From: michael adams on

"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 17:30:55 -0000, "michael adams"
> <mjadams25(a)onetel.net.uk> wrote:
>
> >Over there you sit through 20 minutes of commmercials per hour,
>
> No we don't. The most recent figures are 15:48 minutes on broadcast
> and 14.55 on cable of non-fresh program. That's not all commercials,
> either. That includes the re-cap portion (where what went on last
> week is shown if applicable), news spots, and teaser material. The
> commercials must be limited to 12 minutes per hour.
>
> Those of with cable access can watch the show straight through on BBC
> America.
>
> > for the privilige of
> >being allowed to watch the sort of low budget LCD dross the likes of Murdoch hopes
> >he can get away with. And which Murdoch knows won't upset the applecart or alienate
> >any of the big-money, who really pull the strings. While you just sit there with glazed
> >eyes and mouth agape, lapping it all up, while dribbling all over your pizza.
>
> It takes some chutzpa for someone from the UK to talk about the low
> budget dross we are offered. Half the shows in the UK are about
> sending in a 27 member team of decorators to redesign the airing
> cupboards of some squat in Luton. Or, some show about the fattest
> people or the biggest breasts in England.

> Or, how to buy tat cheaply and auction it off for profit.

That's antiques and collectibles though. And so can be informative
for people hunting round flea markets and the like.

> You do offer some good shows, though.
>
> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

But even if some UK "lifestyle and celebrity" TV is dross (relatively speaking)
some channels in the USA must be importing it, for you to be getting the chance
of watching it. No ? As I assume BBC America would concentrate on the better
stuff maybe including Bargain Hunt. Equivalent US "lifestyle and celebrity" TV
is presumably so bad, that nobody would even bother trying to import it into
the UK to start with. Even if they were paid to do so. We only get the occasional
highlights, Gerry Springer ran for a few series ISTR.

The only way most people have of knowing just how bad most US TV actually is, is
from reports by visitors to the US.

michael adams

From: Ray Fischer on
RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>This is what happens when the state owns and runs media
>corporations.

What happens when you rightard conspiracy idiots want to whine is that
you make up facts to justify your lunacy.

>Top Gear photographer story: BBC speaks out (update)

As others have pointed out, the BBC is not government-owned.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Twibil on
On Dec 4, 9:51 am, tony cooper <tony_cooper...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> It takes some chutzpa for someone from the UK to talk about the low
> budget dross we are offered.

Heh.

A couple of years ago I was contacted by a friend in the UK who'd just
seen a BBC "documentary" which reported that -among other things-
American school books didn't make *any* mention of the contributions
of Chinese cowboys to American culture. My friend wanted to know if
this were true, and, if so, whether it was evidence of American
prejudice towards Asians.

I told him that it's true that there is no mention of Chinese cowboys
in American history books, but that's because so far as anyone knows
there were no Chinese cowboys. (Or if there were, nobody ever recorded
that fact.)

Quite a few black cowboys, yup, common knowledge; and lots of Mexican
cowboys ("Vaqueros") in the southern states, but few if any Chinese to
be found anywhere.

I've wondered ever since then where that BBC producer got his "facts"
and why he never thought to simply check them out.
From: tony cooper on
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 20:35:15 -0000, "michael adams"
<mjadams25(a)onetel.net.uk> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 18:12:01 -0000, "michael adams"
>> <mjadams25(a)onetel.net.uk> wrote:
>>

>> >"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>glazed

>> >That's antiques and collectibles though. And so can be informative
>> >for people hunting round flea markets and the like.

>> >But even if some UK "lifestyle and celebrity" TV is dross (relatively speaking)
>> >some channels in the USA must be importing it, for you to be getting the chance
>> >of watching it. No ? As I assume BBC America would concentrate on the better
>> >stuff maybe including Bargain Hunt.
>>
>> I'm referring to what is available to me on BBC America, a channel
>> that I subscribe to. The "better stuff" includes what is listed at
>> http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/292/index.jsp How desperate for
>> employment one must be to spend their working day filming "Britain's
>> Worst Teeth".
>>
>> Also available on BBC America are the shows hosted by David Dickenson,
>> that smarmy, oily, throw-back to 1970s clothing and hair style.
>
>There's nothing wrong with the "Duke" ! And "smarmy" people don't sport
>genuine Northern accents or bang on in their autobiographies about
>the values they picked up at their grannie's knee. He was adopted
>BTW and is intersting in the sense he was already about 50 years old
>when he was "discovered" for TV.
>
>He used to sell top class Dormeil cashmere cloth for a living, straight from
>the mill and knows his stuff sartorially speaking as well.

He may have sold cashmere, but he's a flannel-mouth.

>> Watching BBC-A one wonders how the English can drive when the roads
>> must be clogged with vans of television crews and overall-clad workers
>> about to tart up the inside and outside of every British residence.
>> The crew comes back to film a show on good housekeeping tricks. You
>> people need to watch an instructional video on using a hoover?
>
>House renovation and decorating programmes are very popular with
>married women as women are more home centred and they give them
>ideas. They're less popular with their husbands as it's the husbands
>who are going to have to bring about the transformation.

What's the difference, though, between pandering to bored housewives
with shows about decorating schemes and pandering to bored housewives
with Jerry Springer slug-fests? Both are cheap entertainment without
any redeeming social value.

Not that that's wrong. Television is an entertainment medium. It's
designed to pander to different tastes. What is wrong is thinking
that your country's cheap pap is better than our country's cheap pap.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: michael adams on

> The problem with checking facts when you are going to develop a
> television show is that reality might spoil the concept of an
> entertaining concept.

"Deadwood" an otherwise perfect TV series IMO, is somewhat spoiled
by the fact that the producers haven't actually included a town
dentist or a tooth whitening salon so as to account for all the
characters having such flawless teeth. In the repeated episode shown
this week, Canary (Calamity) Jane took her first ever proper bath. But
it was Robin Seagart's flawless dentition in an earlier episode which
first brought this anomaly to my attention. As a serious actress I
very much doubt she'd have any objection to being made up to have gappy
or yellow looking teeth.

michael adams