating of free anti-virus programs here:

http://lifehacker.com/5433229/microsoft-security-essentials-ranks-as-best+performing-free-antivirus

From: GrtArtiste on
On Jan 8, 5:28 pm, "William R. Walsh" <wm_wa...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> I tried Avira once on a lesser machine, and while its performance was
> fine, I did not like the forced advertising that showed up (once per
> day as I remember). Also, their download server seemed to be
> perpetually out of breath and bandwidth for the initial download and
> subsequent updates.

If their download server is occasionally slow...it's only an
indication of how popular Avira is. As for the ad **yawn** it
disappears with one click. Small price to pay if you can't be bothered
to Google on how to disable it.

GrtArtiste
From: Rick on
If you look at Avira's website you learn that the way to get quicker updates
is to upgrade to one of their their non-free versions.