From: Daave on
antioch wrote:
> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
>> Antioch wrote:
>>> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message

>>> CLIPPED

>>> Hi Daave
>>> I also think the HDD is gone
>>> I am waiting a reply from the Maxtor forum for advice on that -
>>> could not find anything on the Seagate/Maxtor site - well nothing
>>> that indicated what I needed/could use for a scan etc.
>>> I have the Windows XP CD+SP3+all updates on disc since SP3+backup
>>> which I keep updated as and when the computer is running.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the Xpost to hardware.
>>
>> YW. Chances are that SeaTools for DOS will be your ticket:
>>
>> http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD
>>
> Hi Daave
> I have at last been able to run the diag for Windows and the DOS one
> - both 'passed' all checks/scans - no repair work done.
> I have also managed to get the computer up and running after - that
> was yesterday and reboot after reboot was OK. But today, the
> wretched thing will not reboot - in fact I cannot even boot with the
> XP disc loaded and during the Rec. Console performance, I can no
> longer perform a CHKDSK - KEEP GETTING 'PATH FILE NOT
> RECOGNISED/VALID' - in fact, nothing entered into the command line
> works where it has done before. So am no nearer finding out if the HDD
> is the problem or it is
> something else. For the moment I am not in mind to do a complete
> reinstall of Windows - if the HDD is the problem, then I am still
> stuck where I am now. I still have had no reply from my post in the
> Maxtor/Seagate forums.
> I have also been trying to find what is meant by 'A devise enclosed in
> parenthesis[brackets] has been disabled in the corresponding type
> menu', which appears in the Bios Setup Utility boot devise priority. I
> have read at least 30 Google links and nowhere does it explain what
> it means - it does appear though that this info is particular to ASUS
> MBs. But I can find no way to get rid of the brackets. Perhaps this
> is why I can no longer boot up.
>
> I have two columns -
>
> 1st Boot Device [PM-ATPI iHAP322 9]
> 2nd Boot Device [1st Floppy Drive]
> 3rd Boot Device [3M-Maxtor 6L160MO]
>

> Thanks for the link - it directed me to both pieces of diag software.

[Please start with my last paragraph!]

Assuming your disk is healthy (and that is a safe assumption if running
SeaTools on the bootable floppy you made gave it a clean bill of
health), you may very well need to do what Jose advised. Don't feel that
you wasted your time. Best practice dictates that you check the health
of your drive first. You now have the knowledge it is healthy. Of
course, if nothing works, then you will need to perform a Clean Install.
Hopefully, either chkdsk or a repair install will work. You could also
perform what is popularly known as a manual system restore (going back
to the time before you experienced these BSODs):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

When you do the above or the chkdsk and require the Recovery Console, it
is imperative you configure your BIOS to boot off the CD rather than the
usual hard drive. I see in one of your replies to Jose that you were
having problems with the Recovery Console. Is it possible you has
installed it on your hard drive and were using *that* version of it? Is
it possible you didn't boot off the CD? If you have a genuine Windows XP
installation CD, it comes with RC. If there is something wrong with the
CD, you can certainly make your own bootable RC disk (Jose told you
about that already).

I suspect you are doing it incorrectly. There are two ways to perform
chkdsk: One way is using the function from your XP installation
currently on your hard drive. The other way is to us RC from the correct
bootable CD (and making sure you are indeed booting off the CD!). You
said you tried the command Jose gave you (chkdsk C: /R) and it didn't
work. This indicates you did not boot off the RC CD. Keep in mind that
if your present installation CD doesn't work, the bootable RC CD you can
create should work.

Speaking of...

In your one post, you stated:

"I have an OEM WIN XP DISC."

What does that mean? What is the make and model of this PC? Please
describe this CD *in detail*!

I just re-read your post. The BIOS setup message is disturbing to say
the least! Check all your connections; perhaps something came loose.
Since this has been cross-posted to the hardware newsgroup, perhaps
someone else can chime in with useful information. Otherwise, post to an
ASUS motherboard Web forum. A Clean Install won't help if you have
motherboard issues! Maybe all you did was inadvertantly temporarily
disable one of your bootable devices.

From: antioch on
Hi Daave
Many thanks - I will read your reply with care and come back to you.

Antioch

From: antioch on

"antioch" <antioch(a)home.com> wrote in message
> Hi Daave
> Many thanks - I will read your reply with care and come back to you.
>
> Antioch

I forgot to add that I have a genuine Microsoft Windows XP SP2 disc. with
key code.
It is not a bootable OEM from the computer builder.
I have been able to get into R.C. and have performed recovery.

At startup I have an immediate choice after tapping F8 to boot from CD -
this has been working OK hence my ability to do chkdsk - but alas not at the
moment.

Antioch

From: Daave on
antioch wrote:
> "antioch" <antioch(a)home.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Daave
>> Many thanks - I will read your reply with care and come back to you.
>>
>> Antioch
>>
> I forgot to add that I have a genuine Microsoft Windows XP SP2 disc.
> with key code.
> It is not a bootable OEM from the computer builder.
> I have been able to get into R.C. and have performed recovery.
>
> At startup I have an immediate choice after tapping F8 to boot from
> CD - this has been working OK hence my ability to do chkdsk - but
> alas not at the moment.

Are you sure you don't mean F1 or F2? Or Esc? Or Del? Those are the keys
most commonly used to enter Setup (to configure your BIOS to boot from
the CD). More info:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

F8 is used to enter the Windows menu for options such as Safe Mode and
Last Known Good Configuration.

Certain PCs allow you to choose a boot device without needing to enter
Setup. For instance, many Dells allow you to press F12 to get such a
menu.

From: antioch on

> "antioch" <antioch(a)home.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Daave
>> Many thanks - I will read your reply with care and come back to you.
>>
>> Antioch
>>
> I forgot to add that I have a genuine Microsoft Windows XP SP2 disc. with
> key code.
> It is not a bootable OEM from the computer builder.
> I have been able to get into R.C. and have performed recovery.
>
> At startup I have an immediate choice after tapping F8 to boot from CD -
> this has been working OK hence my ability to do chkdsk - but alas not at
> the moment.
>
> Antioch

Another quick update - I did that old trick - unplug - left it off for 30
mins - came back - switched on and Windows has fired up in double quick
time.
But I know from previously, if I switch off[not unplug] it will not start.
So while I have it running I will look through event viewer etc and see if a
chkdsk works.
I forgot to add the XP disc, it is not the retail type i.e. it is tied to my
current computer which I had built to my specs 5 years ago. The difference
between OEM and Retail genuine XP disc has been a regular topic in this
newsgroup - the main difference being with an OEM I cannot install it on
another computer - well not legally - but it is possible :-)
So for the moment, I am going back to re-read the post from Jose and follow
the instructions there.
I see you have not yet taken that leap of faith to Windows Live Mail and
still on the OE6.
I am using WLM - I miss OE 6 but now I am used to WLM I will not be going
back.
It is a big improvement to WM.

Antioch