From: Greg Hansen on
theauthor wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 06:33:00 -0500, Greg Hansen <greg> wrote:
>> Here's a case in point. Another is that if you consider what a
>> approaching and receding trains "look like", the approaching train would
>> appear shorter because of the difference in signal propagation times
>>from the front of the train and the back, and a receding train would
>> longer.
>
> No, you got that the wrong way round. Differential signal propagation
> delays cause the approaching train to look longer, and the receding
> train to look shorter.

Thanks. I guess I got a sign error there in my thought experiment.
From: Eric on
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 00:58:59 -0500, Tom Roberts
<tjroberts137(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Danny Milano wrote:
>> [... quote from Einstein]
>> From this Eric Baird built an entire theoretical structure
>> about GR without SR ...
>
>Which is completely and utterly wrong. GR inherently and intrinsically
>includes SR:
> A) as the local limit of any manifold at any point
> B) as the unique solution to the field equation for a world without
> any contents and the topology of R^4.

Basing the core physical relationships for how matter interacts with
other matter by exchanging EM signals ... by presupposing a universe
in which matter doesn't exist //as a point of principle// ... is a bit
of a stretch. It's a neat trick if you can get away with it, but
there's no guarantee that the results are definitely going to be real
physics.

The "empty universe" argument is a bit like asking, what sound does a
tree make when it falls in the forest ... if there's nobody there to
hear it ... and also no tree ... and also no forest.

And from the perspective of "acoustic metric" physics, the "local
limit" argument is like asking what sound a tree makes when it falls
in a region that's too small to actually contain a tree in the first
place.

Both approaches have the //mathematical// advantage that they allow a
mathematician to quickly generate a single unambiguous set of
equations (those of special relativity).
But if we wanted to be able to say that those equations were
mathematically //proven// to be the equations that describe the
interactions of real matter, we'd need to do a bit more work than
this. We'd need to demonstrate that the form of the equations doesn't
change when we introduce real matter into our "empty universe" model,
or when we allow the possibility that real moving matter might be
associated with local spacetime distortions.

If you try that exercise, you should find that when we "switch off"
the extreme idealisations of SR, the equations seem to change -- the
exercise suggests that the particular form of special relativity might
be specific to a set of conditions that depend on the absence of real
matter in the region being modeled.

>> Baird said:
>> Almost all of the problems and potential problems that
>> we've identified here with Einstein general theory seem
>> to be consequences of the theory's incorporation of
>> special relativity, and its assumption that the
>> relationships of SR have to apply as a limiting case of
>> the theory.
>
>This is complete nonsense. Without SR there would be no GR; there COULD
>be no GR.

Wolfgang Rindler::
:: "General relativity before special relativity: An unconventional
:: overview of relativity theory"
:: American Journal of Physics, Volume 62, Issue 10, 887-893 (1994)

:: ABSTRACT: It is suggested how Bernhard Riemann might have
:: discovered General Relativity soon after 1854 and how today's
:: undergraduate students can be given a glimpse of this before,
:: or independently of, their study of Special Relativity. At the
:: same time, the whole field of relativity theory is briefly
:: surveyed from the space-time point of view.

Rindler finishes his paper by pointing out that once we'd put together
the basics of a general theory based on spacetime curvature (without
assuming or knowing anything about special relativity), we'd then
naturally be able to get Einstein's special theory as a flat-spacetime
limit of it.
Which is correct.

But if such a theory //had// been proposed in the C19th, it's not
obvious that the C19th mindset would have decided that it was a good
idea to try to develop an offshoot theory that didn't use the new
curved-spacetime geometry.

:EXTRAPOLATING FORWARD IN RINDLER'S ALTERNATIVE TIMELINE:

In real life, the guys that attempted to construct curved-space models
in the C19th were eventually crushed by their collective inability to
get the damned things to work (because they didn't realise that they
needed curvature to be applied in four dimensions rather then three).
Their failure left open the problem of how to reconcile lightspeed
constancy with inertial mechanics, which ended up being addressed
instead as a flat-spacetime problem by Poincare, Lorentz and Einstein.
But if the curved-spacetime solution had arrived //first//, it would
have caught the first wave of "curvature" enthusiasts like William
Kingdon Clifford (1845-1879, the "Clifford algebra" guy):

: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Kingdon_Clifford

, who was already arguing that ==all== physics was curvature.

