From: Martin Katz on
This problem occurs in both Windows XP SP2 and Windows XP SP3. It can happen
several times per day and might be due to a malformed packet attack. It seems
to be related to ICMPv6 packets.

The error is DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x00000001 (0x0000002C, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xF546F712)
*** tcpip6.sys - Address F546F712 base at F544C000, Datestamp 4892582a

The version of tcpip6.sys is 5.1.2600.5512 (installed by SP3).

I cannot turn off IPv6 entirely, because Outlook 2007 uses it.
Does anybody have a suggestion about a workaround or getting a patch?

--
Ph.D. in Computer Science.
Senior R&D software engineer
From: nass on

"Martin Katz" wrote:

> This problem occurs in both Windows XP SP2 and Windows XP SP3. It can happen
> several times per day and might be due to a malformed packet attack. It seems
> to be related to ICMPv6 packets.
>
> The error is DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
>
> Technical information:
> *** STOP: 0x00000001 (0x0000002C, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xF546F712)
> *** tcpip6.sys - Address F546F712 base at F544C000, Datestamp 4892582a
>
> The version of tcpip6.sys is 5.1.2600.5512 (installed by SP3).
>
> I cannot turn off IPv6 entirely, because Outlook 2007 uses it.
> Does anybody have a suggestion about a workaround or getting a patch?
>
> --
> Ph.D. in Computer Science.
> Senior R&D software engineer

Before going to indeepth troubleshooting try the easy way first!
Update the Motherboard driver specially the NIC to the latest stable driver
and Run A thorough scan for malware and Viruses.
Test your RAM for Faulty Bits or bad Bits in memory and see if that will
eleminate those options from the list.
Read the minidumps that can shed some light on the causer, my hunch goes for
this: ntkrpamp.exe which mean bad image.
Disbale the TCPIP6 in the registry:
[-]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents =
DWORD 0xFF

Or uninstall the Protocol by running this command:
ipv6 uninstall
Or this:
netsh interface ipv6 uninstall
Then Set the Outlook to use the TCPIPV4.

How to disable certain Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) components
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852/en-us
Information about IPv6
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/ipv6/ipv6faq.mspx

HTH,
nass
---
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

From: Martin Katz on
Thank you for suggestons. This is a new installation of Windows XP sp3
(slipstreamed) in a newly formatted partition. The drivers are all up to
date. I have already disabled (external) TCPIP6 in the registry. Apparently,
this does not disable tunnelling ICMPv6 (even though IP6 tunnelling is
disabled).

With Norton firewall, I blocked ICMPv6. Unfortunately, Norton AV kept
deleting inappropriate files, so I switched firewall programs and the problem
returned.

I will have to look into how to tell Outlook to use IPv4. I have already
scanned for malware with four different tools. I will do thorough memory
testing (I havn't done that for a while).

The only other thing I can think of is that I have Visual Studio installed,
and that might replace part of the TCP/IP stack.

Martin

From: Martin Katz on
I have taken most of those steps. This is a newly installed copy of Windows
XP SP3 with all drivers up to date. It is unlikely to be a memory problem,
because the problem is not sensative to load order and was active under two
different SPs. However, checking the memory is a good suggestion.

I will also look into how to tell Outlook not to use IPv6. I have already
turned off (external) IPv6 in the registry and stopped the IPv6 helper
service. When I stop the IPv6 driver, then Outlook stops responding.

When I used Norton firewall, I disabled ICMPv6 and that solved the problem.
However, Norton AV was doing nasty things to my system. When I switched
firewalls and AV the problem reappeared.

Thanks,
Martin Katz

From: nass on

Whta about Renaming the tcpip6.sys to tcpip6.sys.old in this path:
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\tcpip6.sys.old
And see if that will eliminate the issue or as I said the Minidumps will
help to pin point what initiating tcpipv6.sys to start and cause this error.