From: RichA on
This is what happens when the state owns and runs media
corporations.

amateur photographer online:

Top Gear photographer story: BBC speaks out (update)

Thursday 3rd December 2009
Chris Cheesman
rights watch

The BBC has moved to distance itself from comments made by a freelance
Top Gear photographer who blasted the attitude of the Metropolitan
Police towards photographers.

Earlier this week freelance stills photographer Justin Leighton - who
shoots behind-the-scenes for the Top Gear programme and magazine -
said that taking photographs in London often raises suspicion, even in
areas where permission has already been given to shoot.

Leighton, who works for BBC Worldwide, condemned the 'nightmare'
attitude of the Met's officers, and in particular, Police Community
Support Officers (PCSOs).

The photographer blamed the behaviour of London's police for
restricting his shoots to locations away from the capital.

However, a BBC spokeswoman told Amateur Photographer: 'The BBC does
not share these views.'

The Corporation declined to comment further.

We understand that the makers of Top Gear may be reluctant to further
inflame photographers' relations with the Met.

Leighton's comments chime with many photographers, both amateur and
professional, who continue to complain about the attitude of police.

Last year, the escalating issue moved Amateur Photographer magazine to
launch its nationwide campaign to defend photographers' rights.

On Sunday BBC photographer Jeff Overs told the Andrew Marr Show he was
stopped while taking photos on London's South Bank amid fears he was
planning a reconnaissance operation for a terrorist attack.

Today, the anti-terror watchdog, Lord Carlile again criticised police
use of anti-terrorism powers to stop photographers.

In a front page story in The Independent Carlile said: 'The police
have to be very careful about stopping people who are taking what I
would call leisure photographs, and indeed professional
photographers.'

He added: 'The fact that someone is taking photographs is not prima
facie a good reason for stop and search and is very far from raising
suspicion.

'It is a matter of concern and the police will know that they have to
look at this very carefully.'

Earlier this year The Independent contacted AP for details of the
magazine's ongoing campaign to fight for the rights of photographers.
From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 11:33:43 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>This is what happens when the state owns and runs media
>corporations.

To what destination is the BBC towing the line?

Will they toe it when they get it there?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Irwell on
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:21:49 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 11:33:43 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>This is what happens when the state owns and runs media
>>corporations.
>>
> To what destination is the BBC towing the line?
>
> Will they toe it when they get it there?

Actually they are guilty of kow towing.
From: Paul Heslop on
Irwell wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:21:49 -0500, tony cooper wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 11:33:43 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>This is what happens when the state owns and runs media
> >>corporations.
> >>
> > To what destination is the BBC towing the line?
> >
> > Will they toe it when they get it there?
>
> Actually they are guilty of kow towing.

they're probably just moving it towards Murdoch so he can grab it and
pull them down into the hell known as Sky TV.

--
Paul (we break easy)
Stop and Look
From: Peter Twydell on
In message
<177e6123-b9f1-45f4-8720-50334d5a31bc(a)b2g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> writes
>This is what happens when the state owns and runs media
>corporations.

The BBC is not owned by the state.

The BBC is a 'public corporation': neither a private corporation nor a
government department. The high ideal is that it is held in trust for
the public of the UK by the BBC Trust (the successor to the Board of
Governors following the renewal of the BBC Charter by the government in
2006).

Practically every government is convinced that the BBC is against it,
which probably shows that in general it gets things about right.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!