The curved-spacetime model would have suggested velocity-dependent
gravitomagnetic effects between moving gravitational sources,
Clifford's approach would then have suggested that we try to apply the
same rules to particles (considered as "micro-sources") and the
resulting local lightdragging prediction would have chimed nicely with
experimental verifications in the 1850's that moving bodies dragged
light.

The C19th aether theorists could then have gotten onboard and helped
thrash out the geometrical details of a relativistic acoustic metric,
and the model could then have snowballed, sucking in C19th experts
from a range of disciplines. The operating characteristics of acoustic
metrics would probably have been more familiar to aether theorists
than to "modern" physicists, and the new model would have fixed the
arbitrariness of C19th dragged-aether models by giving them a
geometrically-derivable foundation. The new model could also have been
claimed by the surviving emission-theory guys as a success for
//their// subject, since it'd have finally reconciled Newtonian optics
with wave theory.

Finally, when the "Ultraviolet Catastrophe" came along,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_catastrophe
and people were forced to consider quantum effects, the QM guys,
desperate for some sort of physical model to attach their statistics
to, would probably have realised that some of the "craziness" of QM
seemed to correspond suspiciously well to the analogous "craziness"
that you get when you try to project the contents of an acoustic
metric onto a simpler surface.

So we'd have had a convergence of the C19th geometers, the C19th
aether theorists, the C19th emission theory guys and the other C19th
Newtonian guys, and we'd have had the pioneers of quantum mechanics
also coming onboard a few years later.

Now, set against that lumbering juggernaut, I'm not sure how any poor
soul subsequently discovering special relativity would have had a
snowball's chance in hell of getting SR accepted as anything other
than an interesting partial group-theory "echo" of what would have
been considered to be the "proper" physics.

====

Note that although it probably seems inconceivable to a modern
physicist that a general theory could work without SR, in the
alternative scenario it would probably appear at least as
inconceivable that a general theory could work satisfactorily //with//
SR. Since moving to SR-based physics would break the alternative
timeline's default compatibility between GR and QM, that timeline's
physicists might take this as proof positive that SR-based physics
wasn't workable. Since they'd already have c-constancy licked as a
local effect, it wouldn't have been immediately obvious why they
should further complicate their system by introducing SR.

How could we convince that timeline's physicists that they'd totally
misunderstood the basic nature of physics? Perhaps we could suggest
that they study the properties of both versions of physics, work out
where the two sets of physical predictions diverge, and then carry out
some comparative tests that would (hopefully) tell them that we were
right and they were wrong. If they hadn't already tried these tests,
we could point to this as evidence that their science was sloppy, and
their physics probably inferior to ours.

But unfortunately, they'd be able to point out that =we= hadn't
conducted a proper comparative study of the two paths either, and that
=we= hadn't conducted tests designed to distinguish between them.

They'd also have the advantage over us that they'd be able to say that
their versions of QM and GR had worked well together almost from the
beginning, whereas our "SR-based" GR still wasn't compatible with
quantum theory after ninety-something years.

===

Note also that the split between the two alternative histories doesn't
depend on any physical experimental data: It seems to be a sheer
historical accident that we ended up on this theoretical path rather
than the other one. It's a small step from gravitational shifts
(predicted by John Michell way back in the //Eighteenth// Century,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Michell
1784) to gravitational time dilation (and curved spacetime).
If anything, it seems rather odd that GR //didn't// appear until the
C20th, given the brilliant guys who were trying to get spatial
curvature to work in the C19th. If they'd just experimented with
applying curvature in one extra dimension, they might have hit the
jackpot.

So although we're currently convinced of the inevitable correctness of
the SR-based approach, that degree of conviction doesn't seem to carry
any deeper significance. If history had played out slightly
differently, we might now be just as deeply convinced that the
SR-based approach was obviously wrong, without any of our experiments
having turned out differently.

Human nature's a funny thing.

>While there are indeed POTENTIAL problems with GR, at present there are
>NONE related to SR.

Actually, most of them do seem to relate to SR (at least, on the list
that I drew up).

