From: Daave on
antioch wrote:

> Another quick update - I did that old trick - unplug - left it off
> for 30 mins - came back - switched on and Windows has fired up in
> double quick time.
> But I know from previously, if I switch off[not unplug] it will not
> start.

What are your power settings set for? Do you use Hiberbnation or System
Standby? Which method do you use to "switch off?"

From: antioch on

"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
> antioch wrote:
>> "antioch" <antioch(a)home.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Daave
>>> Many thanks - I will read your reply with care and come back to you.
>>>
>>> Antioch
>>>
>> I forgot to add that I have a genuine Microsoft Windows XP SP2 disc.
>> with key code.
>> It is not a bootable OEM from the computer builder.
>> I have been able to get into R.C. and have performed recovery.
>>
>> At startup I have an immediate choice after tapping F8 to boot from
>> CD - this has been working OK hence my ability to do chkdsk - but
>> alas not at the moment.
>
> Are you sure you don't mean F1 or F2? Or Esc? Or Del? Those are the keys
> most commonly used to enter Setup (to configure your BIOS to boot from the
> CD). More info:
>
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
>
> F8 is used to enter the Windows menu for options such as Safe Mode and
> Last Known Good Configuration.
>
> Certain PCs allow you to choose a boot device without needing to enter
> Setup. For instance, many Dells allow you to press F12 to get such a menu.

At the first screen - called set up I think - I have at the bottom of screen
DEL TO RUN setup - TAB to enter BIOS.
If I ignore that screen and go to the next I get the IDE scan - after that I
get a window with F8 at the bottom - when I press that I get the Advanced
Options menu which have not always allowed me a choice.
However, if I press the F8 key at the IDE scan, I get a small coloured
window with PLEASE SELECT BOOT DEVICE - 1ST FLOPPY -then PM-ATAPI[CD DRIVE]
and lastly 3M MAXTOR[HDD].
I think this is a sort of quick boot. You press arrows to select then enter
or ESC to use defaults.

This the order in which they are in the Bios.

Hope I have explained this clearly.

Antioch

From: antioch on
> antioch wrote:
>
>> Another quick update - I did that old trick - unplug - left it off
>> for 30 mins - came back - switched on and Windows has fired up in
>> double quick time.
>> But I know from previously, if I switch off[not unplug] it will not
>> start.
>
> What are your power settings set for? Do you use Hiberbnation or System
> Standby? Which method do you use to "switch off?"

I do not know what the power settings are - are they in Bios - if so will
get them later.
Never use Hibernation or standby - I exit via Start/Turn off.
I will be away from the computer for a while.

Antioch

From: Daave on
antioch wrote:
> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
>> antioch wrote:
>>> "antioch" <antioch(a)home.com> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> I forgot to add that I have a genuine Microsoft Windows XP SP2 disc.
>>> with key code.
>>> It is not a bootable OEM from the computer builder.
>>> I have been able to get into R.C. and have performed recovery.
>>>
>>> At startup I have an immediate choice after tapping F8 to boot from
>>> CD - this has been working OK hence my ability to do chkdsk - but
>>> alas not at the moment.
>>
>> Are you sure you don't mean F1 or F2? Or Esc? Or Del? Those are the
>> keys most commonly used to enter Setup (to configure your BIOS to
>> boot from the CD). More info:
>>
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
>>
>> F8 is used to enter the Windows menu for options such as Safe Mode
>> and Last Known Good Configuration.
>>
>> Certain PCs allow you to choose a boot device without needing to
>> enter Setup. For instance, many Dells allow you to press F12 to get
>> such a menu.
> At the first screen - called set up I think - I have at the bottom of
> screen DEL TO RUN setup - TAB to enter BIOS.
> If I ignore that screen and go to the next I get the IDE scan - after
> that I get a window with F8 at the bottom - when I press that I get
> the Advanced Options menu which have not always allowed me a choice.
> However, if I press the F8 key at the IDE scan, I get a small coloured
> window with PLEASE SELECT BOOT DEVICE - 1ST FLOPPY -then PM-ATAPI[CD
> DRIVE] and lastly 3M MAXTOR[HDD].
> I think this is a sort of quick boot. You press arrows to select
> then enter or ESC to use defaults.
>
> This the order in which they are in the Bios.
>
> Hope I have explained this clearly.

