From: William R. Walsh on
Hello all...

(Where is Stew Lewis when you need him? -- and yes, that's a
rhetorical question, mostly)

There's a cheap Dell Dimension B110 around that's bothering me to
purchase it. (Very cheap, since it has no installed hard disk.) I do
have something in mind for which it could be used, so it wouldn't be
an impulse or anything like that. But it looks to me that it is
basically a clone of the Dimension 3000/OptiPlex 170L per the Dell
product information.

It also doesn't appear to have any SATA connectors onboard.

So...what was the story with the DimB110? Was Dell just trying to use
up a few leftover parts?

William
From: JayB on
hi William,
i didnt think the B110 was similar to the dim3000 opti170L at all.
i have a few of all of those laying around.

if you want the old computers, i have over 20 of them in my basement
that i need to get rid of.
we are in the process of renovations and all most go.
i just trashed all the clones after removing vital parts, so i have a
bunch of parts too.

let me know if you or anyone else here is interested.
I'm in Long Island, NY.

to contact me, remove the B in my email address above.

From: Ben Myers on
William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hello all...
>
> (Where is Stew Lewis when you need him? -- and yes, that's a
> rhetorical question, mostly)
>
> There's a cheap Dell Dimension B110 around that's bothering me to
> purchase it. (Very cheap, since it has no installed hard disk.) I do
> have something in mind for which it could be used, so it wouldn't be
> an impulse or anything like that. But it looks to me that it is
> basically a clone of the Dimension 3000/OptiPlex 170L per the Dell
> product information.
>
> It also doesn't appear to have any SATA connectors onboard.
>
> So...what was the story with the DimB110? Was Dell just trying to use
> up a few leftover parts?
>
> William

William,

I have had Dimension 1100 or B110 (same product, two names) systems come
drifting through here in the past. You are right that they are more or
less Dimension 3000 clones with 865GV chipset, no AGP and no SATA. Not
sure why Dell bothered to change the product name, unless it was to use
some of the last Socket 478 CPUs, Celeron D with 533MHz FSB or Pentium
D. And probably Celeron D, given the overall stripped down nature of
the motherboard and the budget price. CNet reviewed the B110 in 2006,
so it is a contemporary of the early Dell BTX systems.

Personally, I would not pay more than $20 for one, even with a hard
drive, which would have limited (probably 80GB) capacity by modern
standards... Ben Myers
From: William R. Walsh on
I wish that I was geographically closer to where you are. (As it is,
I'm in central Illinois.) If I were closer, I'd come to there and go
over what you were planning to toss out--and probably take most of it!

In anything that you have and are planning to get rid of, do you have
an OptiPlex 170L with a factory installed floppy drive? I need the
drive, cable, any bezels/trim and mounting hardware, which I haven't
been able to find anywhere.

I'd *gladly* pay $ for the part, your time, and cover all of the
shipping costs if you do.

William
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> And probably Celeron D, given the overall stripped down nature
> of the motherboard and the budget price.

Yep, it's a Celeron D, clocked at 2.53GHz. 512MB RAM, DVD/CD-RW. No
hard drive, removed for "security" reasons and I couldn't talk it out
of them. Not yet, anyway.

> CNet reviewed the B110 in 2006, so it is a contemporary of
> the early Dell BTX systems.

It identifies itself by some kind of Dell "series" number like the
Dim9100, E520, and friends do. I've never understood why Dell did
that. I guess it saved someone five extra minutes entering all the
text strings for various system models in the BIOS.

> Personally, I would not pay more than $20 for one, even with a
> hard drive, which would have limited (probably 80GB) capacity
> by modern standards... Ben Myers

The owner wants ten bucks for the system unit and maybe a keyboard if
it can be found. I don't think he's tired enough of looking at it yet.
It would need a SATA controller for the application I have in mind, so
if I try to get it, I'm going to hold out and see if it gets cheaper.
Cheaper as in "tired of looking at this thing, come and get it". Or
"what's that sitting out by the curb?" when I drive by.

I prefer small boot drives anyway...that way I'm discouraged from
doing things that I shouldn't, like putting all my files on the boot
drive.

William (curbside discount shopper extraordinaire)