From: Sam Wormley on
Eric Baird wrote:

> If you try that exercise, you should find that when we "switch off"
> the extreme idealisations of SR, the equations seem to change -- the
> exercise suggests that the particular form of special relativity might
> be specific to a set of conditions that depend on the absence of real
> matter in the region being modeled.

Rubbish!
From: Eric on
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 23:34:26 -0700 (PDT), "hhc314(a)yahoo.com"
<hhc314(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Danny, I don't know where you get your information, but it appears
>seriously flawed.
>
>First of all, Albert Einstein was already on or near his deathbed in
>1950 (He was born in 1879 and died in 1955 after being hospitalilized
>for for a number of years.) At the time of his death, he was 76. Do
>you really believe that while undergoing medication and lying in bed
>in severe pain, he could even remember the basis of his theories
>publishes at least 40 years previously.

Okay, I've turned up Einstein's medical case history
Turns out that Einstein's medical problem was an abdominal aortic
aneurism. His symptoms were attacks of upper abdominal pain lasting
2-3 days every three or four months, caused by inflammation of the
gall-bladder due to pressure from the aneurism.
He was diagnosed in ~1950, and had an operation.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/436253

: Historical Perspectives in Surgery
: Famous Patients, Famous Operations, 2002 -
: Part 3: The Case of the Scientist with a Pulsating Mass
: from Medscape Surgery
: Posted 06/14/2002
: Albert B. Lowenfels, MD
:
: ...
:
: Following this palliative operation, Einstein lived for 5 more
: productive years with only minor symptoms. In 1952, he was offered
: and declined the presidency of Israel. He published his last
: scientific paper in 1954, in the Annals of Mathematics. During
: this period he had occasional back pain and pain in his right
: upper quadrant, labeled as "chronic cholecystitis."
:
: ...
:
: On Tuesday, April 12, 1955, Einstein developed abdominal pain,
: which became more severe on the following day. Although Einstein
: must have realized that the aneurysm had finally burst, he
: initially refused hospitalization.
:
: ...
:
: Five years after surgery, the patient collapsed at home and was
: rehospitalized. Although he had intermittent bouts of generalized
: abdominal pain requiring morphine for relief, he had pain-free
: intervals when he appeared to be quite comfortable. The pain
: became localized to the right upper quadrant, where a palpable
: mass was noted. Five days after admission, he developed labored
: breathing and expired at 1:15 AM on April 18, 1955.

So, although you describe Einstein being "already on or near his
deathbed" in 1950, this page indicates that after spending three weeks
recovering from his operation (in ~1950?), Einstein seems to have been
"out and about" for the next ~five years until his aneurism finally
burst. There's no mention in this patient history of him visiting a
hospital again during those five years.

Rather than dying in 1955
> after being hospitalized for a number of years.
, Einstein's terminal hospitalisation only seems to have lasted five
_days_.

If you have an information-source that disagrees with this account,
could you let us know what it is?

Cheers,
=Erk= (Eric Baird)
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=0955706807
From: Androcles on

<Eric Baird> wrote in message
> [...]
| : became localized to the right upper quadrant, where a palpable
| : mass was noted. Five days after admission, he developed labored
| : breathing and expired at 1:15 AM on April 18, 1955.
|
| So, although you describe Einstein being "already on or near his
| deathbed" in 1950, this page indicates that after spending three weeks
| recovering from his operation (in ~1950?), Einstein seems to have been
| "out and about" for the next ~five years until his aneurism finally
| burst. There's no mention in this patient history of him visiting a
| hospital again during those five years.
|
| Rather than dying in 1955
| > after being hospitalized for a number of years.
| , Einstein's terminal hospitalisation only seems to have lasted five
| _days_.
|

| If you have an information-source that disagrees with this account,

A burst aorta and he lived 5 more days? That seems rather a long time.
Since I have an aneurysm (thoracic) with a stent in place I know about the
pain.
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/images/aneurysm_aortic.jpg
He would have been heavily sedated with morphine in those 5 days.