From: Sardine on
Dirk wrote:
> Im looking for a free data back up program that will only back up the files
> that have changed since the previous back up.
> Any suggestions
> Thank you

You want the freeware "Karen's Replicator" for exactly what you are
asking for.

This software saves copies that are not compressed into a proprietary
format. You can simply use the backed up files.

The first time you run it, it backs up all files in the source you
specify. The next time it only backs up (adds to the target folder) the
new and changed files.

Once you set it up, it is a single click to run it. I love it.

Sardine
From: Raoul Watson on
Dirk wrote:
> Im looking for a free data back up program that will only back up the files
> that have changed since the previous back up.
> Any suggestions
> Thank you

For data files, you can just write a one liner batch file like this:
(the remarks are for explanation you don't need to type those lines in)

@echo off
rem /I = creates subdirs as needed
rem /S = includes subdirs
rem /E = includes empty dirs
rem /Y = no prompt for overwriting (YES = default)
rem /H = includes hidden files
rem /R = overwrites Read Only files
rem /D = copies changed files only (first time will be ALL)
rem /C = continues even if an error occur (for open/used files)

xcopy C:\ X:\CBACKUP /I /S /E /Y /H /R /D /C

X:\CBACKUP is your destination drive or directory/
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:58:58 +0000, EN59CVH
<EN59CVH(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> If the data is extremely important than clearly you can't rely on a free
> program. You would do yourself justice if you spend a few bob on Norton
> Ghost 15 that is tried and tested for over 20 years or more since the
> DOS days.

I completely disagree with both things you say above:

1. Your view that a freeware program is necessarily less reliable than
one you have to pay for.

2. Your view that any Norton product is more reliable than any of its
competitors.

My recommendation is stay as far away as possible from all Norton
products.

> Dirk wrote:
> >
> > Im looking for a free data back up program that will only back up the files
> > that have changed since the previous back up.
> > Any suggestions
> > Thank you

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Twayne on
In news:6v8lo559j55uf6qruq0i25vv0bv9nj6f9b(a)4ax.com,
Ken Blake, MVP <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> typed:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:58:58 +0000, EN59CVH
> <EN59CVH(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> If the data is extremely important than clearly you can't rely on a
>> free program. You would do yourself justice if you spend a few bob
>> on Norton Ghost 15 that is tried and tested for over 20 years or
>> more since the DOS days.
>

> I completely disagree with both things you say above:
>
> 1. Your view that a freeware program is necessarily less reliable than
> one you have to pay for.
>
> 2. Your view that any Norton product is more reliable than any of its
> competitors.
>
> My recommendation is stay as far away as possible from all Norton
> products.

Which is precisely why many of youre "recommendations" fall on deaf ears.
Norton Ghost is one of the best imaging setups you'll find and posesses a
host of useful bells & whistles. Acronis True Image is as good and just as
reliable for imaging with only a few things Ghost can do that are missing,
and one or two things Ghost can't do. If Acronis could also perform true
cloning operations it would be on an even footing with Ghost, in fact. I
have Ghost and other 2009/2010 verstions of Norton on this machine and TI on
the Dell dual xeos server behind me. As is legally allowed, Ghost is also
installed on two other machines here, both laptops. TI is only on one
machine. Neither has ever had a problem with storing/restoreing drive
images.
You need to come up to speed with the real world, you really do.

HTH,

Twayne

>> Dirk wrote:
>>>
>>> Im looking for a free data back up program that will only back up
>>> the files that have changed since the previous back up.
>>> Any suggestions
>>> Thank you

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

From: Twayne on
In news:hmcpvf$ksf$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
Raoul Watson <WatsonR(a)IntelligenCIA.com> typed:
> Dirk wrote:
>> Im looking for a free data back up program that will only back up
>> the files that have changed since the previous back up.
>> Any suggestions
>> Thank you
>>

> For data files, you can just write a one liner batch file like this:
> (the remarks are for explanation you don't need to type those lines
> in)
>
> @echo off
> rem /I = creates subdirs as needed
> rem /S = includes subdirs
> rem /E = includes empty dirs
> rem /Y = no prompt for overwriting (YES = default)
> rem /H = includes hidden files
> rem /R = overwrites Read Only files
> rem /D = copies changed files only (first time will be ALL)
> rem /C = continues even if an error occur (for open/used files)
>
> xcopy C:\ X:\CBACKUP /I /S /E /Y /H /R /D /C
>

> X:\CBACKUP is your destination drive or directory/

That appears as though it will work quite well. And, it's native to XP and
can be run from the desktop. Personally I think at the end a pause and
possibly a note that the user may look back thru the files would be a good
addition, but ... not a necessity by any means.

I do think I'd have it create a logfile to go with it, though.

Caveats:
-- Can not back up the OS due to files "in use", but you didn't say it
would. I just point it out because some won't catch it right away.
-- Beware backup file redundancy; in other words, be sure to NOT back up
the backup file - it sometimes gets "interesting" if you do and the backup
becomes worthless.
-- As written, the batch file will have to reside in the system Path, or
exist on each hard drive letter. It's probably best to place the batch file
in ...\System\, which is in the Path, and precede the line with a refrence
to each drive letter present. e.g.

Assuming CBACKUP is a drive used ONLY for backup and is NOT one of the ones
to be backed up:

@echo off
echo.
echo Explain to the user what's about to happen. Maybe mention CTRL-C to
stop the echo batch from running.
echo.
pause
xcopy C:\ X:\CBACKUP /I /S /E /Y /H /R /D /C
echo Drive C done...starting Drive D
echo.
pause
xcopy D:\ X:\CBACKUP /I /S /E /Y /H /R /D /C
echo Drive D done...starting drive E
echo.
pause
xcopy E:\ X:\CBACKUP /I /S /E /Y /H /R /D /C
echo Done.
echo.
pause
Exit

CBACKUP can not exist on any of the drives being backed up without creating
the possibility of making a drive capacity-filling file and ruining the
whole process.

There needs to be one line for each drive letter being backed up.

And of course some error checking would be good but probably not necessary
as long as the batch file were closely checked to be sure it does what it
needs to do.

It could even back up to a compressed drive or folder to save a little space
on the backup drive.

IMO, XP's ntbackup is a better solution and avoids the problem of trying to
backup the backup file, plus it will back up the OS if requested also.

From a comand prompt, ntbackup /? will list all the possible
switches and their descriptions. In reality what that will do is open
ntbackup.exe and then open Help to the section that describes the switches
and parameters. Quite useful.
Likewise, xcopy /? will get you help for the xcopy
command.

HTH,

Twayne