Once you've looked at how the properties of a general theory based on
SR compare to those of a general theory //not// based on SR, it's
easier to see which aspects of current theory are consequences of the
SR-based approach, and which aren't.

But in order to see the dependencies between SR and various aspects
of current GR, you have to actually do that exercise (or know the
results of someone else doing it).

>The experimental support of SR in essentially all non-gravitational
>contexts is solid and unassailable (except in certain ways by experts
>blazing a trail toward quantum gravity -- look up "doubly special
>relativity", but be prepared for advanced math). SR is one of the
>best-tested theories we have, and within its domain of applicability
>there is not a single reliable and reproducible experiment which
>contradicts its predictions. SR and GR are also inflexible
>theoretically: attempting to modify SR and/or GR is like being "a little
>bit pregnant" -- there are no simple modifications possible (the experts
>know this, and take it into account in pursuing QG). Cranks like Baird
>(and many others around here) simply do not have a clue about how to do
>physics, or what physics really is.
>
>> What do you think? I can't find other researchers working
>> on GR without SR. How many relativists or even anti-relativists
>> attempt this?
>
>It does not matter what various people think, and it does not matter how
>many people attempt "this" -- GR inherently and intrinsically includes
>SR.

We agree that the current default implementation of a general theory
(Einstein's) explicitly reduces to the physics of special relativity.

Where we seem to disagree is about whether an alternative
implementation of the general principle of relativity -- an
alternative general theory of relativity -- would necessarily have to
reduce to the physics of SR.

Most GR people seem to genuinely believe that the argument of "SR as a
geometrical limit to GR" means that any variation on GR has to reduce
to the //physics// of SR as a geometrical necessity ... but Clifford's
idea of "all physics as curvature" provides a logical counterexample
-- a conceivable system of physics in which a flat-spacetime limit
doesn't represent a physical solution.

One counterexample is sufficient to destroy a mathematical proof, so
the "reduction to SR" argument isn't a general one until we can find
some way of proving that a Cliffordian system of physics can't work.

(And by "proving that it can't work", I mean more than just "proving
that it's not compatible with special relativity". Of course a
curvature-based model isn't compatible with special relativity --
that's what makes the idea important)

>The structure of a theory is utterly independent of what people
>might "think".

In the case of a new or unfamiliar theory, a certain amount of
thinking is often necessary in order to explore what the structure of
that new system ought to be. Sometimes you arrive at a structure by
successive approximation or by the progressive elimination of
alternatives, with the theory's "logical derivation" only being
produced afterwards for public consumption.

To someone who is "taught" a theory, the final polished version of the
theory will tend to appear as an unavoidable result of a set of
definitions and starting assumptions that lead inevitably to it, and
to nothing else.
To someone else whose interest is the construction of theories, they
may look at the same theory and see not an inevitable path from known
principles to a single outcome, but a branching range of alternative
half-possibilities that the theorist has managed to rule out by using
particular wordings or syntax.
Most of those combinations of alternative meanings won't work
together, but sometimes there'll be enough ambiguity in a general
principle to allow you to branch off in a different direction, or
sometimes when you break a theory into its component parts, you'll
find that by adding or removing a part, the rest of the pieces can be
fitted together in a different way.

So yes, for a given specified theory, the structure should (ideally)
be completely defined and non-negotiable.

But for a ==class== of theory there can sometimes be suggestions of
possible alternative implementations. Most of them probably won't
work, or will be considered "bad" in context because they conflict
with some feature that a theory requires, but occasionally you might
find enough leeway in the choices that were originally available to
the author to allow a different choice and a different structure.

>As I have said before: it is amazing how persistent and prolific some
>cranks are, without much understanding of the basic physics underlying
>what they attempt to write about. Eric Baird is one of them.
>
>Tom Roberts

I find that people who've spent a lot of time in the educational
system tend to be taught to expect only one solution to a given
problem ("first-answer syndrome"). Once they've been taught the
"standard" answer, "A", they tend to fixate on it and assume that it's
the //only// answer, and if you come up with a more subtle solution,
"B", they'll tend to tell you that you're dumb for not recognising the
obvious correctness of the first answer, "A", which everybody who
knows anything about the subject knows is The Right Answer.

