From: Daave on
(cross-posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)

antioch wrote:
> Win XP SP3 - currently updated. Win Live Mail, IE8.
> No recently ADDED HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE - seems important.
>
> Sorry re the length of this thread - it could have been longer. But
> I have tried to keep it short and with the latest situation -
> For the last 24 hours I have had a series of BSODs - not all the same.
> The 2 today have been Unmountable_Boot_Volume and having got through
> that, more recently the Kernal_Stack_Inpage errors.
>
> This morning I could not start/boot the computer at first, but
> eventually, more I think by luck than judgment, I got it to start and
> all seemed fine. I went out and came back some hours later, having
> left the computer on, only to find a BSOD with C0000218 Unknown hard
> error. Did a restart and got the computer up and running.
> Did a restart all OK.
> Switched off then on and got a BSOD, the Kernal - well at least it
> was anew one.
>
> Following troubleshooting in MS help and this newsgroup, I have tried
> various methods and got the computer running again.
> First tried the recovery console method but the press 'R' did not
> activate and respond - had not previously either - last known etc did
> not work previously either.
> Did a restart - let it run all the way through - got to the little
> blue train running through the tunnel - spent a couple of minutes at
> least watching this, then got BSOD Unmountable again.
> Restarted again, F8 and got the select boot device - inserted my OEM
> XP disc - selected the hard drive hit enter and at last the chkdsk
> started - it went through all phases, then it suddenly disappeared
> and the computer went through the normal start sequence - I allowed
> it to start with NORMAL XP - up came the welcome screen and all OK -
> and so far I have been using the computer without any particular side
> effects.
> Since then I have done another dskchk from start/run - went through
> all three phases until it got to 'verifying usn journal' - seemed to
> hang there for a while then the window disappeared.
> I have also run a scan for errors on C: via My Comp/Prop/Tools[is
> this the same as chkdsk] - result was 'unable to complete' in the
> third phase - no reason given - backed up all personal files, email,
> favourites, address book etc.
>
> Currently I am scanning for any 'nasties' and I have a laptop with
> which to keep in contact with the newsgroups.
>
> I will of course not know if I still have a BSOD problem until I
> switch off later tonight. A restart was again OK.
>
> Reading other posts/threads/forums etc I have a feeling that the HD
> may have a problem, seeing that I have had a variety of BSODs in the
> last 24 hours. So I am collating the best advice for a clean install.

I'm sure you need to replace the hard drive.

You can verify this by running the appropriate utility depending on the
make and model of the drive. You would need a working PC to build a
bootable floppy or CD.

From: Antioch on

"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
> (cross-posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
>
> antioch wrote:
>> Win XP SP3 - currently updated. Win Live Mail, IE8.
>> No recently ADDED HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE - seems important.
>>
>> Sorry re the length of this thread - it could have been longer. But
>> I have tried to keep it short and with the latest situation -
>> For the last 24 hours I have had a series of BSODs - not all the same.
>> The 2 today have been Unmountable_Boot_Volume and having got through
>> that, more recently the Kernel_Stack_Inpage errors.

CLIPPED

>> Reading other posts/threads/forums etc I have a feeling that the HD
>> may have a problem, seeing that I have had a variety of BSODs in the
>> last 24 hours. So I am collating the best advice for a clean install.
>
> I'm sure you need to replace the hard drive.
>
> You can verify this by running the appropriate utility depending on the
> make and model of the drive. You would need a working PC to build a
> bootable floppy or CD.

Hi Daave
I also think the HDD is gone
I am waiting a reply from the Maxtor forum for advice on that - could not
find anything on the Seagate/Maxtor site - well nothing that indicated what
I needed/could use for a scan etc.
I have the Windows XP CD+SP3+all updates on disc since SP3+backup which I
keep updated as and when the computer is running.

Thanks for the Xpost to hardware.