If your CD drive already has a higher priority than your hard drive in
the BIOS settings for boot order, then there is no need to press
*anything* when you boot up. That is, if you turn the PC on, does it
boot off the CD? If you are running off the XP installation CD, you
should see this screen:

http://www.pcxmedics.com/blog/images/clean-install-xp-1.jpg

Do you?

What is the make and model of your motherboard?

From: antioch on

> antioch wrote:
>> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message

>>> Are you sure you don't mean F1 or F2? Or Esc? Or Del? Those are the
>>> keys most commonly used to enter Setup (to configure your BIOS to
>>> boot from the CD). More info:
>>>
>>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
>>>
>>> F8 is used to enter the Windows menu for options such as Safe Mode
>>> and Last Known Good Configuration.
>>>
>>> Certain PCs allow you to choose a boot device without needing to
>>> enter Setup. For instance, many Dells allow you to press F12 to get
>>> such a menu.
>> At the first screen - called set up I think - I have at the bottom of
>> screen DEL TO RUN setup - TAB to enter BIOS.
>> If I ignore that screen and go to the next I get the IDE scan - after
>> that I get a window with F8 at the bottom - when I press that I get
>> the Advanced Options menu which have not always allowed me a choice.
>> However, if I press the F8 key at the IDE scan, I get a small coloured
>> window with PLEASE SELECT BOOT DEVICE - 1ST FLOPPY -then PM-ATAPI[CD
>> DRIVE] and lastly 3M MAXTOR[HDD].
>> I think this is a sort of quick boot. You press arrows to select
>> then enter or ESC to use defaults.
>>
>> This the order in which they are in the Bios.
>>
>> Hope I have explained this clearly.
>
> If your CD drive already has a higher priority than your hard drive in the
> BIOS settings for boot order, then there is no need to press *anything*
> when you boot up. That is, if you turn the PC on, does it boot off the CD?
> If you are running off the XP installation CD, you should see this screen:
>
> http://www.pcxmedics.com/blog/images/clean-install-xp-1.jpg
>
> Do you?
>
> What is the make and model of your motherboard?

Boot order in Bios is floppy, HDD then CD Rom. The order in that small
coloured window which I get with F8 at the IDE scan is in no particular
order - its just there to select.
I have put the ISO disc in and started the boot - I get no 'press any key to
boot from CD.....'
But if I pick CD from that coloured window, I do get that prompt.
I also get the same result with the WIN XP disc in the computer. The only
variance is at the end of the Rec. Con activity - as to what I can/cannot
enter in the command line.
So I would conclude that of course the CD does not have a higher priority
boot in the bios - as I believe they are the default settings as I mentioned
above.

Oh, nearly forgot - yes I can also use DEL at the first screen to enter
setup - then I go to BOOT in the menu. But I do not like going to places
where I have no idea what I am doing - bit like the registry.
To me it appears that it matters not what disc is in there - they booth
require CD boot to be selected and both behave erratically in the Rec. Con.
Hope that answers all your question.
MB is an Asus P5LD2.

FOR INFO OF JOSE - sorry to include here in my reply to Daave -

I have tried to run command prompt chkdsk C: /r - it will not accept it with
the ISO disc/nor the XP disc. - only on CHKDSK will it run..

"Remove the CD and type 'exit' to leave the RC and restart the
computer." You can only eject the CD after you exit, not before.

"If you still have a BSOD................." When I get it, it is now only
the 'unmountable' - none as yet of the others.

"Download BlueScreenView from here:" Thanks - a very handy gadget.

The XP disc I have is for install, repair, recovery amongst other things - I
have used it many times to get small files for
repair/replace/missing/corrupt.

As I have said before, I cannot enter the chkdsk C: /r - it matters not
which disc I use. Then why is that not an option in the help command
lines????
But just to confirm I get this at the command line C:\ > - what I can type
in there is I am afraid hit and miss, and if something does take then more
often than not I get 'the path or file specified is not valid'. Perhaps I
am not typing the entry properly but I have tried many ways.
The last Rec Con I ran I was able to do CHKDSK [not with the 'r'] - refused
it.
At the end I got 'the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable
errors.
I entered exit - rebooted and up fired windows - but then this has been
happening for no logical reason. So I do not dare to Turn Off because I
know it will not come back again on restart.

Sorry re the delay with covering all your points/questions and advice - it
has been much appreciated. I hope I have done them to the letter - sorry if
the results have been a negative.

Many thanks you you both - your time and patience is appreciated - I am NOT
looking forward to going back to those archaic/cranky web interface
discussion groups.

Rgds
Antioch