You can try to explain to them that yes, you //do// understand "A",
but you're more interested in this other, more obscure thing, "B" ...
specifically //because// it doesn't correspond to what's in the books
.... and they'll reply, no, no, the correct answer is "A", so there
can't be another answer "B", by definition ... you clearly haven't
understood answer "A", let me repeat the arguments for "A" once more,
so that you understand them ...

=Erk= (Eric Baird) http://www.youtube.com/user/ErkDemon
: " You are not thinking. You are merely being logical. "
: -- Niels Bohr
From: Eric on
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 23:34:26 -0700 (PDT), "hhc314(a)yahoo.com"
<hhc314(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Jul 12, 10:51�pm, Danny Milano <milanoda...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Albert Einstein said in Scientific American April 1950:
>>
>> "I do not see any reason to assume that.. the principle
>> of general relativity is restricted to gravitation and
>> that the rest of physics can be dealt with separately
>> on the basis of special relativity... I do not think
>> that such an attitude, although historically
>> understandable, can be objectively justified. ... In
>> other words, I do not believe that it is justifiable to
>> ask: what would physics look like without gravitation?"

>Danny, I don't know where you get your information, but it appears
>seriously flawed.
>
>First of all, Albert Einstein was already on or near his deathbed in
>1950 (He was born in 1879 and died in 1955 after being hospitalilized
>for for a number of years.) At the time of his death, he was 76. Do
>you really believe that while undergoing medication and lying in bed
>in severe pain, he could even remember the basis of his theories
>publishes at least 40 years previously.

Harry, it sounds to me as if you don't like the direction of the
quote, can't think of any way to counter it, and are therefore
inventing a scenario in which Einstein was supposedly soft in the head
at the time that he wrote the article ... because you can't come up
with a proper counter-argument.

That's not very nice behaviour.

====

Einstein's April 1950 article for Scientific American was a review
piece on the history and development of relativity theory (and its
foundations), leading up to his (then) current view of the subject.
It was for a special issue of Scientific American, with Einstein on
the cover.

It's been republished in the "Ideas and Opinions" compilation
(pp.341-356), where it takes up about 14-15 pages, and for those with
an aversion to visiting libraries or buying books, it's also available
online, on the Encarta website:

: On the Generalized Theory of Gravitation
: (An account of the newly published extension of the general theory
: of relativity against its historical and philosophical background)

http://encarta.msn.com/sidebar_761599216/einstein_on_gravitation.html

This article was presumably written on a commercial basis for
Scientific American, making SciAm the commissioning body and copyright
holder, so it's not available on //my// website, but Encarta seem to
have gotten permission from SciAm to use the entire article on theirs.
The full paragraph in question (here lifted from Encarta) says:

:: " The first observation is that the principle of general relativity
:: imposes exceedingly strong restrictions on the theoretical
:: possibilities. Without this restrictive principle it would be
:: practically impossible for anybody to hit on the gravitational
:: equations, not even by using the principle of special relativity,
:: even though one knows that the field has to be described by a
:: symmetrical tensor. No amount of collection of facts could lead
:: to these equations unless the principle of general relativity
:: were used. This is the reason why all attempts to obtain a deeper
:: knowledge of the foundations of physics seem doomed to me unless
:: the basic concepts are in accordance with general relativity from
:: the beginning. This situation makes it difficult to use our
:: empirical knowledge, however comprehensive, in looking for the
:: fundamental concepts and relations of physics, and it forces us
:: to apply free speculation to a much greater extent than is
:: presently assumed by most physicists. I do not see any reason to
:: assume that the heuristic significance of the principle of general
:: relativity is restricted to gravitation and that the rest of
:: physics can be dealt with separately on the basis of special
:: relativity, with the hope that later on the whole may be fitted
:: consistently into a general relativistic scheme. I do not think
:: that such an attitude, although historically understandable, can
:: be objectively justified. The comparative smallness of what we
:: know today as gravitational effects is not a conclusive reason for
:: ignoring the principle of general relativity in theoretical
:: investigations of a fundamental character. In other words, I do
:: not believe that it is justifiable to ask: What would physics look
:: like without gravitation? "

I think that most people who've read the full piece would agree that
it doesn't come across as something written by a feeble-minded
individual with a faltering recollection of special relativity. Okay,
so a lot of people didn't agree that he was on the right track with
his unified field theory, but if you ask those people how far they've
gotten since with //their// UFT's ... well ...

