From: siljaline on
FredW wrote:

> http://techblog.avira.com/2009/11/19/avira-switches-to-new-update-system/en/
>
> Due to the fast growing amount of malware out there in the wild our
> virus definition files grow fast as well. We monitored the situation
> with our Updates very closely. We realise that users of the free Avira
> AntiVir Personal had issues fetching the Updates in time recently and
> did come up with a few ideas how we could solve the problem and to
> better satisfy the needs of our users.
>
> Two of the results are getting realized today: First, we switch from our
> current virus definition files (called iVDF) to a new format called
> nVDF. iVDF consists of 4 VDF files, while nVDF uses at least 32 files –
> we need to transfer less data for updating our virus definitions
> effectively in the future.

Greets, Fred - I shall pass this along so others may benefit from this information.

Silj

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

From: siljaline on
FredW wrote:
> I passed this message after finding it in grc.security.software.
> See also:
> http://www.avira.com/en/company_news/nvdf_update.html
> (almost the same message)

I had omitted to re-subscribe to that GRC Group after last re-install.
Noted and posted in:
<http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23365724-Avira-switches-to-new-update-system>

From: Wile E. Coyote on
FredW wrote:
>We monitored the situation
> with our Updates very closely. We realise that users of the free Avira
> AntiVir Personal had issues fetching the Updates in time recently and
> did come up with a few ideas how we could solve the problem and to
> better satisfy the needs of our users.

Thought you claimed there were no issues, Fred? According to what I read
at the Avira website it was just more than people who used the free
version too. One guy said he dumped his paid for version and tried the
free version to see if it improved the situation for him but it didn't.
From: Wile E. Coyote on
FredW wrote:

> Complaining, complaining, complaining, ............
>
> Did you read anything in the links?
> Did you try the changed update?

Yes and yes. Last update was nice and fast but that doesn't negate the
fact you tried to argue with me and claim there was no such issue. Now
Avira has come out and addressed the issue so are admitting there was an
issue with getting updates so that makes me right and you wrong.
From: Shadow on
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 17:42:04 +0100, FredW <fredw(a)blackholespam.net>
wrote:

>http://techblog.avira.com/2009/11/19/avira-switches-to-new-update-system/en/
>
>Due to the fast growing amount of malware out there in the wild our
>virus definition files grow fast as well. We monitored the situation
>with our Updates very closely. We realise that users of the free Avira
>AntiVir Personal had issues fetching the Updates in time recently and
>did come up with a few ideas how we could solve the problem and to
>better satisfy the needs of our users.
>
>Two of the results are getting realized today: First, we switch from our
>current virus definition files (called iVDF) to a new format called
>nVDF. iVDF consists of 4 VDF files, while nVDF uses at least 32 files �
>we need to transfer less data for updating our virus definitions
>effectively in the future.
I have had no more problems at all with Avira updates. So the
new method is working fine. Update check takes at most one minute vs
missing whole days with old update.
From Brazil.
[]'s
 |  Next  |  Last