Antioch

From: Daave on
Antioch wrote:
> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
>> (cross-posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
>>
>> antioch wrote:
>>> Win XP SP3 - currently updated. Win Live Mail, IE8.
>>> No recently ADDED HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE - seems important.
>>>
>>> Sorry re the length of this thread - it could have been longer. But
>>> I have tried to keep it short and with the latest situation -
>>> For the last 24 hours I have had a series of BSODs - not all the
>>> same. The 2 today have been Unmountable_Boot_Volume and having got
>>> through that, more recently the Kernel_Stack_Inpage errors.
>
> CLIPPED
>
>>> Reading other posts/threads/forums etc I have a feeling that the HD
>>> may have a problem, seeing that I have had a variety of BSODs in the
>>> last 24 hours. So I am collating the best advice for a clean
>>> install.
>>
>> I'm sure you need to replace the hard drive.
>>
>> You can verify this by running the appropriate utility depending on
>> the make and model of the drive. You would need a working PC to
>> build a bootable floppy or CD.
>>
> Hi Daave
> I also think the HDD is gone
> I am waiting a reply from the Maxtor forum for advice on that - could
> not find anything on the Seagate/Maxtor site - well nothing that
> indicated what I needed/could use for a scan etc.
> I have the Windows XP CD+SP3+all updates on disc since SP3+backup
> which I keep updated as and when the computer is running.
>
> Thanks for the Xpost to hardware.

YW. Chances are that SeaTools for DOS will be your ticket:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

From: antioch on

> Antioch wrote:
>> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
>>> (cross-posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)

>> CLIPPED

>>> I'm sure you need to replace the hard drive.
>>>
>>> You can verify this by running the appropriate utility depending on
>>> the make and model of the drive. You would need a working PC to
>>> build a bootable floppy or CD.
>>>
>> Hi Daave
>> I also think the HDD is gone
>> I am waiting a reply from the Maxtor forum for advice on that - could
>> not find anything on the Seagate/Maxtor site - well nothing that
>> indicated what I needed/could use for a scan etc.
>> I have the Windows XP CD+SP3+all updates on disc since SP3+backup
>> which I keep updated as and when the computer is running.
>>
>> Thanks for the Xpost to hardware.
>
> YW. Chances are that SeaTools for DOS will be your ticket:
>
> http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

I will see what they offer when I get reply - thanks for the link.

Rgds
Antioch

From: antioch on
"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
> Antioch wrote:
>> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
>>> (cross-posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)

>> CLIPPED

>>> I'm sure you need to replace the hard drive.
>>>
>>> You can verify this by running the appropriate utility depending on
>>> the make and model of the drive. You would need a working PC to
>>> build a bootable floppy or CD.
>>>
>> Hi Daave
>> I also think the HDD is gone
>> I am waiting a reply from the Maxtor forum for advice on that - could
>> not find anything on the Seagate/Maxtor site - well nothing that
>> indicated what I needed/could use for a scan etc.
>> I have the Windows XP CD+SP3+all updates on disc since SP3+backup
>> which I keep updated as and when the computer is running.
>>
>> Thanks for the Xpost to hardware.
>
> YW. Chances are that SeaTools for DOS will be your ticket:
>
> http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Hi Daave
I have at last been able to run the diag for Windows and the DOS one - both
'passed' all checks/scans - no repair work done.
I have also managed to get the computer up and running after - that was
yesterday and reboot after reboot was OK. But today, the wretched thing
will not reboot - in fact I cannot even boot with the XP disc loaded and
during the Rec. Console performance, I can no longer perform a CHKDSK - KEEP
GETTING 'PATH FILE NOT RECOGNISED/VALID' - in fact, nothing entered into the
command line works where it has done before.
So am no nearer finding out if the HDD is the problem or it is something
else. For the moment I am not in mind to do a complete reinstall of
Windows - if the HDD is the problem, then I am still stuck where I am now.
I still have had no reply from my post in the Maxtor/Seagate forums.

I have also been trying to find what is meant by 'A devise enclosed in
parenthesis[brackets] has been disabled in the corresponding type menu',
which appears in the Bios Setup Utility boot devise priority. I have read
at least 30 Google links and nowhere does it explain what it means - it does
appear though that this info is particular to ASUS MBs. But I can find no
way to get rid of the brackets. Perhaps this is why I can no longer boot
up.

I have two columns -

1st Boot Device [PM-ATPI iHAP322 9]
2nd Boot Device [1st Floppy Drive]
3rd Boot Device [3M-Maxtor 6L160MO]

Thanks for the link - it directed me to both pieces of diag software.

Antioch