Einstein continued publishing scientific papers and other articles all
the way up to 1955. These included the fifth appendix to his "popular"
relativity book (1952) and a second appendix to the republished
Princeton Lectures, "The Meaning of Relativity", in about 1950
(revised 1954). He's supposed to have been offered the Presidency of
Israel in 1952, and been smart enough to turn them down.

Dismissing Einstein's 1950 writing on the grounds of age is a bit low,
I think. Certainly some people sink into a rut as they age and lose
the ability to take in new ideas, but the article shows Einstein doing
the opposite, exploring new possibilities even if they seemed to be at
odds with one of the theories that had made him famous.

Einstein wrote in 1927 that the thing that impressed him about Isaac
Newton was Newton's ability to see the problems with his own models
better than his supposed critics could. I think Einstein was probably
striving for the same thing: to be the guy who understood the
potential problems in his own theories better than anyone else.

It's a good discipline to have.

=Erk= (Eric Baird) http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/181743934
: " What, then, impels us to devise theory after theory? Why do we
: devise theories at all? The answer to the latter question is
: simply: Because we enjoy 'comprehending,' i.e., reducing phenomena
: by the process of logic to something already known or (apparently)
: evident. New theories are first of all necessary when we encounter
: new facts which cannot be 'explained' by existing theories. But
: this motivation for setting up new theories is, so to speak,
: trivial, imposed from without. There is another, more subtle motive
: of no less importance. This is the striving toward unification and
: simplification of the premises of the theory as a whole (i.e.,
: Mach's principle of economy, interpreted as a logical principle). "
: -- "On the Generalized Theory of Gravitation", Albert Einstein, 1950
From: Androcles on

<Eric Baird> wrote in message
| On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 00:58:59 -0500, Tom Roberts
| <tjroberts137(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
|
| >Danny Milano wrote:
| >> [... quote from Einstein]
| >> From this Eric Baird built an entire theoretical structure
| >> about GR without SR ...
| >
| >Which is completely and utterly wrong. GR inherently and intrinsically
| >includes SR:
| > A) as the local limit of any manifold at any point
| > B) as the unique solution to the field equation for a world without
| > any contents and the topology of R^4.
|
| Basing the core physical relationships for how matter interacts with
| other matter by exchanging EM signals ... by presupposing a universe
| in which matter doesn't exist //as a point of principle// ... is a bit
| of a stretch. It's a neat trick if you can get away with it, but
| there's no guarantee that the results are definitely going to be real
| physics.

You haven't adressed his point, Eric. The idiot Roberts is reciting
the cretin Roberts.
http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/SR.GIF
When one sheep says "baa" they all do, including the original.

From: Androcles on

<Eric Baird> wrote in message
| On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 23:34:26 -0700 (PDT), "hhc314(a)yahoo.com"
| <hhc314(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
|
| >On Jul 12, 10:51 pm, Danny Milano <milanoda...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
| >> Albert Einstein said in Scientific American April 1950:
| >>
| >> "I do not see any reason to assume that.. the principle
| >> of general relativity is restricted to gravitation and
| >> that the rest of physics can be dealt with separately
| >> on the basis of special relativity... I do not think
| >> that such an attitude, although historically
| >> understandable, can be objectively justified. ... In
| >> other words, I do not believe that it is justifiable to
| >> ask: what would physics look like without gravitation?"
|

| >Danny, I don't know where you get your information, but it appears
| >seriously flawed.
| >
| >First of all, Albert Einstein was already on or near his deathbed in
| >1950 (He was born in 1879 and died in 1955 after being hospitalilized
| >for for a number of years.) At the time of his death, he was 76. Do
| >you really believe that while undergoing medication and lying in bed
| >in severe pain, he could even remember the basis of his theories
| >publishes at least 40 years previously.
|
| Harry, it sounds to me as if you don't like the direction of the
| quote, can't think of any way to counter it, and are therefore
| inventing a scenario in which Einstein was supposedly soft in the head
| at the time that he wrote the article ... because you can't come up
| with a proper counter-argument.

"Harry" is the same cretin that claimed the shuttle turns west
over Buffalo, New York on its way to Florida. If that isn't
"seriously flawed" nothing is.