From: Martin Katz on
I already tried renaming tcpip6.sys. That broke both Outlook and Norton AV
(strangely, the OS didn't complain). I have checked that the file is the
correct version, etc. Ideally, I want to use IPv6/Teredo for some other
things (but I can give them up).

I have the Eset firewall locked tightly against IPv6-ICMP (as they call it).
I had forgotten to add a separate rule to deny ICMPv6 addressed to localhost
(::1). The last crash didn't leave me a dump file. If it crashes again, I
will definitely use the dump to try and figure out what is happening. Now, on
to memory tests!

Martin
--
Ph.D. in Computer Science.
Senior R&D software engineer

From: Allan on

"Martin Katz" <MartinKatz(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for suggestons. This is a new installation of Windows XP sp3
> (slipstreamed) in a newly formatted partition. The drivers are all up to
> date. I have already disabled (external) TCPIP6 in the registry.
> Apparently,
> this does not disable tunnelling ICMPv6 (even though IP6 tunnelling is
> disabled).
>
> With Norton firewall, I blocked ICMPv6. Unfortunately, Norton AV kept
> deleting inappropriate files, so I switched firewall programs and the
> problem
> returned.
So install Norton Firewall without the AV if that will help solve the
problem.

> I will have to look into how to tell Outlook to use IPv4. I have already
> scanned for malware with four different tools. I will do thorough memory
> testing (I havn't done that for a while).
>
> The only other thing I can think of is that I have Visual Studio
> installed,
> and that might replace part of the TCP/IP stack.
Visual Studio should have nothing to do with the ipv6 stack.

--
Allan