From: R. C. White on
Hi, John.

I'm running Quicken 2010 Deluxe Release R 9 on Win7 Ultimate x64.

Yes, there IS a message box that pops up after the manual Backup (<Ctrl>+B,
or click Backup). It says:
"Quicken data file backed up successfully."

And, below that is a check box with the caption:
"Don't show again" - and an "OK" box.

As Andrew said, I prefer to see the confirmation, even though I backup
several times a day and have often been tempted to check the box.

And, no, I don't know how to turn it back on, but I suspect there is a
setting somewhere in the Registry or in a Quicken .ini file.

(My WLMail is having problems for the past month or so and does not "Include
message in reply", even though that box is checked - and also does not
"Insert Signature", which some readers might consider a blessing. <g>)

RC

"John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

From: Jim H on
Andrew wrote:
> As far as not showing it, if I am doing a backup (and I too do multiples a
> day), I ALWAYS want to see the 'success' message of a backup operation.
> What's the point of doing one if one doesn't even care enough to view a
> success message! I don't want to take the chance it didn't work (but I do
> wonder if it failed does one receive such an indication at that point if one
> is NOT seeing the message?)

I don't want the computer to always tell me that it did what I wanted.
In my opinion, that should be taken for granted. Instead, tell me when
it can't do what I want. I'm often doing more than one thing at a time.
I don't want to be interrupted from what I am currently focused on to
respond to an "I did what you told me" message.

The message doesn't guarantee that the backup is any good, only that no
error was reported. The only way to know that a backup is truly
successful is to perform a compare or to restore of the data. As far as
I know, Quicken does not have any compare function to verify the backup
data.

I used to write test drivers for disk and tape storage. I know full well
that just because it says the data was written doesn't mean it was, or
that it can be read properly.
--
Jim

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Jim.

I agree with you.

Yes, I know I posted earlier that I like to see the confirmation message.
But your idea - show a message only when the backup fails - is better.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: Andrew on
R. C. White wrote:
> Hi, Jim.
>
> I agree with you.
>
> Yes, I know I posted earlier that I like to see the confirmation
> message. But your idea - show a message only when the backup fails -
> is better.
> RC

Well, certainly I agree that if it FAILS, it is more important to have a
message that indicates it failed as opposed to seeing it was successful.
But, never the less, I still like the warm fuzzy feeling of success. Maybe
I didn't have enough suckling as a baby, but I like what I have today.

Regards -

- Andrew

From: Jerry Boyle on

"John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> My recollection is that the message was removed in Q2010. I'm also
> reasonably certain there was never an option to remove, or recover, the
> backup successful message in previous Quicken versions (definitely not in
> Q2008) ... and I think not avaiilable in early releases of Q2010. I have
> not yet ever used Q2010 R9 (I last used R8), but my bet is that if the
> option to eliminate/recover the backup successful message is now
> available, it only became available in R9.
>
> Bottom line: I think some users of Q2010 who are not using R9 will not see
> the backup successful message, and will not be able to recover that
> message - without upgrading to R9.

I had that message in all releases of Q08 and ever since I converted to Q10
on 3/18 (when they were on R8 or earlier). I never used Q09.

Perhaps Q09 or an earlier release of Q10 (but not the later ones) removed
the message when the DB was converted. You can test this hypothesis by
reconverting a backup Q08 DB that still had the message. If the message
appears in the reconverted (using Q10 R9) Q08 DB but not in your current DB
then either the above hypothesis is true or you accidentally turned off the
message.

In addition if you can create two Q10 DBs, one with and one without the
message, that proves that the feature is associated with the DB. In this
case there's no sense in trying to recover the message by reinstalling Q10.

I'd run the above test but I don't want to risk losing my message. However,
it'd be nice if someone who's already lost their message could try the above
and report the result back to the group.

Jerry

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: IRA shows as uncategorized income