From: trvlnmny on
I am using w XP & Q 2010.
Periodically I back up my Q data to an external device. I am used to
getting a message saying 'Backup Complete' or words meaning that. I am
no longer receiving that message. I have checked Preferences but do
not see anything that controls that. does anyone know how that is
controlled as I would like to have it back? It is probably right in
front of me but I am unable to see it. Advanced age I guess.
Thanks for any and all help.
From: John Pollard on
trvlnmny wrote:
> I am using w XP & Q 2010.
> Periodically I back up my Q data to an external device. I am used to
> getting a message saying 'Backup Complete' or words meaning that. I am
> no longer receiving that message. I have checked Preferences but do
> not see anything that controls that. does anyone know how that is
> controlled as I would like to have it back? It is probably right in
> front of me but I am unable to see it. Advanced age I guess.

Intuit removed the message because some users, who backed up many times a
day, didn't want to keep seeing, and having to respond to, the message.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Art McClinton on

"John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> trvlnmny wrote:
>> I am using w XP & Q 2010.
>> Periodically I back up my Q data to an external device. I am used to
>> getting a message saying 'Backup Complete' or words meaning that. I am
>> no longer receiving that message. I have checked Preferences but do
>> not see anything that controls that. does anyone know how that is
>> controlled as I would like to have it back? It is probably right in
>> front of me but I am unable to see it. Advanced age I guess.
>
> Intuit removed the message because some users, who backed up many times a
> day, didn't want to keep seeing, and having to respond to, the message.
>
> --
>
> John Pollard
> Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

?? I have not seen this the case. The message exists on my machine. I am
running Q2010 R9 and when I backup to a USB I receive the Backup Complete
message. I see a check box that offers to provide the option of never
seeing the message again. I remember that some one asked how to turn the
message back on after checking the box. The consensus seemed to be that
Intuit did not provide a way to turn it back on. Someone suggested
re-installing Quicken to see if that would re-enable the completion notice.
However, I do not remember anyone saying that it solved the problem.

Art McClinton

From: John Pollard on
Art McClinton wrote:
> "John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> trvlnmny wrote:
>>> I am using w XP & Q 2010.
>>> Periodically I back up my Q data to an external device. I am used to
>>> getting a message saying 'Backup Complete' or words meaning that. I
>>> am no longer receiving that message. I have checked Preferences but
>>> do not see anything that controls that. does anyone know how that is
>>> controlled as I would like to have it back? It is probably right in
>>> front of me but I am unable to see it. Advanced age I guess.

>> Intuit removed the message because some users, who backed up many
>> times a day, didn't want to keep seeing, and having to respond to,
>> the message.

> ?? I have not seen this the case. The message exists on my machine. I
> am running Q2010 R9 and when I backup to a USB I receive the Backup
> Complete message. I see a check box that offers to provide the
> option of never seeing the message again. I remember that some one
> asked how to turn the message back on after checking the box. The
> consensus seemed to be that Intuit did not provide a way to turn it
> back on. Someone suggested re-installing Quicken to see if that would
> re-enable the completion notice. However, I do not remember anyone
> saying that it solved the problem.

I am temporarily (I hope) unable to run Q2010; but I know for certain that
Intuit published the fact that they intentionally removed the "backup
successful" message ... they provided that information in response to
complaints that the message was no longer available.

My recollection is that the message was removed in Q2010. I'm also
reasonably certain there was never an option to remove, or recover, the
backup successful message in previous Quicken versions (definitely not in
Q2008) ... and I think not avaiilable in early releases of Q2010. I have
not yet ever used Q2010 R9 (I last used R8), but my bet is that if the
option to eliminate/recover the backup successful message is now
available, it only became available in R9.

Bottom line: I think some users of Q2010 who are not using R9 will not see
the backup successful message, and will not be able to recover that
message - without upgrading to R9.

From: Andrew on
Art McClinton wrote:
> ?? I have not seen this the case. The message exists on my machine. I
> am running Q2010 R9 and when I backup to a USB I receive the Backup
> Complete message. I see a check box that offers to provide the
> option of never seeing the message again. I remember that some one
> asked how to turn the message back on after checking the box. ... Art
> McClinton

Art - this is exactly how I remember it as well. I've run the gamut off all
Q2010 releases upgrades as well.

I've never 'not' seen it, nor did I ever turn it off.

As far as not showing it, if I am doing a backup (and I too do multiples a
day), I ALWAYS want to see the 'success' message of a backup operation.
What's the point of doing one if one doesn't even care enough to view a
success message! I don't want to take the chance it didn't work (but I do
wonder if it failed does one receive such an indication at that point if one
is NOT seeing the message?)
Regards -

- Andrew